Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hadn't heard about this game until it appeared as a new release in an online retailers email.

I was intrigued by the premise so I watched Tom Vasel's video review (not my usual go-to guy for war themed games but not many choices)

I watched the video and thought huh? sounds about as complex as Snap.

I know it's lite, but is there a game hiding in there somewhere?

This is a genuine question because I might buy it if there is.

I'm not expecting Twilight Struggle obviously, but I do like a bit of depth in games, even lite ones.

Then I looked at the ratings for the game and noticed that the majority are 9's and 10's.... is there a bit of schilling going on there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Higdon
United States
madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The basic mechanics are pretty lite, but the custom decks for each nation really offer a lot of options. Given the way that you start the game, pay for certain effects, and the way economic rules work, there's a lot of variability in the way a particular nation will play so you're forced to make some pretty tough decisions (imo) during the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Avallone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The basic mechanics of the game are very simple, but there is a great deal of complexity in the cards: how they work together or counter one another, how best to plan your subsequent moves based on the cards you're holding, etc.

It might be worthwhile to take a look at the rulebook (available online here: http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/104116/quartermaster-gener...) There are a couple of card play examples at the end which might help you gauge how complex the back and forth can get (somewhat complex, but not overwhelming IMO.)

There's also a complete listing of all the cards in the game available here, which might be illuminating: http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/107458/qmg-national-card-d...

Full disclosure: I was the art director & illustrator for the game. But that said, I do sincerely love this one, am always ready to play it and don't think that will ever change (a "10" by definition.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Coelho
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Full disclosure: I run a game store, and I love innovative war games.

I went into this game expecting a dud. I'm not fully converted, but this is quite fun. I haven't gotten it to the table with anyone else yet for a full game, but I've taught two others and you seriously can teach the majority of the rules in about 5 minutes and get the game going.

There are two things that will trip people up in the beginning, and it is no coincidence that they are exactly the same things the designer seems to have targeted to give the game depth. Those two things would be the concept of supply and the individual nation decks.

The core mechanic of Supply is actually really simple to explain and understand, but many of the actions and card plays in the game relate to it in ways that don't always click at first. Expect to get it wrong your first game with several cards.

The nations decks underscore the unique attributes of their factions, it really requires a couple plays to fully grasp what tactics and strategies they are tailored towards. For example, Japan plays very, very different from the other factions, and not only because of its geographical positioning.

I was impressed and I think because of its short playtime of about 90 minutes or so(much longer in solo play btw) and quick teaching rules it will stay a keeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael parsons
msg tools
mb
I gave the game a 10 and am completely unbiased. I have no connection with the company and I no longer own a game store. I discovered the game and Griggling Games at WBC this year and out of all the new games I played there Quartermaster General was one of the two best. (The other being Concordia which I also gave a 10) I have played and own lots of games. Quarter Master general is one of my favorites at the moment. It is yet to be determined if it has the staying power of Power Grid or Peuto Rico, but right now it's fresh, innovative and lots of fun. Besides finding a good 6 player game is tough. You can only play Power Grid so many times before everyone is sick of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo play as in playing the game by yourself or is there a solo variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:

I know it's lite, but is there a game hiding in there somewhere?

Then I looked at the ratings for the game and noticed that the majority are 9's and 10's.... is there a bit of schilling going on there?

It's quite challenging to estimate which, when, and how many cards to discard to obtain the card combinations needed to advance one's strategy. Each of the six powers has several possible strategies.

I have no stake in the game. My friends and I enjoy it as it's easy to learn but does have depths to explore. I gave it a "9" for its fun factor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of my best games have simple rule sets with difficult decisions to make. Or easy to learn but hard to master. Quartermaster General will have you kicking yourself for an obvious blunder after your first game, but then the next game Germany did something completely different and you have to rethink your whole worldview.

If Axis & Allies and poker had a baby but it was kidnapped at birth and raised by card based eurogames you'd get QG.

P.S.: I was quartermaster for my boy scout troop for a while and this game is nothing like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Obsolete Man
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no relation to the designer, company, etc. I give it a completely unabashed 10.

