Popular Tags: [View All]
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone remember that old TV show Startrek? In the show they developed a warp drive and friendly aliens meet up and invite them into a federation.
Well shucks... so being the year 2100 our home planet of Altair developed an interstellar drive and all we got was an alien message from deep space advising of our impending demise.

Now that alien life has been confirmed, our government has put a plan in motion. It is a simple 3 step process: Find Resources, Setup Defenses and Survive.

I'm in a position to make some decisions and receive reports, so I thought i'd keep a journal for you know kicks.

This is all we know about the galaxy around us, which is to say we know nothing.

We begin our mission with 3 colony ships, 3 scouts, 1 miner ship, and 4 ship yards.

---

SD 2101.1: Entered a nebula, found a planet which a colony ship prepared to colonize and a black hole, the scout ship flew to close and was destroyed. The colony ship survived.

SD 2101.2: The lone colony ship rendezvoused with SC-2 and the mining ship. The found minerals which the mining ship quickly harvested.

SD 2101.3: The mining ship returned the harvested minerals back to the newly colonized Fionn. This shaved months off the trip. More Minerals found by SC-1 and SC-2.

SD 2101.Empire Report: Researched Hull size 1, bought a mining ship and scout ship (SC-3), Built at Altair.

---

SD 2102.1: SC-3 and the new mining ship move to the colony at Fionn, they arrive just at the mining ship that was there went to harvest more nearby minerals. SC-1 and SC-2 and their accompanying colony ships both find planets, Anyon is barren and uninhabitable. However the planet Cerberus is habitable and the colony ship begins colonizing.

SD 2102.2: Command realizes some problems with there search pattern and it means a large portion of the year will be wasted travelling already explored space. SC-1 explored deep space in the hopes of reducing waste but appears to have got lost in space and destroyed. Luckily the colony Ship had headed to Cerberus to stay on a safe route. SC-2 found more minerals. Minerals were returns to Fionn. SC-3 travelled around the black hole.

SD 2102.3: More mineral returns to Fionn. SC-1 found more minerals, SC-3 found a large Asteroid field.

SD 2102.Empire Report: Another scout ship and 2 colony ships built at Altair, No research was conducted this year due to budgetary constraints, out hope is that by establishing more colonies we will have better economy and defenses.

---

SD 2103.1: Exploration report. More minerals discovered, in addition to 2 planets. We are in luck both Antares and Essen have colony ships just a few months away.

SD 2103.2: The colony ships arrived and began colonizing as expected. 2 more planets discovered, the colony ship accompanying SC-1 immediately began to colonize Athos.

SD 2103.3: sc-1 & sc-2 found minerals, and sc-3 found yet another habitable planet. No wonder there are lifeforms on their way, this place is practically the garden of eden.

SD 2103.Empire Report: 2 New Ship yards built at Cerberus and Fionn. New colony ship built at Altair. Research in larger hull sizes was conducted and we can now build Cruisers.

---

SD 2104.1: sc-1 explored deep space and found a barren planet. SC-2 found yet more minerals, if only we had enough ships to actually retrieve these things. SC-3 entered a nebula, and nothing was there.

SD 2104.2: Sc-1 & sc-3 met in sector J-3 and found a large amount of minerals. Sc-2 found another planet “Vortigern”.

SD 2104.3: Colony ships reports it has arrived at Sheldon and has begun colonizing.
Sc-3 has just reported a Supernova in Sector I-3. all ships should avoid the area.

SD 2104.Empire Report: Long range intelligence tells us the invaders are just a few years away. All money this year was spent on much needed research into our weapons and defences.
Our colonies continue to Grow at an outstanding rate.

---

SD 2105.1: SC-1 in sector I4 and SC-3 in sector K2 have not been in contact for 4 months and long range scanners are unable to detect them. it is assumed the ships has been destroyed, but by what we do not know. (Deep space is dangerous.)

SD 2105.2: Nothing of note except minerals have been delivered to Sheldon and Essen. Mining operations continue successfully.

SD 2105.3: Nothing to report.

