GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,704 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Matt E
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone, A newer member of our small gaming group was known for having dice rolls which ending up more like boulders which would take out numerous board pieces, nearly every roll. A few months ago I figured there had to be some device out there which could help save our towns folk – enter dice tower.

After a bit of researching I determined it wouldn’t be too hard to make my own towers. So I developed my first dice tower.

In order to make this first tower I took 3 ½” pine board, cut 4 5 ½” pieces and put a 45 miter on each corner. The two side boards I marked where I wanted the platforms, the top two smaller and at 22.5 degrees the bottom full size and 45 degrees. I then used ¼” chisel to rough out channels in two of the boards to make room for the platforms. The platforms are made out of ¼” thick 3” wide poplar, which I had to trim a bit to get the width right. Once those were cut out and dry fit I stained and varnished the inside walls. Each platform I glued on felt to help protect the dice and muffle the sound (also because it looked cool).

This is a picture of a later tower but sadly I didn’t take a ton of pictures during construction. This is two pieces with a dry fit of the inside platforms.

Once everything was dry I glued the corners and let the box dry overnight. After the tower was put together I got ready to put the design on the front. I had meant to do this BEFORE putting it all together but it ended up working out fine for me. I found a design I liked online and did a bit of editing in paint .net before I printed it off. I then used painters tape and a sharp knife to transfer on the design. I used a dremel and a carving bit to carve it out. A more sanding, staining, and varnishing I let everything dry again.

After it was dry I gave it a few dry runs and realized a tray would be a good idea – those dice can really shoot out! At first I wanted to do something cool with magnets in the tray and tower so I could fold up the dice tower for storage but decided to try screws first since I figured this would be moved around a lot and didn’t want the bottom or top flying off. I cut out a 9 ½” long board and covered it with glue and felt. I then attached smaller ¼ by 1 ½” poplar boards to keep the dice in the tray. In the bottom I made three holes and counter sunk 1 ½” screws through the bottom into the tower. I then cut out plugs and glued them into the bottom. After another round of stain/varnish I was nearly done. For the finishing touches I wanted to add something which would protect any surface I set the tower on. I couldn’t find anything which would work exactly how I wanted so I ended up taking some brass wood corner guards which I coated in a rubber coating to keep it soft, non-slip, and protective. Here is how it turned out.

Once that was done I had already planned out my next tower. I gave the first one a good game night, or two, of use and came up with a few modifications. While I had made the first one big enough for large ¾” dice there were rare occasions where one could get stuck (easily poked out). Another problem was some people had a bit of trouble getting the dice in the tower and not on the table (alcohol may have been a factor).

So the modifications I made included doing a rabbit in the front and back pieces rather than 45s. This made my opening a bit bigger. Also I made everything a bit bigger overall. Besides that I followed the instructions above.

They turned out even better, I think. I’m also pleased to say that my game pieces are safe from my wild rolling friends. The text on the one "If you see something, say nothing, and drink to forget"

Hope you enjoy

Edit: increased picture sizes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woody Taylor
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That polka-dot pink is ugly, where ugly = amazingly awesome! Very well done. May the dice favor you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
woodshow wrote:
That polka-dot pink is ugly, where ugly = amazingly awesome! Very well done. May the dice favor you.

Thanks, the color just worked to well for a Night Vale themed roller.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digger Cook
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They look great! Well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Kindt
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to make the side walls of your tray a bit taller, particularly if you use 20-siders or other semi-round dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bkindt wrote:
You might want to make the side walls of your tray a bit taller, particularly if you use 20-siders or other semi-round dice.

I haven't had any problems with dice rolling over the sides. My group seems to agree it's a good height to keep things in while still making it easy enough to pull stuff out. The one thing that might be a problem is some of the felt I used is textured (because that was clearly cooler looking) so smaller dice with lots of faces could, possibly, have issues lying flat - but we've had no such issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.