It is a very abstract presentation of WWII, but it does present it. For example, to build a fleet you not only have to have an adjacent supplied unit of your own country, in addition at least one adjacent unit to the fleet must be a supplied land unit. So there's no rule that says that Japan or the USA have to go after any of the islands in the Pacific, but you do in fact have to take some of them just to project naval force across the ocean. It's a basic little rule with a ton of consequences.

Likewise, the Axis cannot use straits unless they control the governing space (and this denies them to the Allies). So why do they go to North Africa? To protect the Med (and Italy and the Balkans), to allow movement out of the Med, to fulfill the conditions for special cards, etc. You don't have to do it, but it makes sense to do it.

That's how the whole game feels to me. Very simple but with all sorts of implications.

I've seen both sides win. I've seen the USSR conquer Germany. I've seen Germany conquer Moscow. I've seen Japan rule East Asia. I've seen the Allies rule East Asia. Depending on the cards drawn, the cards played and all the various decisions, just about anything can happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What attracted me to this game was the setting and card art but after reading more about it I started to turn away when I found out it was pretty abstract and had a focus on the chain of supply. I kept following it though and decided to take a chance on it after seeing the high ratings it was getting. Well my order just came in today and I just finished a test run (playing solo but attempting to mimic a 6 player game) and I have to say, this game exceeded my expectations. I can't say for sure it will play as well when I have actual live players but right now I would rate it a 9. If I had to guess it will only get better with real players so this game has a real chance of reaching a 10 for me.

Anyway from my very early impressions it definitely feels rules "lite" but there are lots of interesting decisions to be made which I think is a mark of a good game. What makes it fun though (for me) is that a cool narrative was unfolding for me and despite the abstract feel to the game, it actually felt semi-realistic/historical. The cards and the board itself push you towards certain strategies and actions that feel plausible and thematic. The cards also encourage you to monitor both your teammates and enemies, so I suspect even when you are waiting for you turn you will still be invested in the game and won't get too bored.

Who knows, maybe I won't be so happy when I sit down with my friends but right now I am VERY happy I gave it a chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your feedback everyone.

I am still a bit on the fence about it because of my personal tastes in games.

I don't like abstracts at all (including games with pasted on themes) and I don't like many eurogames. Mentions of Power Grid and Puerto Rico go straight past me.

My preferences are for light/medium wargames (mostly CDG's), strongly thematic games and Ameristyle games (but no zombies).

I think I need to see a video by marnaudo or calandale to get a better feel for the game than I got from Tom Vasel.

I am still intrigued by a different take on war though.

1750: Britain vs. France is a game I'm backing on KS for the same reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I encourage you to look at my collection then (just keep in mind some games I own for my wife and kids but these are lower rated usually). My "10's" are games like Mage Wars, X-Wing, Battlestar Galactica, Chaos in the Old World, Twilight Struggle etc., so clearly theme/setting is a big deal for me as well. I do enjoy all types of games mind you but even my euro's tend to be the more theme-rich ones, and of abstracts I'd argue I only own one and it's on the very lite side (Quoridor). If anything I'd expect you to be more predisposed to like this game than I am based on your collection.

Yes it does seem abstract at first but the theme quickly took over for me as did the tension of the card play. It honestly felt on a level with something like Cosmic Encounter where it is dry at it's core but the cards, asymmetry, counter plays, and trying to out wit your opponents immerses you. Maybe that's not the best comparison but both are clean designs that don't bog the interesting and fun parts down so it's not too far off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Obsolete Man
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:

I don't like abstracts at all (including games with pasted on themes) and I don't like many eurogames. Mentions of Power Grid and Puerto Rico go straight past me.

If it makes you feel any better, I've never played Power Grid or Puerto Rico but I do play ASL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Requete wrote:
philmcd wrote:

If it makes you feel any better, I've never played Power Grid or Puerto Rico but I do play ASL.

Not really, I really dislike ASL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Coelho
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:

My preferences are for light/medium wargames (mostly CDG's), strongly thematic games and Ameristyle games (but no zombies).

