Subject: Tactical battle games without the expense? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Russell
Australia
Qld
flag msg tools
mb
I'm lookign to fill a category in types of games I have, to play with my two teenage boys.

Star Trek attack Wing is sitting in my cart ready to purchase (X-wing and D&DAW have the same issues), but looking at the initial cost for 7 ships, and thinking about my completionist habit, I'm once again questioning whether to go ahead (the 3rd time I've changed my mind on purchasing at this stage) as I rally can't afford to sink a lot of money into one game.

So, I'm looking for alternatives that scratch the following itches, without the ongoing desire to keep buying more stuff :-

1. Tactical 2 - 3 player battles
2. 1v1, 1vAll, Team, Co-Op play styles
3. Duration between 30 - 60 minutes (90 at a stretch)
4. Family friendly

Other similar games i've considered which are close are :-

1. Battlecon: Devastation of indines

This is a very close 2nd. My only questions are it has a large initial outlay, which I balk at a little in case it doesn't go down well. I did do the PnP version for a quick test, one son sid it was OK, the other didn't look. I think it may be a little bland in appearance to appeal to them

2. Duel of Ages II

This one hits the price point nicely and most of the other buttons, but the big negative is playtime/turn time. From what I've seen in the playthrough videos, each players turn seems to take a while, which may lead to loss of interest on the other players part, and makes the total playtime quite long for the end result. Also availability here in Australia seems quite difficult.

I haven't been able to find anything else close to these, but maybe i've missed some. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
BGRuss wrote:
I'm lookign to fill a category in types of games I have, to play with my two teenage boys.

Star Trek attack Wing is sitting in my cart ready to purchase (X-wing and D&DAW have the same issues), but looking at the initial cost for 7 ships, and thinking about my completionist habit, I'm once again questioning whether to go ahead (the 3rd time I've changed my mind on purchasing at this stage) as I rally can't afford to sink a lot of money into one game.

So, I'm looking for alternatives that scratch the following itches, without the ongoing desire to keep buying more stuff :-

1. Tactical 2 - 3 player battles
2. 1v1, 1vAll, Team, Co-Op play styles
3. Duration between 30 - 60 minutes (90 at a stretch)
4. Family friendly

Other similar games i've considered which are close are :-

1. Battlecon: Devastation of indines

This is a very close 2nd. My only questions are it has a large initial outlay, which I balk at a little in case it doesn't go down well. I did do the PnP version for a quick test, one son sid it was OK, the other didn't look. I think it may be a little bland in appearance to appeal to them

2. Duel of Ages II

This one hits the price point nicely and most of the other buttons, but the big negative is playtime/turn time. From what I've seen in the playthrough videos, each players turn seems to take a while, which may lead to loss of interest on the other players part, and makes the total playtime quite long for the end result. Also availability here in Australia seems quite difficult.

I haven't been able to find anything else close to these, but maybe i've missed some. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Have you looked at Summoner Wars: Master Set
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
Okko: Era of the Asagiri is one that's always on sale over at Miniature Market, and it's actually pretty underrated. There are some expansions that add to the game, though I don't think it has a co-op mode. It's anime, but it's more adult-friendly than kid-friendly, so check it out a bit before you decide to take the plunge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell
Australia
Qld
flag msg tools
mb
I actually purchased Summoner Wars on sale back at the end of July, but I'm still waiting on the company to ship it angry I did however consider it only a 2 player game, as I didn't want to get a second board, and the 4 player game seems a bit of a square-peg round-hole option?

I hadn't heard of Okko, but the BGG site says it's 2 player, which rules it out of the spot I need to fill. Maybe I wasn't clear in my numbering. I want to play viably with 2 or 3 players, and optionally add a 4th. One son is happy to play 2 player battles, the other doesn't like competitive play, but would play on a team where it is 2v1, or 3vTheGame. That's what I was going for. All 3 games I listed above offer these options to some degree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Warhammer: Diskwars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell
Australia
Qld
flag msg tools
mb
Geosphere wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion.

