GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,522 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Archipelago» Forums » General

Subject: Open sea / desert village hex rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Dodge
United States
PACIFIC PALISADES
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the variant rules, it says that you can use the desert village hex to start, and it is on the other side of the open sea hex. My open sea hex and desert village hex are two different hexes, not on opposite sides of a single hex. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but I was curious if the manual was wrong, if all copies of the game are like this, or if my copy has this minor defect.

Thanks,
RJD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George I.
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rjdodge wrote:
In the variant rules, it says that you can use the desert village hex to start, and it is on the other side of the open sea hex. My open sea hex and desert village hex are two different hexes, not on opposite sides of a single hex. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but I was curious if the manual was wrong, if all copies of the game are like this, or if my copy has this minor defect.

Thanks,
RJD

Hi. Yes, they're not intended to be on the same tile. You could find the open sea / desert tile in mid-game, if starting with the other one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well .. they were intended to be the same hex, but they are not. everyone has the same misprint
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an unfortunate mistake, and the game would be much better if they were printed correctly, but yes we all have it and it's fine...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sterling
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I actually like it better this way, being able to find the desert/ocean/volcano tiles midgame adds an interesting element
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waldemar Bata
Poland
Toruń
flag msg tools
mbmb
Tempted by the reviews and the looks of it, I decided to order this game. I wonder though if the newest reprint has the same misprint, or is it fixed.
Can anyone confirm?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Delmeby
Sweden
Bromma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
von Klamke wrote:
Tempted by the reviews and the looks of it, I decided to order this game. I wonder though if the newest reprint has the same misprint, or is it fixed.
Can anyone confirm?

I bought a copy about a month ago. Not sure exactly which "print run" it was from but afaik the standard start tile and my desert are on separate tiles. I don't think it really matters at all. What is the drawback?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waldemar Bata
Poland
Toruń
flag msg tools
mbmb
Fixing the tiles
My game finally arrived, so I can confirm - the desert village and open sea are still on the different tiles. So, since this is a 2014 reprint and it was not fixed, we can call it a feature, not a flaw

Edit:
Explanations the creator gave, reassuring that the misprint is not influencing the game in any part didn't convince me. Moreover, the perfectionist inside me woke up sensing discord in the universe.
Finally, I took the knife wth the very fine blade and separated misprinted layers. To my surprise - it showed up to be easier then I expected. The printed layer came off the cardboard without problems - no bends, cuts or folding, and was glued with ease to their proper tiles. Half an hour under some heavy books, and voila. The tiles look great - it went so well I actually don't know which tile with the standard terrain was the one being fixed. I can assure you - it quite easy to do and you don't need to be a brain surgeon to fix the tiles without leaving any marks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.