I think I need to see a video by marnaudo or calandale to get a better feel for the game than I got from Tom Vasel.

I am still intrigued by a different take on war though.

1750: Britain vs. France is a game I'm backing on KS for the same reason.

The artwork, cards, and board are all extremely well done and evoke the theme perfectly. When people say it isn't what they expect of a World War II game, they mean that Italy will sometimes capture India, that it isn't TOO unreasonable for Germany to take over Britain. You don't move units, which really messes with people's heads. You don't roll dice and have battles. But all of that would betray the quick playing time and the extremely stressful card play. And once the card play clicks, and you realize from the very first turn the massive implications of each nation being forced to discard 3 cards from their deck for the rest of the game--it acts like locking nations in or out of certain strategies....will you play a UK that is heavy on colonial recruitment, or keep those Build Navy cards so you can expand your sea presence and lock the Axis out of the Atlantic?

I can't wait to play again, and it fits the beer and pretzels quick playing WWII game setting perfectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules simplicity with great replayability and interesting player decisions to make is pretty much the definition of an elegant design. The only people who will be disappointed are those who want to roll lots if dice and kill things, like some game reviewers...

One of the "hidden" complexities is the play among countries on the same team. Your teammate, attempting to be helpful, may not make the best play for you. But you can't confer on which cards you have, and if he plays a card that has consequences for you, you have to deal with it. This simulates politics between ally nations, which could not be absolutely controlled by one of them. And this is just one example of the excellent design, which puts much depth behind the rules simplicity.

I have now played it with one and three live opponents and we all love it, although with us it seems to take longer than the advertised 1 1/12--2 hours. But these were learning games with all newbies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Mink

Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Setup: give each country a deck and a few armies and navies, Put an army on each home base. Put 3 markers on the map.

Grab 10 cards. Discard 3. Go.

Lite in that regard? yes.

After that it's ninety minutes of intense action.

This is a hidden gem. Had a major company had released this, it would be rising up the charts.

Only drawback for you would not being able to get together a six-player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tmink wrote:
Setup: give each country a deck and a few armies and navies, Put an army on each home base. Put 3 markers on the map.

Grab 5 cards. Go.

Lite in that regard? yes.

After that it's ninety minutes of intense action.

This is a hidden gem. Had a major company had released this, it would be rising up the charts.

Only drawback for you would not being able to get together a six-player game.

Yes, the majority of my cardboard-pushing is done solo... I'm still hoping that someone will answer my question about a solo variant.

However, most of my competitive gaming is done on vassal so hopefully a module will appear in due course. Though of course I would still buy the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than playing both sides simultaneously, what do you have in mind for a solo version?

It's too complex for a write-up of AI-based decision making.

Pre-scheduling the order of land and sea spaces in which each Power battles and builds-out would not be very interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnimalMother wrote:
Other than playing both sides simultaneously, what do you have in mind for a solo version?

It's too complex for a write-up of AI-based decision making.

Pre-scheduling the order of land and sea spaces in which each Power battles and builds-out would not be very interesting.

It's not about what I have in mind, I don't know the game. Someone mentioned playing solo and I asked if there was an official solo variant in the rules as there is in some games.

I'm assuming from what you say that there isn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no solo version. I solo almost all of my games first to learn them. I got through doing this and learned the game, but six nations is a bit much for one player to handle, even if you don't mind more or less knowing what the other guy has in his hand!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
There is no solo version. I solo almost all of my games first to learn them. I got through doing this and learned the game, but six nations is a bit much for one player to handle, even if you don't mind more or less knowing what the other guy has in his hand!

I have become adept at playing most games solo over the years, compartmentalising information and playing only according to what can be seen. I often prefer to do this to official solo options because they sometimes feel more like a puzzle than a game (Archipelago for instance)

The only games I have a real problem with are those that include concealed units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK... I weakened

I have the game on order

I have been impressed by the genuine enthusiasm expressed in this thread. I know that doesn't guarantee the game will be to my taste, but it sounds different enough to warrant trying and unfortunately I wouldn't be able to try before I buy.

Wish me luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please let us know what you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.