Wow, why hasn't this game come up on my radar? From my quick look, it seems very under represented for what looks like a decent game.

Price is right, length is fine, player count is good. I have 3 slight reservations :-

1. Not fussed on the Warhammer theme, and my wife who is against all things "evil" would not like the Legions of Darkness expansion

2. Disk movement seems susceptible to slippage without some sort of non-slip surface

3. Didn't see any obvious reference, but I'm assuming it's pure PvP with little co-op, scenario play, or asymmetric team sizes?

Looks like a candidate though, so more investigation on this one is required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Cameron
Australia
Maylands
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get a sheet of green felt and the slippage problem disappears completely.

There isn't any co-op, though you can do team play, larger free-for-alls, or 2v1 with single person getting more points. There are a couple of scenarios, one in the base set and one in the Hammer and Hold expansion, but really, you can steal scenario ideas from any table top minis game out there at they won't be hard to adapt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas DeLateur
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Chemistry Ph.D. student, MIT
badge
Hi!
mbmbmbmbmb
Battleground

Pure PVP, although team play is possible. It's warhammer, but instead of models, you have playing cards with top-down pictures of the models, so a full army is very cheap monetarily and very easy to store spatially.

I'd recommend Warhammeriskwars more however. This is if there's not enough variety in Diskwars or if you want a more generic IP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No 1 vs. all but Mythic Battles is at least decent. I would prefer it with the full rules and doing a tile drafting along with army building versus the campaigns as is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - African River
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your boys would love Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie. That one set alone isn't as expensive as you might think, and would keep them happily playing for a long time to come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
BGRuss wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion.

Wow, why hasn't this game come up on my radar? From my quick look, it seems very under represented for what looks like a decent game.

Price is right, length is fine, player count is good. I have 3 slight reservations :-

1. Not fussed on the Warhammer theme, and my wife who is against all things "evil" would not like the Legions of Darkness expansion

2. Disk movement seems susceptible to slippage without some sort of non-slip surface

3. Didn't see any obvious reference, but I'm assuming it's pure PvP with little co-op, scenario play, or asymmetric team sizes?

Looks like a candidate though, so more investigation on this one is required.

1. There are evil beings in the base game including a demonic faction.

2. As another pointed out, a 3 foot by 3 foot piece of felt isn't too expensive, and is the size of the play area.

3. Yes, it is pure pvp, although there are some built in scenarios and some variants out there, none allow for co-op play to my knowledge.

I do like and recommend the game if these aren't obstacles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Proctor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you willing to paint miniatures?

There are a load of interpendent miniatures manufactures which are not expensives.

For example 6mm scale aircraft should cost you that much (about £1.50 per aircraft) and a free set of rules like Sturmovik Commander (which I can recommend).

Through thare are a number of website that have fold-up card miniatares which you can print off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell
Australia
Qld
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks all for the continued input. Some feedback on suggestions :-

- Battleground Fantasy Warfare or Heroscape don't seem to be available at any of the stores I source from.

- Mythic Battles I had a look at, but it seems off in a few places

- I haven't looked into "self assembled" games. I don't have an issue with painting, although I don't have any gear to do it. The biggest issue may be just committing time.

I'll checkout Sturmovik Commander and anything similar I can find, but I'm beginning to wonder if going down the wargame line is really what i should be looking at. My other candidate in this slot was Descent 2 & clones such as Level 7 Omega protocol & the upcoming Imperial Assault, Descent would be great, but the wife kiboshed the theme....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is you need something like Sentinal Tactics. Sadly, not very helpful since it isn't published yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cannon
United Kingdom
Hassocks
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first things that come to mind are Ogre pocket edition, and Battleground. War gaming is a lot cheaper without the miniatures!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - African River
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BGRuss wrote:
- Battleground Fantasy Warfare or Heroscape don't seem to be available at any of the stores I source from.

HeroScape is out of print, so you have to go to the second hand market. Looking on the Rise of the Valkyrie game page, I see an acceptable copy for $40, a very good one for $60 and like new one for $80. Given the prices of games today, those are absolute bargains.

