GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,705 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Fire in the Lake» Forums » Rules

Subject: ARVNbot Patrol rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Stone
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
ARVNbot patrols "if NVA or VC Guerillas on any LoCs would block a Patrol from Saigon to any City". What if there are multiple paths to a city, one blocked and the other unblocked? (e.g., guerilla on route 14 between Kontum and Dak To blocks one path to Da Nang but not the other). Patrol or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've playing that if there is any open path between a city and Saigon, even a roundabout one, then that city is not blocked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I might be wrong on this, but I think a patrol (or a sweep) will stop at a city. You can't just drive through cities to get to where you want to go - this means that the positioning of your cubes becomes even more important.

In Fire in the Lake, there happens to be alternate routes to cities, but, in other COIN games like ADP, the city of Kabul can get in the way a bit.

Just something to keep in mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thegreat2 wrote:
I might be wrong on this, but I think a patrol (or a sweep) will stop at a city. You can't just drive through cities to get to where you want to go - this means that the positioning of your cubes becomes even more important.

In Fire in the Lake, there happens to be alternate routes to cities, but, in other COIN games like ADP, the city of Kabul can get in the way a bit.

Just something to keep in mind.

You are correct about patrols stopped by guerrillas in cities. However, for the purposes of the non-player flowchart, only guerrillas blocking a city via LoC will trigger the Patrol Op. (8.7.3)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
The rich and powerful take what they want. We steal it back for you.
mbmbmbmbmb
thegreat2 wrote:

Actually, you're allowed to continue moving until you reach an Insurgent Piece.
3.2.2. Patrol wrote:
Each cube may move into any adjacent LoC or City and may keep entering adjacent LoCs or Cities until the player chooses to stop moving it or it enters a space with any NVA or VC piece.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Scottgun wrote:
I've playing that if there is any open path between a city and Saigon, even a roundabout one, then that city is not blocked.

Correct.

Regards, Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, Turbo2K5 (if that is your real name )

I think that is unique in the COIN series, isn't it? The others had us stop at cities, and at sabotage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No, it isn't. ADP (only) stops Patrolling forces at Sabotage (but allows them to keep moving past enemy pieces, which is unique in the series); both ADP and AA allow Patrolling units to move through as many Cities as you like.

Regards, Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alecc
United States
flag msg tools
I spent more time clipping chits than playing games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oerjan wrote:
Scottgun wrote:

Correct.

Regards, Oerjan

Volko weighed in on this over at CSW. Oerjan and Scott are correct.

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1dd8f40d/897
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.