GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,220 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Heroes Wanted» Forums » General

Subject: 1 hero marker rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
hermes ayala

Littleton
COLORADO
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can i get some more explanation on 1 hero marker and hero phase marker please.

I noticed there is a lot of cards that let you gain control of 1st hero marker? Does this give you any bonus outright or is it other cards or heros gain a bonus when theyre 1st hero?

does gaining control of 1st hero end up skipping people or is that what the hero phase marker is for??? Not to clear in the rule book. been scanning it for further explaination but cant find anything besides it saying the 1st hero starts the game.

Thank you, hopfully im just missing this in the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 1st hero marker is important because, as you note, other cards often refer to it. Other than that, the only benefit it gives you is that when a new turn begins (that is, after the villain is finished) the player with the 1st player marker takes the start of phase marker and goes first.

The 1st hero marker may move around frequently, but the start of phase marker only moves once per turn, at the beginning, so no one is skipped. (pg. 9 of the rulebook)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 'Start of the Hero Phase' marker is used to track who was 1st Hero at the start of the current turn. That will move only at the start of a new Hero Phase, if the 1st Hero has changed.

Besides certain abilities relying on it, the '1st Hero' marker is to signify who will go first out of the players during both phases of a turn. Because 1st Hero can change multiple times but won't change player order until next turn, the 'Start of the Hero Phase' marker helps as a reminder of who has already played an action/defended DMG so no one accidentally winds up taking two goes.

In gameplay terms, say Red was 1st Hero, Green after them, and Blue last. So order is Red > Green > Blue.

If Blue (currently going last), plays a card that means they become 1st Hero, they would take that marker, but the 'Start of the Hero Phase' one stays with Red for now.

The player order remains the same through the villain phase (Red > Green > Blue) but then once the new Hero Phase starts, both markers would switch to Blue and the new player order is set: Blue > Red > Green.

Hope that makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hermes ayala

Littleton
COLORADO
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
thank you =D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HotHeart wrote:

The player order remains the same through the villain phase (Red > Green > Blue) but then once the new Hero Phase starts, both markers would switch to Blue and the new player order is set: Blue > Red > Green.

I agreed with everything until this part. Pg 14 under The Villain Phase says "Villain and minions attack. Starting with the 1st hero and going clockwise, each hero will be dealt DMG..."

Per your example, on that Villain Phase, Blue would DEFEND first because they are the new 1st Hero and then after the Villain Phase, Blue would take the first turn of the Hero Phase. I believe the idea is that the 1st Hero is like an impending threat to attract the attention of the villain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Little
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The player order does change for the villain phase based on who the first hero is.

The start of hero phase marker is not required for playing. We added it to help keep track of who had taken a turn during the hero phase since the first hero can move around. During the villain phase, the token does not move around much so we didn't think it necessary to keep track of who had acted.

Feel free to move the start of marker at the start of each phase if that helps you keep track of things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stooge4444 wrote:
HotHeart wrote:

I agreed with everything until this part. Pg 14 under The Villain Phase says "Villain and minions attack. Starting with the 1st hero and going clockwise, each hero will be dealt DMG..."

Per your example, on that Villain Phase, Blue would DEFEND first because they are the new 1st Hero and then after the Villain Phase, Blue would take the first turn of the Hero Phase. I believe the idea is that the 1st Hero is like an impending threat to attract the attention of the villain.

Oh, man, that's how I was playing it originally as well, then thought I had it wrong because it says 'Hero Phase'! D'oh. Well, it only affected one game and I think the impact was minor if present at all.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.