James Stein
msg tools
I'm looking at taking a few courses to get back into the swing of things academically. I'm going to be taking a masters degree in 2015/16 but I've been out of university for some time now and I'd like to try and get back into good study habits.

Has anyone here used Coursera? If so, what did you think of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CaffeineBot wrote:
I'm looking at taking a few courses to get back into the swing of things academically. I'm going to be taking a masters degree in 2015/16 but I've been out of university for some time now and I'd like to try and get back into good study habits.

I took one of their video courses on a lark. It was OK. You have to have the time and discipline to sit through the videos and then do the self-assessments, but if you do that, you can actually learn some stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Golux13 wrote:
I took one of their video courses on a lark. It was OK. You have to have the time and discipline to sit through the videos and then do the self-assessments, but if you do that, you can actually learn some stuff.

I did two of them a while back and concur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stein
msg tools
Golux13 wrote:
CaffeineBot wrote:

Ah, so much the same as undergraduate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, but I do know the CEO somewhat, I saw her this week.

I know the edX offerings better. What are you looking to study? Do you want to learn something of specific value in your life or your career, or do you primarily want to develop study habits while learning something engaging but not necessarily of direct use?

I think any online course, either edX or Coursera, would be a good way to assess whether you're ready to go back to school. If you can't be persistent and keep up with the class and perform well, then you probably don't have the mindset to go back to school either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Neuhaus
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've completed 4 courses there over 2 years, and started but didn't finish many more.

I enjoy them. They tend to be pretty well done, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I completed a Python course earlier this year and was quite pleased with the experience. It was fun, I learned some things, and it was free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Started one course. Yet to finish it. I was quite impressed with quality though, and certainly learned some things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stein
msg tools
DaviddesJ wrote:
No, but I do know the CEO somewhat, I saw her this week.

I know the edX offerings better. What are you looking to study? Do you want to learn something of specific value in your life or your career, or do you primarily want to develop study habits while learning something engaging but not necessarily of direct use?

A little from column A, a little from column B. I'm starting a philosophy course tomorrow (offered by Edinburgh I think) which is primarily for the latter, but I'm lining up some courses to cover the weak points in my mathematical education, which would primarily be to the benefit of future study and potentially my career.

DaviddesJ wrote:
I think any online course, either edX or Coursera, would be a good way to assess whether you're ready to go back to school. If you can't be persistent and keep up with the class and perform well, then you probably don't have the mindset to go back to school either.

Very true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
It all depends on the course: Coursera itself is a decent framework, but helping people finish comes down to the course being any good. Making sure the amount of homework is enough to make sure you understand the material, but not so much as to be a big time sink.

For instance, for the programmers out there, the Introduction to Functional Programming with Scala course is pretty good, and starts very soon. Taught by one Martin Odersky, father of the language.

In comparison, the second course, on concurrency with functional programming, had a lot more ups and downs. Taught by three different people, the difficulty and the quality of the exercises was all over the map. Some weeks were extremely good, others were a big chore to finish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.