GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,066 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Trivial Pursuit: Bet You Know It» Forums » Variants

Subject: House rules for a more interesting game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grey Fox
Portugal
Sintra
Sintra
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Having played the game a bit, I came up with a few tweaks to make it more interesting. At this point in time I doubt anyone will ever read this, but I thought I might share. You're obviously free to use only some of these, but here are mine:

*I removed the rule that allowed you to buy a wedge. It felt way too "untrivial".

Then, to make the chips have more use, I added the following rules:

3 Chips: Reroll the die.

5 Chips: In a "Buy Or Roll" space, you can pay this value to answer a question of a color of your choice.

7 Chips: After hearing the question, you can ignore it and pick one of the remaining 3 cards and answer that question instead. (of the same color)

7 Chips: After a opponent answers, but before the answer is revealed, you can pay to say that they are wrong and answer the question yourself, thus getting the wedge. If various players want to do this, the priority is to the right of the current player. If you wish, you can also change the timing of the payment to before the person actually answers, thus making it uncertain if they know it or not.

10 Chips: Pick the theme or color of the final question.

25 Chips: Pick the theme and color of the final question.

The chip payment values aren't high because we have some trouble getting chips, but if that's not the case in your experience, feel free to raise them.

*I use a simple 6 sided die instead of the "go anywhere" 6.

* For a player who's trying to answer the final question I always make sure they have at least 2 chips. This way they can still bet on the other players and try to build up to the 10 or 25 chips needed to help even if they end up wasting all their chips.

* I prohibited betting on final answers, since obviously everyone would always bet everything they could, as they either doubled or lost the game. This might lead to a no chips scenario if everyone is trying to answer the final question, so feel free to distribute 5 chips every turn to help the game finish when/if that happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Bacher
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Okami
mbmbmbmbmb
Just so you know... I read this! I like your ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.