Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I notice that BGG lists S&S as a 120 minute play time, compared to 60 for RotR.

For those who have played both, do those numbers sound right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do hope that the game isn't longer - as it was, we could have a family adventure after dinner, before our children went to bed. Games (of RotR) have typically taken us just over the hour for 4 of us (with only occasional longer sessions)

Perhaps they decided the time given wasn't actually typical for a 6 player game, and have just revised it for S&S, rather than actually thinking it was a longer game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It plays in the same time as RotR. It might go slower in the beginning if you aren't familiar with your character or because you have some new cards, but I'd expect to average the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Scott
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It will depend on the number of players. I have a group of 6 that has been playing since the beginning of RotR. Our games tend to last 90-120 minutes. I don't think that S&S scenarios take any longer than RotR, I think they simply reevaluated an estimated play time that was a bit shorter than it takes in reality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't really found that the number of players makes any difference. You still only get 30 turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, I have only played RotR 2p. With one group, we tend to finish in 45-75 minutes, and with the other we tend to take 90-120. Some of it is the character combos (Merisiel+Lini are faster than Valeros+Kyra), and some of it is the personalities of the players (Merisiel is a quick, focused player, whereas Valeros is more reflective and social).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played with 1 to 6 players and found that it takes a little bit longer with each extra player. Why? Because although you always have just 30 blessings (plus any from Holy Candle), with 6 players you have a lot more exploring per turn than with one. Players gotta burn through their cards to get through 8 location decks and that takes more time. So about 30 to 120 minutes depending on number of players, difficulty, who's playing, etc.

After three plays of S & S, it doesn't seem to take any longer than Rotr.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Replying to myself, now that I have finished the first 5 scenarios of S&S:

Our 2p plays have mostly been running 60-90 minute. We had one 40-minute game when the villain and henchmen were kind enough to push there way to the tops of their locations.

Our games are running a bit longer than RotR, probably because there are more rule twists. We have to go a bit slower to make sure we don't miss anything, and some of the S&S character powers require more thought and/or deck manipulation than we we had in RotR.

But the difference isn't huge. There's no way the playtime has doubled. I suspect partly the change was a reflection of the 60 minutes for RotR being a bit lower than reality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.