Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

I love big, heavy, chit-tastic games that can be soloed! Doesn't have to be an official solo, just a good variant is okay. Right now my table mostly sees the following:

Mage Knight
War of the Ring
Starcraft (when it comes in the mail)
World of Warcraft TBG
Castle Ravenloft (Probably the lightest one)
Mice and Mystics
Robinson Crusoe

What other big, meaty solo-able games are out there that I should check out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tam
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
Follow the Map!
badge
These organisms are cleaning out an eye socket infection
mbmbmbmbmb
high frontier?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't see any solo variants for that guy. It looks right up my ally though, 4.2 weight, yes sirree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juhan Voolaid
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like heavy games, then take a look at wargames. They have many solitare games there, or suitable for solitary play.

One of the best is D-Day at Omaha Beach. Also The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I need to get a good war game. I have this real issue in my life where too many of them look awesome and then I waffle too much and end up with none of them :/ I want Apache, or possibly Navajo Wars soon...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can vouch for Eldritch Horror, and I hear tell that Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island and Dawn of the Zeds (Second edition) would fit what you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juhan Voolaid
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also check this video about top solitare games:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66sHScosERE

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lang
Germany
Gaißach
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably the meatiest of the all and you should be able to get it relatively cheaply at ebay: Magic Realm I warn you, though, it might prove to be too meaty...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A PC and something from Paradox Interactive. You'll be set for a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AtStapley wrote:
I didn't see any solo variants for that guy. It looks right up my ally though, 4.2 weight, yes sirree.
If that's not heavy enough, try it with the expansions
Even calandale gave up on it in his last video
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Lower Hutt, WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Think of me as the Bishop of East Anglia
mbmbmbmbmb

You have one choice you MUST try

Carnival Zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Cormode
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Navajo Wars is heavy and an epic solo game as well as being chit-tastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Powell
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AtStapley wrote:

I second high frontier, get the interstellar map for a great solo experience. That said, good luck finding a copy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Define "epic". If you mean fantasy, disregard, but Fire in the Lake, which the full game is the entire Vietnam War, is epic in my book. It's also meaty and soloable with any of the four asymetric factions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Barbarossa Campaign is my favorite epic solitaire wargame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Perez
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't know if these would count as heavy, but you can play K2 or Freedom: The Underground Railroad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason R
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't get epicker, soloier, or chittier than Struggle for the Galactic Empire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Robert
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gears of War: The Board Game is the game I can recommend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunderbolt Apache Leader
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
mbmbmbmb
If you want a meaty solo wargame, consider one of the COIN series. I'd also suggest looking at Labyrinth the War on Terror.

If you want a meaty fantasy game, I saw someone else mentioned Magic Realm - and in fact it's so meaty it's never seen my table (at least not in the 9 months I've owned it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Leidich
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chit-tastic?

Space Empires: 4X
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fire in the Lake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Junkfoot wrote:
Probably the meatiest of the all and you should be able to get it relatively cheaply at ebay: Magic Realm I warn you, though, it might prove to be too meaty...

This is the answer.

With RealmSpeak, the game can be learned quickly (ok, "quicker" than without).

There is a DIY that contains a slight redesign that can be created. There are copies on eBay, some are even reasonable.

The game and the 3rd edition rules (or the redesign rules) provide a lot of optional rules that expand the game in many different directions.

Once you know the rules, there are 16 characters to learn.

My favorite way to play is to take 2 random characters and figure out how to make them work together.

Once you "get it" you realize this game has seemingly infinite subtle interactions.

Playing on RealmSpeak allows you to set up and play quickly. RealmSpeak even has a battle mode where you can do any combat you want. This is great for learning, and a way to handle really complicated combats during a board game session.

But... the real fun is when you are going to play Magic Realm on the table. The setup... the anticipation of what is to come... the building of the map... the choosing of the character... the choices for setting up the character... the anticipation of the first couple of days...

Jay Richardson, long live the master of Magic Realm, has provided a LOT of information about the game. The Book of Learning is mandatory reading. Mandatory! Jay Richardson, long live the master of Magic Realm, as created a nearly complete tutorial of the game, showing not only the rules, but some of the interesting paths the game can take.

Anyway, if you like fantasy, this is the one. If not, well, I enjoyed typing this anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of good recommendations here.

Fire in the Lake and the rest of the GMT COIN Series is am amazing choice.

I'd also highly recommend Navajo Wars, it's just brilliant. Really cool design, great AI, really historical. Just highly recommended all around.

There's also a darn cool solo variant of Android that's epic. Haven't played it enough to know if it warrants a lot of replay though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By "epic" I meant long and engaging, so these are awesome suggestions guys! I knew of Magic Realm, but had heard so many people not be able to decipher it that I didn't know if it was actually a functional game. I have a great memory and good reading comprehension, so I might have to gamble on it and pick up sometime!

Struggle for the Galactic Empire also looks great, and all the war game suggestions compound my already existing problem of not being able to decide which one I want! haha.

Also, to whomever suggested Robinson Crusoe, you're right! I already have that one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.