J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Peterson's attorney wrote:
Adrian Peterson has been informed that he was indicted by a grand jury in Montgomery County, Texas, for Injury to a Child. The charged conduct involves using a switch to spank his son. This indictment follows Adrian’s full cooperation with authorities who have been looking into this matter. Adrian is a loving father who used his judgment as a parent to discipline his son. He used the same kind of discipline with his child that he experienced as a child growing up in east Texas.

Adrian has never hidden from what happened. He has cooperated fully with authorities and voluntarily testified before the grand jury for several hours. Adrian will address the charges with the same respect and responsiveness he has brought to this inquiry from its beginning. It is important to remember that Adrian never intended to harm his son and deeply regrets the unintentional injury.

If you beat your kid with a switch, how can you claim unintentional injury?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Always bring a gun to a puppet fight
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
OverText is totally worth 100 units of imaginary, worthless currency
badge
What the Hell else am I supposed to do with GeekGold?
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh. I deleted my original comment, which was a pointless jab at the Patriots, Roger Goodell and the NFL. Well, okay, there's no such thing as a pointless jab at the Patriots.

But after seeing SpaceGhost's link to the article and reading about the details, just...I want to change my comment to "Fuck you, Adrian."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe they meant unintended severe injury. People have been spanked and with switches for hundreds of years without dieing. Common wisdom is against it now, but still a lot of folks who see it as 'normal.' I don't agree with switching kids, but I'd be interested to see just how far this goes into the 'nanny state' area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
I believe they meant unintended severe injury. People have been spanked and with switches for hundreds of years without dieing. Common wisdom is against it now, but still a lot of folks who see it as 'normal.' I don't agree with switching kids, but I'd be interested to see just how far this goes into the 'nanny state' area.

Have you ever been "spanked" with a switch? I'm sure my experience is to the more extreme, but I don't think that I would think it is acceptable anymore -- regardless of the "nanny state" designation. It is almost certainly child abuse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceGhost wrote:
Have you ever been "spanked" with a switch?

Yes, obviously. Born in the 70s, raised in the midwest - pretty much de rigueur.

SpaceGhost wrote:
I don't think that I would think it is acceptable anymore -- regardless of the "nanny state" designation. It is almost certainly child abuse.

I'd...agree, generally, that it's not "socially acceptable" anymore, but...ehhh...I'm of two minds on that.

The problem is that certain parents (say, mine, for example) had no other way of teaching respect to authority or providing framework or boundaries to civil interaction. It's their failing, certainly (there are FAR more effective ways to do all of the above), but...it's all they had. That's how their parents taught them, and they just aren't very clever people - they weren't going to be learning any newer parenting methods any time soon. So it was that, or 'let the kids run wild'. And given those alternatives...'beaten with a switch' worked out better for me in the long run.

That said - yeah, this is bullshit barbarism, only barely effective in the first place, and a massively missed opportunity to provide discipline and structure in a far more effective way. So I'm inclined to lean in the direction of the 'nanny state', here, and correct dumb-ass parents before they do permanent harm to their child (despite their best intentions, and even given their limited options they perceive as available...'ignorance is no defense').

The de facto societal acceptance that "a parent always knows what is best for their kids" needs to go away as rapidly as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a Vikings fan. I have always thought of Peterson as a good role model. I still think he is but I definitely think he crossed a bad line here. I don't think he intended to hurt his son but that is what he did.

One of the things with child abuse is the child often grows up to become an abuser themselves. In this case Peterson has said this was how he was raised and disciplined when he was a kid. So basically since he was disciplined like this he believed it's ok. However any kind of discipline that injures a child like this is not ok by any means. I believe this is simply a case of ignorance. A man who wants to be a good father but doesn't know how to properly raise and discipline a child. Thus he falls back on what was done to him as a child which itself was wrong.

I think two things need to happen with Peterson. First he needs to pay the price for what he did in court. What he did most definitely crossed the line from regular discipline to abuse even if he doesn't realize it.

