GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,744 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I figured since there are so many complaints about 1. Missing Cards and 2. Having to Sort the cards I thought it could be useful for someone who gave an alternative experience.

The reason I think this is important is that, for one, I thought there was a zero percent chance, when I bought, that my box was going to be complete or that I could figure out how to sort it without consulting the internet guides. Secondly, it seems like a lot of people are steering away from buying based on this rampant fear.

I am going to guess all the game's current owners are going to fall into 3 categories. 1. Those who legitimately had issues/were missing cards 2. Those who were not missing cards and spent 10-20 seconds reading a few pages in the rulebook, unwrapped and sorted without much issue 3. Those who perhaps complained... let's say... less-than-legitimately in either the missing card and/or following directions categories..

Maybe that's not fair... let's say everyone has a right to their opinion. I have a right to mine as well:

The Unwrap
So, after reading all the horror stories I open my copy and saw neatly packaged cards, all in good condition. I opened a bottle of wine and unwrapped them while paging through the rulebook.

2 pages in the rulebook stood out... one was the setup page in the beginning which talks about the different deck "names" (and it goes on to circle where those names can be found on the card) as well as give an example of what each type of card looks like and, second, in the back is a list of those same card types along with a card count. NOTE: it does not, indeed, exhaustively list every, single name of every single card.

Having Read the Rulebook...
So after reading, having all the cards unwrapped and stacked neatly into a single pile, I noticed that pretty much every card does indeed have a printed name of what deck it goes into.

WHAT@!?

WTF was everyone complaining about I thought to myself. Now, hang on, let's sort it, see if there is anything missing - just to be fair to those who struggled.

So I started sorting. Each Objective card went into it's respective stack, Strikes go into the "Strike" stack, Characters into their respective character stack, etc.

30-45 minutes go by, a couple of the card's artwork almost throw me off but - alas - I stick to the card-prompt-on-the-bottom sorting method. Cards all sorted, I count each stack as I place them into the box. Then I re-consult the back of the rulebook. All there.

Be Not Afraid:Ye Who Wouldst Purchase This
1st Legendary Encounter Purchase

Cards Missing: Zero

Total Sorting Time: 45-50 Minutes

Total amount of Alcohol Consumed: 1/2 Bottle of Wine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Booth
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I think most people were expecting Marvel Legendary and just threw everything together when they unboxed it. A quick check on BGG and all the heart-ache could be diverted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rose Cactus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say, I had the exact same experience as you. While I understand that there was a little bit more effort sorting the cards, I was able to do it. Then understanding the game setup also helped.

The most important thing is that it is so worth it. This game is dripping with theme and is very fun to play. (Your results may vary).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffin
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exact same experience here. Thanks for posting this. Nothing missing. Game is a blast to play (especially with appropriate soundtrack going) and I was definitely not a fan of Legendary at all, mainly because I never felt like the card mechanics really seemed to reflect what was meant to be happening. In this game though, I felt like I was *in* the movies and compulsively played all four in one sitting until about 2am. Really looking forward to playing with others using the agendas and Alien Player deck. VERY satisfied with this purchase. I did sleeve it almost immediately though as the cards do not seem ready to stand up to the continuous shuffling. Setup was not a problem for me at all so, if I had any issues with this game whatsoever, the cardstock would literally be it. Looking forward to any expansions they may be teeing up for this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JATL
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have to say, I love this game. This is my first deck builder in my collection and I have to thank the random guy at Dragon Con that helped me sort everything out properly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Austin
Canada
flag msg tools
I found the small print right away, and sorted each movie, but I thought I was missing one card here, one card there. The missing cards were always in one of the objective sets. Everything else was fairly easy to separate. One objective set was supposed to have 11 cards and I had ten. It required referencing someone's card list on bgg to find out what exact card was missing. This list really should be in the game rulebook.

I was missing the Jonesy card. Why? Because I naturally mixed Jonesy card with its big yellow 'w' icon, in with all the other character cards from that first movie. Only after reading the bgg list was I able to 1) pinpoint Jonesy as a card that should be in an objective deck, and 2) realize there was fine print on Jonesy card (the only one with fine print in the entire set of 'w' icon characters) that actually made him part of the objective list. Very counter intuitive, this card. And this is not explained anywhere in the rule book. There were similar cards for other objectives that I also found to be 'missing '. I was not happy when I thought I was only missing a few cards and was already anticipating calling the company and requesting cards that would take six weeks to arrive. Add this to two hours of initial sorting and it is not a good first impression. Now that it has been figured out (only because of a BGG member who spent time making a list ) and I am NOT missing cards, I feel much better about starting my first game, but this initial tension and time wasting could easily be avoided with a more detailed card list in the rulebook. I should not have to reference bgg for answers. As well, the rules only give you card total numbers for the first movie. Why not have them for every movie?

Having detailed objective card lists included in the game rulebook (title and exact number) would have saved me a lot of time, and saved me from posting yet another negative 'I am missing cards!' thread, which does not help the reputation or sales of this game.

I bought this entirely on impulse yesterday (in spite of what I think is an excessively high price = $74) after reading reviews. I fully expected missing cards after seeing all the threads, even told the retailer "I hope this is not missing cards". First reaction from my wife was "what? $74 just for cards? $50 would have been plenty for a game like this" which I agree with. But, because I love the theme, I made an exception.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Minis painted "As you wish"
badge
PM me for commission painting info!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just opened and sorted mine. All cards accounted for, about an hour to sort. Helpful sorting tip: Many of the cads in the packs are stacked in the same order and quantity as other packs. If you "deal" them out in order, it will save you much sorting time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffin
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
First reaction from my wife was "what? $74 just for cards? $50 would have been plenty for a game like this" which I agree with. But, because I love the theme, I made an exception.

Your wife was right. It's $52 on Amazon with Prime shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I. J. Thompson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I was certainly missing two cards, but sorting was a breeze. And since I would have wanted to ooh and aah over all the cards anyway, sorting them was a nice excuse to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.