GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,937 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Suggestions for my first tournament rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spencer McClung
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've finally found the time to enter my first x wing tournament (standard rules, 100pts, 75min rounds). I am looking for some feedback on the list I'm planning on entering:

Corran Horn
-Push the limit
-Fire control system
-R2D2

Wedge Antilles
- Predator

Bandit squadron Pilot x2

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
I would consider putting a regular R2 unit on Corran instead of R2D2 since he is going to want more green maneuvers to clear the stress from PTL. This would also free up some points for a good astromech for Wedge too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
This happy cat is excited about new board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks pretty good. I've been finding a "Fat Horn" can take on a whole squad by himself given time... though I haven't flown him in a tournament yet so don't know if that's enough time... I've flown a list dropping Predator from Wedge and turning the Z's into Biggs to protect Wedge (and Corran too if I'm flying in hard and fast on a Falcon) on the first pass... but I like the greater versatility of your list too.

Regardless good luck and have fun at the tournament!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
This happy cat is excited about new board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Donkler wrote:
I would consider putting a regular R2 unit on Corran instead of R2D2 since he is going to want more green maneuvers to clear the stress from PTL. This would also free up some points for a good astromech for Wedge too.

I like a plain R2 also... but R2D2 makes Horn close to unkillable. Since you'll be double shooting almost every other round you'll spend about half the game flying entirely defensively and therefore regenning shields. I actually use Engine Upgrade instead of FCS in my build to help with this even more. The most shields I've gotten back in one game was 12 but most games don't go as long as that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The R5Donth Star II
Canada
Hamilton
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Canadiangamer wrote:
So I've finally found the time to enter my first x wing tournament

Cool. Is it the one at Dueling Grounds or are you venturing out to one of the many outside the city? National Championship perhaps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer McClung
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep! At Duelling grounds on the 28th.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer McClung
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll have to play test that some. I have found that I actually don't end up using PTL all that much with Corran. I often have a TL from FCS and only really need to focus. I thought I'd use PTL on non shooting turns in order to 'turtle' (focus + dodge), but it turns out that I haven't needed to do that all that much. What do you think about dropping PTL altogether?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am heading to the dueling grounds tournament too!

I played my first two tournaments over the last two weekends in Guelph and Cambridge. Had a blast.

I will see you at Dueling Grounds! I'll be the guy in the cowboy hat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer McClung
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
I am heading to the dueling grounds tournament too!

I played my first two tournaments over the last two weekends in Guelph and Cambridge. Had a blast.

I will see you at Dueling Grounds! I'll be the guy in the cowboy hat.

Sweet! I'll see you there. How'd the first two tournaments go? Did you use the same list both times?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.