9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming Photography

Subject: Escape Photos rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lara Salomon
South Africa
flag msg tools
I wasn't as happy with these photos of Escape as I have been for some of the previous games, but can't place my finger on why that might be. Would love some feedback as to what others think. One example below.

http://thegeekess.co.za/2014/09/12/dare-to-escape/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Especially for the top and bottom photographs, I like the composition just fine, but perhaps they would be improved if they had more depth of field.

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lara Salomon
South Africa
flag msg tools
Gambiteer wrote:
Especially for the top and bottom photographs, I like the composition just fine, but perhaps they would be improved if they had more depth of field.

cool

Yeah, apparently shallow depth of field is something that I do too often. I try to make sure that some of the photos have deeper depth of field, but these particular ones are pretty shallow...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Top photo: the camera points away from the action. You generally want to either isolate your subject against a very simple background or put them in perspective and include fore-, middle-, and background. This photo points away from the board leaving the backround very lacking.
Besides, when you're photographing meeples it sometimes helps to think of them as real people and compose accordingly. You wouldn't normally take a photo of a group of men from that distance and angle (perhaps one, but not both). Try to move in closer and/or go lower or higher.

Middle photo: your background is too busy. You've got some nice color shifts going, but they detract from the center of focus. Perhaps it'd be better if the change happened behind the dice and not above them.
You've also put the dice just below the golden line, so that makes it feel a bit off. Another width/height ratio might have tightened the photo. Tey playing around with cropping the top away.

Bottom photo: your background's tiled pattern pulls away from the viewer. Had you moved a bit more to the right the corner would be pointing towards (and away from) the camera for a more dynamic composition.

Edit: I don't mind the shallow field, but you need to check your background and not be too distracted with the center of focus. Also: try and experiment with compositions where something interesting is hiding in the bokeh (e.g. think Litlle Red Riding Hood with the wolf outlined behind).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Test Candidate (sans Deadly Neurotoxin)
badge
Warming up the deadly neurotoxin...
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambiteer wrote:

cool

You are cra cra. They look good just the way they are. Bokeh for life!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hexis wrote:
Gambiteer wrote:

cool

You are cra cra. They look good just the way they are. Bokeh for life!

Please keep your insults to yourself. The lady asked for people to share their thoughts, and I did that and only that. This is purely a matter of personal taste, and my opinion is every bit as valid as yours. I managed to contribute without stooping to a personal attack on anyone whom I do not know, who may have a preference for a different photographic style than my own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Questioning Answers is as important as Answering Questions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the DoF is fine. It's an "artsy" thing to do which is not always appropriate but in these pictures there is nothing important going on in the background so I say blur away.

However, I think in these examples the background is too bright, especially in the first and third one. When I look at the top image it almost feels like I'm looking at a greenish hole between two yellow objects but in reality it's exactly the other way around and that confuses the eye. With a darker background the subjects would pop more.

That group of adventurers almost calls for a spotlight in the darkness to convey the mystery of the temple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see a contradiction, or even a disconnect, between how the items are assembled and how they are focused.

TOP: Five pawns circle a design, as if they themselves are focused on it so it must be something significant. But then the design is not fully in focus, so I am confused. So too the five pawns not all in focus when the concept seemed to be about a group effort.

MID: The low position of the dice and the given focus implies that is where my attention should be. The background, however has a disruption that also draws my eye, and it has no relation.

BOTTOM: an assemblage of gems within the boundaries of a framing design, which implies importance for the design yet it is not focused. The position tells me it may have been meant as a highlight to the gems and yet the focus denies my understanding. Also, why are three gems specially in focus as opposed to all? I see no particular positioning that calls to isolate those, so I have no idea why they are given more importance.

Close focus is a way to hightlight something. For the Top and Bottom here I am feeling unsettled in trying to determine what is intended by the highlight. The middle just plain has a distraction that is unsettling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lara Salomon
South Africa
flag msg tools
Thanks all for the feedback! Definitely something to keep in mind for the next photo session - will try to find a darker or simpler background as a few of you have suggested. Will also try to concentrate more on the framing of the photos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.