Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First Draft

You need to print these in irfanview at 1.25 ratio. Sleeve in penny sleeves if wanted. There will be no card back. I learned last time about ink usage with Rip Entry, and I will not be making card backs ha ha ha. Okay so I had a good time, but this time we will not model our game after games we do not like. Though I don't know whether or not I will actually like this one. Making games is hard. And I am just guessing at it.

Print x 3 so 18 of each color.

--------------------------------

Original master before applique.

I visual artsuses it. No seriously. I know nothing. I played in Microsoft paint. I bet you can't tell. Hee hee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

There is the picture of the setup.

Pen E is not pictured. It lies to the right of Pen D. It is the General Pound.

Your overflow rescue station is your Personal Pound.

Green, Orange, and Purple are not tertiary colors. I was informed of this by my wife. They are only secondary colors.

Also this is not a game about breeding cats or animals. It is an abstract. Because it makes my wife sad to think of the actual theme. I don't know what these things are that are breeding, or why they live in pens, or go to a pound etc... We will pretend it is an abstract.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Description of the game, "A Certain Breed" at this point.

Players are trying to claim pens before they get to 30 pieces and are emptied into the general pound. They want to claim pieces in the two colors that they are going for, with the final card used to win the pen in a color that they want to remove 1/2 of the current population of in their personal pound. They may only have one primary color pen and one secondary color pen. They may want to have a lot of cards in varying colors at the end of the game so that they can claim pieces from the general pound with 1 card claiming 1 piece therefore adding to their score. They do not want to have very many pieces in their personal pound because each piece is a negative point. However they will most likely have some pieces there. Purple pieces are worth 3 and breed less often. Orange pieces breed at a medium rate and are worth 2. Green pieces breed quickly and are worth 1. These are the secondary colors and players will choose to collect just one color out of these secondary colors in one pen. Primary colors will also be needed so players will have to choose which of blue, red, and yellow they will collect in the other pen as they can only choose one color for that pen also.

Final rules draft before playing it this week

Pen A is won by 3 cards
Pen B is won by 4 cards
Pen C is won by 5 cards
Pen D is won by 6 cards

When there are more than 30 pieces in any pen they go to Pen E which is the pound. The pieces are fixed before they go to the pound. Nothing breeds at the pound. The pieces just stay there.

Use 108 cards. 108 qwirkle pieces. And have you plenty of orange and green and purple pieces as pieces that will be created by breeding (I will just use the second qwirkle copy's pieces for its orange, purple, and green pieces to form a stock of each and have it handy within reach). These extra orange and purple and green pieces are not part of the 108 pieces in the draw bag (which is 18 pieces in 6 different colors, which is identical to the cards used in the game), but are added when necessary when pieces breed in the pens.

Breeding order is resolved in this order exactly

Yellow goes to Blue to make as much Green as possible. Then Yellow goes to Red to make as much Orange as possible. Then if there is Blue and Red left over they make Purple. Only one piece can breed with one other piece and then both of their breeding potential is used up. When they breed add one piece of the correct type to the pen.

Any cards on the opposite side are discarded if the opponent wins that pen.

The game ends when there are 7 cubes drawn of the same color during the seeding process. So 7 out of 10.

The game ends when one player runs out of cards.

The game ends if there are not enough cubes in the bag to seed the pens fully with the 10 required.

1. Draw 3 cards

2. Seed the pens with 1, 2, 3, 4 pieces randomly drawn from the bag.

3. Pieces breed. Red plus Yellow makes Orange, but then Red Yellow and Orange would be in the pen. Red and Yellow do not go away. They breed in the order listed above.

4. Count to make sure no pen's contents go to the pound. Greater than 30 pieces go to the pound.

5. Play now alternates between the two players. You play a card in front of the pen or you say pass. Then your opponent plays a card or says pass. Until you have each had a chance to choose to play a card or pass 3 times. You may choose to pass in order to have more cards in your hand for a future turn.

6. If a pen is won, then you take all of the contents of that pen and immediately declare what color your primary color will be: red, yellow, or blue. Also for your second pen declare what your secondary color will be: green (worth 1 point) orange (worth 2 points) or purples (worth 3 points). All colors that are not those declared colors go to your own personal pound off to the right of your personal pens. However, whatever color of card you played to win the pen, that last card layed, wins you back 1/2 of all pieces of the same color from your personal pound back to the draw bag. This is true for all future wins of pens.

7. Repeat 1-6 until the game ends.

8. At the end of the game, players then alternate turns to burn their remaining cards if they have any, to reclaim pieces from the general pound. For every card they play of the correct color they can claim one piece from the pound to earn 1 point per piece.

9. Count those 1 point pieces claimed from the general pound. Count up the primary pieces in your pen, each worth 1 point. Count up your secondary pieces in your other pen. If you chose green they will be worth 1 point per piece. Orange is worth 2 points per piece. Purple is worth 3 points per piece. Subtract 1 point for every piece you still have in your personal pound.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.