GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,889 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Abstract or semi-abstract games for casual players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
In disguise.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking about getting Yinsh, Dvonn and/or Tzarr, Arimaa, Quinamid (instead of Pentago), and Hive Carbon.

Go seems too daunting for my mom, who I'll play with.

Hey That's my Fish is my awesome. Tsuro/Tsuro of the Seas, Ingenious, Checkers, and Chess are great. Blokus is good.

What else should I get? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Saturn wrote:
I'm thinking about getting Yinsh, Dvonn and/or Tzarr, Arimaa, and Hive Carbon.

Hey That's my Fish is my awesome. Ingenious, Checkers, and Chess are great. Blokus is good.

Only have Blokus and Hive from that list. You migth want to check out the other Blokus variants with tringles and hexagonal shapes.

If you want something uber-casual, try Qwirkle.

Check the abstracts lists here. I sadly can hardly get people to play abstracts with me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Wacker
United States
Lake Forest Park
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yinsh is great. Through the Desert would be good if you could find it.

Doug
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toms Leikums
Latvia
Jelgava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something from Gigamic. I recently had good success with Quoridor and Quixo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Score Four and Quoridor are the two I've always had the best luck with when playing with casual gamers. I think that's because the rules to both are so simple and intuitive that people can make the link to thinking about strategy instead of rules almost instantaneously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nello Cozzolino
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Brascogames London U.K. www.brascogames.webs.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle This!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Bouvier
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It might actually be too similar to Hey That's My Fish, but if you're looking for something along the same lines, try Battle Sheep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive is fun for 2 players.

Blokus Trigon is in my opinion much better than Blokus, but it is out of print and seems not to be produced anymore. It works well with 3 players also (you leave the outer triangle pairs unused). You can use the same idea with Blokus (leave the outer squared unused in a 3-player game) and you don't need to play with the dummy color.

Gemblo is similar but different, and works well for 3, 4, and 6 (and less well for 5), so if you need an abstract for upto 6, check that out.

Enigma combines minigames/puzzles with tile-laying.

Maybe you might consider introducing something with a bit of theme, but still fundamentally abstract (like Carcassonne).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pente and Backgammon are two classics that would work very well for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Through the Desert
+1 Arkadia it does have abstract elements to it.

Can't go wrong with GIPF games. DVONN would be my first choice followed by ZÈRTZ

Torres is a very good abstract game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scribes
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chess & Draughts (Checkers) are instantly recognisable by non-gamers, so can be good for getting someone on the opposite side of a board.

+1 Backgammon - This is my most preferred of all the "Classic" AbStrat games.

+1 Hive - Chess is too busy for me; Hive is cleaner, but still a decent amount of strategy.
You mention you are thinking of getting Carbon (which does come with the first 2 expansions), and looks "Classic" in monochrome. However, in it's game page there are people who prefer Original Coloured over Carbon, as the colour-coding can aid piece recognition and speed threat-assessment of the 'board'.

+1 Gigamic Family - if I had to name one game it would be Quarto. The shared pool, rather than Me-Black, You-White, can be confusing at first.

Then if you are looking for more ideas 2P AbStrat Geeklist would be a good place to start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley
United States
Ball
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
parapalooka wrote:
It might actually be too similar to Hey That's My Fish, but if you're looking for something along the same lines, try Battle Sheep.

Yeah, I was going to suggest Battle Sheep also. Bonus that it will play more than 2 players. Also, The Duke might be something to look at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
I like Blokus and Qwirkle, but they are much better games with four people than two. We found Hey, That's My Fish! to be really dull when playing with two people.

To me Hive, with the Mosquito and Ladybug is a really great game. Our favorite abstract. We generally play best of 5. Played over 100 games this year so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Wacker
United States
Lake Forest Park
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bondgoldfinger wrote:

Torres is a very good abstract game.

Torres is fantastic; I completely forgot about that one. Sadly, it is currently out of print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Splendor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Gabriel
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you liked Tsuro you would likely also enjoy Indigo.

YINSH is a very fun game. I wouldn't call it light but the rules are easy to get down. I would say the above may be better suited for casual players though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
Mr_Saturn wrote:
I'm thinking about getting Yinsh, Dvonn and/or Tzarr, Arimaa, Quinamid (instead of Pentago), and Hive Carbon.

Hey That's my Fish is my awesome. Tsuro/Tsuro of the Seas, Ingenious, Checkers, and Chess are great. Blokus is good.

Dvonn, Arimaa, Hive, Chess and Hex.

If you can play those games until they stop being interesting, you have deserved to buy whatever the heck you please...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Life is a lamp-flame before a wind.
msg tools
badge
mu
mbmbmbmbmb
Several excellent suggestions in this thread. I'd like to add Kamisado and Trax; both are brilliant, in my humble opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gaudet
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
Tzaar, Dvonn and Othello/Reversi are great starter ones because they have a very easy learning curve and they will feel fairly innovative and well designed if all you're familiar with is Chess and Backgammon. Few moves feel like they set you back and the rules are dirt simple (can be explained in under 3 minutes).

We almost always play these best out of 3 to give you an idea on the lenght.

Cheers good luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I sometimes get into arguments (with mostly video gamers/designers) that Pandemic is an abstract game.

I don't care, its a really good game - certainly fantastic for a casual group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just typed this in another similar thread but:

Hanabi!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rebecca
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
I want to believe. -- FOX MULDER
badge
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. --DANA SCULLY
mbmbmbmbmb
I second most of the above. I love casual abstracts. I'd also throw in Jaipur. It's very straightforward and to me is in the same psychic space.

Possibly Billabong as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:

I bought Hive Carbon a couple of months ago and it has worked well with a variety of people over the summer.
I'd recommend it to anyone as part of a game collection.

It's quick to learn and to get going (good movement summary card on the BGG game page for use during the first game).
Each game is quite short and fast paced.
It can be played anywhere, on a table and I have played it on grass outside too.
It's light and easily portable. I've carried it round all day in my bag, in the pouch provided - no need for the fiddly small Hive Pocket.
Usually after 1 game people ask to play again, and again, and again . . .

(The app is poor unfortunately - bad graphics and soon becomes too easy on the hardest setting. Stick with the Bakelite version).

Your Mum may like this. I find Othello works well with my Mum as a kind of lighter Go substitute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley
United States
Ball
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nickbolton wrote:
a1bert wrote:

I bought Hive Carbon a couple of months ago and it has worked well with a variety of people over the summer.
I'd recommend it to anyone as part of a game collection.

It's quick to learn and to get going (good movement summary card on the BGG game page for use during the first game).
Each game is quite short and fast paced.
It can be played anywhere, on a table and I have played it on grass outside too.
It's light and easily portable. I've carried it round all day in my bag, in the pouch provided - no need for the fiddly small Hive Pocket.
Usually after 1 game people ask to play again, and again, and again . . .

(The app is poor unfortunately - bad graphics and soon becomes too easy on the hardest setting. Stick with the Bakelite version).

Your Mum may like this. I find Othello works well with my Mum as a kind of lighter Go substitute.

You can always play Hive on bga.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Battle Sheep. My wife and I find this different enough from Hey, That's My Fish! to be very enjoyable.

+1 Qin. Everyone I've introduced this to has picked it up very quickly and really enjoyed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.