SD 2105.Empire Report: The Government is scared, bases have been setup in
Cerberus and Sheldon for defence. A cruiser has been built in Altair.

---

SD 2106.1: Nothing to Report.

SD 2106.2: Nothing to Report. (Is this the calm before the storm?)

SD 2106.3: A large haul of minerals has been collected this year

SD 2106.Empire Report: Shipsize (4) and Movement (2) researched. Shipyards in Cerberus, Fionn and Altair upgraded.

---

SD 2107.1: sc-2 explores deep space and discovers a black hole, it’s too late for the ship, it is caught in the black holes gravity. It has enough time for crew to send messages to their loved ones before they are destroyed.

SD 2107.2: 4 months of mourning ends.

SD 2107.3: nothing to report, but sensors have detected the invader are within reach of our empire.

SD 2107.Empire Report: Our top scientists have called them the Doomsday Machine. The appeared in Sector H4 last night and appear to be heading to Essen. Our shipyards have built 2 new cruisers and 1 battle cruiser, Victory seems slim but we never give up.

---

SD 2108.1: vector simulations appear to be correct. The DM is on it’s way to Essen. Out fleet moved to intercept.

SD 2108.2: CA-1 and CA-3 arrive at Essen, CA-2 and BC-1 are just weeks away and we expect them to arrive just moments before the DM does.

SD 2108.3: As expected the entirety of our empires fleet reach Essen, a mere couple hours before the DM arrives.

Battle Report: a battle cruiser took damage but between the 5 ships and the Base, we were easily able to destroy the DM.

SD 2108.Empire Report: Ship Size Tech (5) researched. Another cruiser built.

---

SD 2109.1: The calm before the Storm

SD 2109.2: Scanners have picked up another DM and it appears to be bigger than the last one.

SD 2109.3: They are here.

SD 2109.Empire Report: The DM appears in sector F7, fortunately for use the appear to be heading directly for Essen again. A battleship our crowning military achievement til this point has been build in Altair. Upgrades to the shipyards occurred in Fionn and Cerberus.

---

SD 2110.1: Battleship launches towards Essen, as does the DM.

SD 2110.2: Preparing Defenses

SD 2110.3: The battleship arrived just in time for battle.

Battle Reports;
R1: The fleet fired upon the DM and did 1 damage, the DM fired back and almost destroyed the Base.
R2: Through clever maneuvering the fleet did an additional 2 damage to the DM, but it’s like it’s barely been scratched. The DM returned fire and destroyed the base at Essen, and on of the 3 cruisers. Finally one of the cruisers yet to fire damaged the DM again and it looks like the tide could be turning in our favor.
R3: More damage done to both sides, a battle cruiser was lost.
R4: The DM was destroyed.

Our valiant forces.

**WARNING** **WARNING** **A NEW DM HAS BEEN DETECTED**
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic session report well complemented by the step-by-step illustrations. A picture really is worth a thousand words in this case. Is there more to come or is DM3 a Soprano-style fade to black?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for compliment Mike. Thanks to everyone else for the thumbs and geek gold.

Unfortunately it is a fade to black lol. While the game likely would have only taken another 15-20 minutes it was already past midnight and I was quite tired.
Writing while playing takes a suprising amount of time longer. It likely doubled my playtime.

That being said I think I'll do another solo session report using the other aliens scenario. Maybe this week or weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I'm late to post here. Great report.

I was just wanting to ask about the full hex space terrain tiles you're using (nebulae, black holes, etc.). I know such tiles were planned for the Replicator expansion. Have something like these already become available while I wasn't looking or did you make them yourself? (they look great).

Brent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Brent, thy are available in the files section. So yeah they are something I printed, glued then cut.

My understanding is they are the reason they are being included in the new expansion. The designer thought they were good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I can't see them in the files section now. I wonder if they've been removed because of the impending expansion.

Brent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Brent perhaps I misspoke, I did find a link though, but I haven't tried it as I'm on my iPhone ATM.

Try http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1122699/space-empires-4x

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great AAR, thanks for taking the time to write and post it! This is such a great game, every time I read a session report or review I want to break it out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.