GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,706 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: Painted up some Brimstone rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cory Scanlan
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Quickly painted up our Brimstone character minis yesterday (Marshal, Indian Scout and Outlaw) and posted about it on the Vorpal Chainsword blog.

I started with my buddy Steve's character: Marshal Brock Masters, to get my painting mojo back by making all my mistak....er, working out the kinks on him...
Marshal Brock Masters: Ready to heroically run from trouble.

...before moving onto my character: Mingo (the Indian Scout) or Mary's character: Clementine Sureshot (the Outlaw).

Mingo: Ready to scout out portals to other dimensions.

Speaking of the Outlaw there isn't a mini for one yet from Flying Frog, so I used one of the minis from the first Reaper Bones Kickstarter. Its a female cowboy mini that is armed with a pistol and a sawed-off shotgun, which is perfect for a female Outlaw character (with the Hitman trait that gives her a Shotgun).
Reaper Kickstarters: Filling your basement with unpainted miniatures since 2012.

That picture is the pewter version of the mini from the Reaper website. I actually have the plastic Bones version which had a little less detail on it, and the face didn't look nearly as good as that looks in the pic. The Bones one I have was basically missing a nose and kind of looked like a goblin-face. But since Clementine is an outlaw, I just made a bandana out of greenstuff for her and problem solved.

Also I got some advice from Mary on how to address the chest situation with Clementine's mini. Despite what you see in the picture above (or in every female fantasy miniature sculpt ever created), Outlaws generally don't always have their cleavage just hanging out. Painting in a tasteful black bustier was the answer to this problem.
Clementine Sureshot: Ready to rob banks and blast Hellbats.

So there you have it. Our three heroes rush-primed/painted and nearly table-ready for Shadows of Brimstone. Clementine still needs a proper base and all three bases require flocking (which I'll do once everything is painted), but at least they're usable for exploring other dimensions now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen G Roy
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coryscanlan wrote:

Reaper Kickstarters: Filling your basement with unpainted miniatures since 2012

LOL
They also work for Gutshot, Dead Man's Hand, Empire of the dead, and Blackwater Gulch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mbmb
Thumbs for the tasteful boustier, AND FOR THE FIRST SHOT COMPARING SoB MINIS TO REAPER'S MINIS!

She don't look half bad...

The next Reaper kickstarter has a slew of Savage World dudes that would look great in this game, including some undead gunslingers and this nasty thing:

How cool would this thing be in the Swamps of J?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry Klimov
Russia
flag msg tools
Dude, you solution with Clementine just amazing! And painting quality for unskilled me looks so good, that i'am start regret for paint set which I don't get at PledgeManager.
Please, post more in future
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Scanlan
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
mattprice wrote:

The next Reaper kickstarter has a slew of Savage World dudes that would look great in this game, including some undead gunslingers and this nasty thing:

Oh man, that Sarlacc pit thing looks awesome, and will indeed look perfect in the Swamps map. The second Bones Kickstarter pledge manager happened so long ago I don't even remember if I got the Savage Worlds set in my pledge, but I sure hope I did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Richardsville
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you use the paint kits that were offered in the Kickstarter?

If so did you only use those paints or did you use other paints as we'll?

Same with washes?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice job. Those look great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Scanlan
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
trakes wrote:

Same with washes?

Thanks!

Yes, I only used the Shadows of Brimstone paints from the character-paints box for those. I wanted to see if they'd do the job on their own, which they did. I should've mentioned that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mbmb
Did you prime them, or paint directly on the plastic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Silbernagel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Very good start so far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Scanlan
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
mattprice wrote:
Did you prime them, or paint directly on the plastic?

I always prime with flat black primer ("Chaos Black" from GW to be exact). And I'm painting everything from these games with only the Shadows of Brimstone paint sets.

This is not a great pic, but here's three more heroes I just finished. The Bandito, the Gunslinger, and the Marshall:

Were denim jeans around in the Old West? I could look it up, or just assume the gunslinger found some pants in an alternate dimension.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you paint before or after gluing the miniatures to their bases?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cody
United States
Columbus
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coryscanlan wrote:
trakes wrote:

Same with washes?

Thanks!

Yes, I only used the Shadows of Brimstone paints from the character-paints box for those. I wanted to see if they'd do the job on their own, which they did. I should've mentioned that.

They are in the back ground so I assumed you used them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Downing
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
coryscanlan wrote:
Were denim jeans around in the Old West? I could look it up, or just assume the gunslinger found some pants in an alternate dimension.

They were invented in 1873. So, depending on the era in question, yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
gavindowning wrote:
coryscanlan wrote:

They were invented in 1873. So, depending on the era in question, yes.

SoBS Rulebook page 1 wrote:
It is the mid-1880s in the Southwest United States, and the small mining town of Brimstone has found Dark Stone up in the hills; a new precious mineral with magical properties, rarer than gold… and more dangerous! Digging for it greedily, prospectors came from all around, not knowing the consequences of their actions until it was too late! In a flash, the town of Brimstone was consumed, the epicenter of a cataclysmic magical explosion, ripping open portals to other worlds down in the mines and unleashing a great Darkness to spread across the land!

The marshal on p16 appears to be wearing blue jeans. The indian scout on the cover may be as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Zelasco
United States
Beavercreek
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:
Thumbs for the tasteful boustier, AND FOR THE FIRST SHOT COMPARING SoB MINIS TO REAPER'S MINIS!

She don't look half bad...

I agree. Deadlands minis would work out extremely well with Shadows of Brimstone, considering they are basically the same game.

I am looking forward to getting my Bones 2 so I can add additional monsters to the mix. The non-deadlands minis would also be entertaining. For example, the burrowing horror would look great:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.