GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,024 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very close on pulling the trigger on Outlaw --> Minecart upgrade on the pledge manager. The last thing stopping me is not knowing how the game's difficulty scales when the heroes gain experience and get better gear. Can you explain this to me please?

What I'm afraid is an endless grind fest with no real fear of being defeated.

Also is there a possibility of hero elimination?

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The monsters start as basic. As you level up they got more abilities (elite abilities) and start to confer more xp. Eventually they flip to the brutal side with more health and the like and can even be given elite abilities of their own

I am hoping that certain world are more difficult but with better rewards but obviously we don't know if that'll be the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the difficulty scales by selecting a different threat level card when drawing threats (either low medium or heavy), also the monsters gain elite abilities depending on hero level and when there are not enough models to spawn all monsters
i dont have all the details but this should give enough variance in difficulty
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Martin
United States
Lacey
WA
flag msg tools
Check out my Hollenguard book series on Amazon!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The threat cards drawn (low, medium, high) are based on number of heroes on the adventure. You also may have a number of revive tokens that immediately and completely heal a hero that is KO'd. It breaks down as follows:

1 Hero - Low Threats, 2 Revive tokens.
2 Heroes - Low Threats, 1 Revive token.
3 Heroes - Med Threats, 1 Revive token.
4 Heroes - Med Threats.
5 Heroes - High Threats, 1 Revive token.
6 Heroes - High Threats.

The book also suggests (and I didn't see this until game 10 or so) that a one- or two-hero party draw a High Threat instead of an Epic Threat for the climax of an adventure. Which means one- and two-hero parties won't even see the really big bads unless they choose to ignore this suggestion.

Furthermore, you add elite abilities to the monsters as you level up, and eventually flip them to a brutal side, and then even start adding elite abilities to them at the highest levels. i.e. my wife and I are currently hero level 4, which means that the enemies all have two randomly assigned elite abilities. The elite abilities both appropriately add to the difficulty, and reward heroes with a bit more XP for taking them down.

It's scaling great so far for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend and I played this after I spent the weekend trimming sprues and gluing the miniatures together. I'll have to check the rules to make sure we played correctly; but we got stomped on the first scenario. Our piano player and gunslinger were very unlucky and tended to max out on the peril die (6 monsters) and the monsters were scoring a lot of critical hits. We found the first clue for "A Fistful of Darkstone", but bad rolls on the Darkness track tended to spawn extra monsters, which was a problem because we were already fighting monsters.

I'm looking forward to trying the game again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Autoduelist wrote:
Our piano player and gunslinger were very unlucky and tended to max out on the peril die (6 monsters) and the monsters were scoring a lot of critical hits.

Enemies do NOT get critical hits on a "6"!
See Rulebook, page 27, "Enemy Attacks"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Belcher
United States
Lancaster
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a lot of randomness in this game - a LOT. That randomness has a massive, massive effect on difficulty, and, because characters are persistent from adventure to adventure, a string of good luck (even GREAT luck) can impact the game difficulty for... a good long time.

I'm not confident making sweeping assertions yet (until I play some more), but... I'm starting to think that a few strings of REALLY GOOD LUCK might absolutely destroy the enjoyability of the game. (REALLY BAD LUCK is just hilarious though; Seriously.)

That said, even our "Breaking the Game" Gunslinger actually met his match this last game. Elite powers, by themselves, can be game changing. Elite powers PLUS Other World threats starts to get... super challenging.

One thing that isn't strictly "scaling to characters", but will probably be something that players will do more often with later games and more experience, is LONGER adventures and more OTHER WORLD expeditions. Longer adventures give more time for Darkness cards and Growing Darkness cards to just absolutely jack up the difficulty. And being in the Other Worlds gives more "good loot" but tends to really up the difficulty.

Over all, -for now-, I'm really impressed with the scaling. It might FEEL really off in any given situation because of the randomness of everything, but it's working really well over all, in my experiences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Gardner
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:
Autoduelist wrote:
Our piano player and gunslinger were very unlucky and tended to max out on the peril die (6 monsters) and the monsters were scoring a lot of critical hits.

Enemies do NOT get critical hits on a "6"!
See Rulebook, page 27, "Enemy Attacks"

He could be referring to Tentacles specifically, that ignore your defense on 6s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.