Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

One Night Ultimate Werewolf» Forums » Rules

Subject: Covering Up Character Tiles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Not sure if this would even be part of the rules, but can a player cover up the character tiles with his hand while questioning another player's identity? The idea was to make it harder for the questioned player to remember which characters are in play and lie accordingly.

I already know how I feel about this but I'd like an official ruling so I can tell anyone who attempts this in the future to knock it off. Thanks.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Albano
United States
Bloomfield
NJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it's a house rule.

I think I'd allow it.

But only in a temporary way. I don't want a single bully to put everyone at the table in this position or do it every single game the entire time.

Occasionally, I think it'd be fine and fun and funny.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I represent no danger.
Avatar
mb
drunkenKOALA wrote:
Not sure if this would even be part of the rules, but can a player cover up the character tiles with his hand while questioning another player's identity? The idea was to make it harder for the questioned player to remember which characters are in play and lie accordingly.

I already know how I feel about this but I'd like an official ruling so I can tell anyone who attempts this in the future to knock it off. Thanks.


Cover them all you want. I'm still the Seer and when I looked at your card, it was a Wolf!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Gelatinous Goo wrote:
drunkenKOALA wrote:
Not sure if this would even be part of the rules, but can a player cover up the character tiles with his hand while questioning another player's identity? The idea was to make it harder for the questioned player to remember which characters are in play and lie accordingly.

I already know how I feel about this but I'd like an official ruling so I can tell anyone who attempts this in the future to knock it off. Thanks.


Cover them all you want. I'm still the Seer and when I looked at you card, it was a Wolf!
Normally only a villager would want to cover up the character tiles, to out a werewolf or tanner.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I represent no danger.
Avatar
mb
Btw, I'd say it's okay... To an extent. That kind of stuff is part of the sandbox.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Gelatinous Goo wrote:
Btw, I'd say it's okay... To an extent. That kind of stuff is part of the sandbox.
I find it a little asinine. It's also a slippery slope. We'd all be doing it all the time, and that'd be pretty lame.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Brea
CA
flag msg tools
This space intentionally left green.
badge
GRRREEEEEEEEENNNN!!!!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
drunkenKOALA wrote:
Gelatinous Goo wrote:
drunkenKOALA wrote:
Not sure if this would even be part of the rules, but can a player cover up the character tiles with his hand while questioning another player's identity? The idea was to make it harder for the questioned player to remember which characters are in play and lie accordingly.

I already know how I feel about this but I'd like an official ruling so I can tell anyone who attempts this in the future to knock it off. Thanks.


Cover them all you want. I'm still the Seer and when I looked at you card, it was a Wolf!
Normally only a villager would want to cover up the character tiles, to out a werewolf or tanner.

Did I mention that I' the troublemaker and I switched you with the guy you're trying to build a case against?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Brea
CA
flag msg tools
This space intentionally left green.
badge
GRRREEEEEEEEENNNN!!!!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
drunkenKOALA wrote:
Gelatinous Goo wrote:
Btw, I'd say it's okay... To an extent. That kind of stuff is part of the sandbox.
I find it a little asinine. It's also a slippery slope. We'd all be doing it all the time, and that'd be pretty lame.
if everyone is experienced, it matters little, if someone is abusing the ignorance of a newby for an easy win, he's an ass.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Tom
England
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like this very much [if I understand your point correctly...do you mean covering the little tokens?]

Either everyone has a constant reminder of what roles are in play, or everybody has to use just their memory.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
These rules seem to be written as permissive, telling you everything you can do. Since the game doesn't mention covering the tiles to be an ass, I would take that as a no.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crambaza wrote:
These rules seem to be written as permissive, telling you everything you can do. Since the game doesn't mention covering the tiles to be an ass, I would take that as a no.


As I recall, it also doesn't say you have to use them.

They're there as player aids to be used however the players find helpful - concealing them isn't entirely out of bounds, though doing it solely to annoy people should be.

Overall: no rule against it, but there's the meta-rule of "don't be a jerk (or else people will stop playing with you)"
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D.M. Jones
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
...before I forget.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone insisted on this because it isn't explicitly discussed in the rules I would secretly spike their drink with Sodium Pentothal. That isn't covered in the rules either. If I don't have any Sodium Pentothal handy I will simply slap their hand away. That isn't covered in the rules either. I think you can see where I am going here...

Robert nailed it. This is covered under the general, 'don't be a jerk' meta-rule. There is no in-game mechanism that obscures the starting role set, so this is not related to the game design. It strikes me as being a player level meta-action. I guess if a group agreed to do this it would be somewhat more acceptable but I would not put up with this at all. It strikes me as being right up there with smoking at the table to throw someone off a chess game.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Bad Form" - Captain Hook
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D.M. Jones
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
...before I forget.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SVzoedLk7ds
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as you include Tanner, this is a non-issue. I basically just claim wolf no matter what my role is anyway so this "trick" would not work on me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dettmar
United States
Ontario
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No, that to me is clearly cheating. That is the whole point of the character tiles in the first place
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be funny as a one-off, but I'd simply answer with "I'll answer as soon as you uncover the character tokens".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.