Second I think he needs to be taught how to properly raise a child. Children get raised and grow up just fine without being whipped with tree branches. Peterson needs to learn how to do that so that he can be the kind of father he wants to be to his son.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
I was willing to give AD the benefit of the doubt, but when the details came out.... I dunno. My dad didn't have "a whooping room", shove leaves in my mouth to muffle screams, and threaten a punch to the face for telling anyone. All of this to a FOUR year old. To top it off, AD also lost a kid (that he wasn't even aware he had until the kid was in a hospital) to child abuse (by the step father) earlier this year. AD might be muddled by his own upbringing and playing a sport where violence is bred, but it's still child abuse. I'm disappointed to say the least. This is likely the straw that broke that camel's back in regards to my watching any more football.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vrooman wrote:
I was willing to give AD the benefit of the doubt, but when the details came out.... I dunno. My dad didn't have "a whooping room", shove leaves in my mouth to muffle screams, and threaten a punch to the face for telling anyone. All of this to a FOUR year old. To top it off, AD also lost a kid (that he wasn't even aware he had until the kid was in a hospital) to child abuse (by the step father) earlier this year. AD might be muddled by his own upbringing and playing a sport where violence is bred, but it's still child abuse. I'm disappointed to say the least. This is likely the straw that broke that camel's back in regards to my watching any more football.

Ahh, there was no link to details before. It sounds like this went way beyond a few quick strokes for a sharp reminder into some cathartic abusive outlet... yeah that's not the same thing and that is criminal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Relevant bit @ 3:25

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:

The same way you can claim an injury was unintentional in any other situation where you do something and an unexpected bad outcome results. Have you really never hurt someone or been hurt yourself because someone did something deliberate without intending the hurt to happen?

I don't know what injury his son incurred, but most spanking methods are designed not to break the skin or leave any lasting mark or injury.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had posted this in the NCAA thread before I knew about this thread. Read about the extent of injuries here

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/09/12/exclusive-details-on-...

This isn't a normalized version of getting hit with a switch. If it isn't child abuse, it is hard to know what is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is pretty harsh so I'm spoiler protecting it.

Spoiler (click to reveal)

Wow. That's not a spanking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
Wow. That's not a spanking.

Nope, it's a beating with a stick. A lot of beating...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:

The really twisted part of the story SG linked to is the logic - "I did more damage than I intended to when I hit him with a stick."

Wow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you really can't leave a kid bloody and legitimately think you're a good parent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:
Yeah, you really can't leave a kid bloody and legitimately think you're a good parent.

This isn't strictly true*, but in punishment cases, I agree.

I feel for Adrian, but think he needs to be punished and then educated. He was disciplining the only way he knows how and it got out of hand. I believe in corporal punishment, but you cannot do it effectively or safely while angry.

*sports sometimes lead to blood (and I am not talking about boxing). Both my kid and I have both had occasions after playing something where we wound up with some blood on the wrong side of the skin. Hockey, foam sword fighting, many sports involving smallish round things moving relatively quickly, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
He's a piece of shit and doesn't deserve to be employed.

I would say it differently. Perhaps this is my soft liberal heart speaking, but I think he's misguided and suffering the effects of his own abuse as a child. From the photos, it seems that he should be prosecuted and convicted and serve time. But I do still hope and think that he can be rehabilitated and lead a productive life. And while he can't continue to play in the NFL today, I don't think he couldn't return in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
He's not the brightest guy on the planet.

Bright or not, that's some scary thinking. I've little doubt that it was how he was raised, but it's stunning that you could be a parent in this day and age and think that using a switch (or belt, extension cord, rope, etc.) is appropriate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
This isn't strictly true*

Shifting the discussion away from purposefully striking your child as a means of discipline seems to obscure the point entirely. If you accidentally hurt your kid while playing, that's worlds apart from "get me the belt, boy - you need a whoopin."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
perfalbion wrote:
it's stunning that you could be a parent in this day and age and think that using a switch (or belt, extension cord, rope, etc.) is appropriate.

I think you're missing something. He grew up in Texas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
perfalbion wrote:
it's stunning that you could be a parent in this day and age and think that using a switch (or belt, extension cord, rope, etc.) is appropriate.

I think you're missing something. He grew up in Texas.

So you're saying I should be happy he didn't shoot the kid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Happy" not the right word. Just that it's a lot less stunning than if he grew up in Crystal Lake, Illinois. People do respond to the culture around them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
"Happy" not the right word. Just that it's a lot less stunning than if he grew up in Crystal Lake, Illinois. People do respond to the culture around them.

#1 - I was being sarcastic.

#2 - While I will agree with your sentiment and hope that Peterson will be rehabilitated, growing up in Texas does not do anything to alter my opinion of precisely how despicable his actions were. I accept that this may have been the way that he was disciplined. I find it hard to believe that he never heard that this wasn't acceptable today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.