There's a very good reason why people are still active on HeroScapers.com 3 years after the product was discontinued, building their own new waves and carrying on as before. The game is that good. I seriously urge you to take a look, and read the user comments on the game page if nothing else. There is no better skirmish system to play with teenage boys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Flux
United Kingdom
Cropwell Bishop
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
What about the pocket battles game?

Pocket Battles: Celts vs. Romans
Pocket Battles: Elves vs. Orcs
Pocket Battles: Macedonians vs. Persians
Pocket Battles: Confederacy vs Union

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell
Australia
Qld
flag msg tools
mb
Sphere wrote:
BGRuss wrote:

HeroScape is out of print, so you have to go to the second hand market. Looking on the Rise of the Valkyrie game page, I see an acceptable copy for $40, a very good one for $60 and like new one for $80. Given the prices of games today, those are absolute bargains.

Sorry I didn't mention I'm in Australia. There's one local in the market for $300, which is more than I can afford.

As for Pocket Battles, I had considered that before, but they're 2 player only, aren't they?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleCon is fun. I haven't tried it with three, although I know that it has rules to cover multi-player games. War of Indines might be a cheaper package, if you can find it.

(For that matter, I also like STAW. But it certainly does involve a lot of releases, if you're a completionist.)

You could combine toys, miniatures, or print-and-play counters with the free Full Thrust rules available online. It's an older title, but you can't beat the price, and the system is still well-regarded.

Neuroshima Hex! is quick, and plays three just fine. It's a little counter-intuitive for people trained on wargames, but that's less of a problem with kids.

Frontiers is cute, but another two-player. It was available on Tanga last I checked, but that might not do you much good.

I also like Micro Mutants: Evolution, although some people find a twiddly-winks combat game a step too far. Also published earlier as X-Bugs.

(I really like Battleground: Fantasy Warfare, but it is pretty locked in as a two-player game. You can do a combined command of one side, I suppose, but it might be a little weird. You'd probably also run into time limitations: I think most of my games have gone over 1 hour.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Battletech, if your definition of "tactical battle game" requires miniatures.

Ogre (The under $5 version), if you are willing to try hex and counter. If you like it, you can move on to other tactical wargames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vinsent Delvega
msg tools
mb
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/142551/titans-tactics

Fulfills a lot of your criteria, its only 1v1 though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell
Australia
Qld
flag msg tools
mb
You guys are coming up with some cool looking games I hadn't come across before. Unfortunaetly all 2 player only games are out of my current selection process. They might make it into future purchases though

I like the iOS version of Neuroshima hex, but all those attack calculations look like a real headache to do manually. I didn't realise it could be played with more than 2 as I hadn't looked in dtail at the BGG listing. I'll have to look in mor detail. Min negative, apart that it might be a little heavy strategy-wise for one of my boys, is that the post-apocalyptic theme might be a little heavier than I'd have liked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Proctor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are cheep miniatures which you can use for BattleTech. Check out www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/Science_Fiction.html for the Mechs, and Im quite sure there are some free Mech rules out on the web some where.

Also have you Sons got any LEGO?, check out the Brick Wars family on BGG.

And your Sons will love the free The Doctor Who Miniatures Game rules, I know there are some websites out there with free dowloadable fold-up card miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Proctor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like the idea of a Doctor Who game, download this and with a bit of glue you could play it tonight.

www.drwhominiatures.co.uk/dl/wharf.pdf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell
Australia
Qld
flag msg tools
mb
Wait, I bought a game called BattleTech about 20 years ago I think, but never played a single game as no one wanted to play with me? i may even still have that box somewhere, although I doubt its in one piece. I'll have to see if it's anything like the more modern version?

We used to have a largish Lego collection, but due to attrition from pets and visitors, it's pretty small now.

A for Doctor Who, wow! I love Doctor Who. I can't believe there's a miniatures game, and there's a free version, and it's only ever got 6 comments on BGG! How is that possible??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.