Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We're having friends over this evening, and plan to introduce the game to them (cooperatively). My wife and I have done the first three cases so far. To save time, my wife and I were going to "do our homework" by reading the case and the newspaper beforehand, so that only our guests will need to read them.

But the "Holmes" part of the case, the one in the case book, seems to just be a letter from him saying "Check out today's newspaper!" It seems like a bit of a letdown, frankly, after the first three case introductions.

So, we're just supposed to read the newspaper and decide what he's referring to? Considering the name of the case, is that a good place to start?

I usually wouldn't ask for "clues" to start off with, but I'd really like our friends to like this game, and don't want to start the game off with zero clue on what we should be looking for.

I also hope that the remaining cases have better introductions than this one.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was one of my favorite cases. Take in mind each case tries to throw in some little twist so you dont get used to solve them using the same gamey system every time, making you rely on your own deductive capabilities. In this one you start by having to figure out what the actual case is. Brilliant!

Most of the cases have a one page intro at least.

And if I were you, I would listen to the Master, yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved this opening. Most memorable and interesting by far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Blome
Germany
Herne
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Special Agent Simon - Essen 2015
mb
I love this case! So interesting, twisty and hard.

One thing bothered me though (don't read this if you haven't played the case!):
Spoiler (click to reveal)
There is no mention of the sidequest around the dead seaman in the Quiz in my version (original German SdJ version)! I was disappointed about that, because we spend a lot of time discussing and solving that particular case and visited different locations referring to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Heitman
United States
Norwalk
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah- the opening is a plus. Sherlock is showing trust and issuing a challenge. Making the discovery of the crime itself part of the puzzle was brilliant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Horm
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah this was a fun case, but I wouldn't recommend this case for somebody brand new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Brankov
Serbia
Novi Sad
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Acererak wrote:
Take in mind each case tries to throw in some little twist so you dont get used to solve them using the same gamey system every time, making you rely on your own deductive capabilities.

Yesterday I found out you don't use deduction here at all. Shelock Holmes never used deductive reasoning. He rather harnessed the powers of abductive reasoning. Link

EDIT: Also, my favourite case!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.