Angelo D'Argenio
United States
JERSEY CITY
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Hey Guys!

Long time user, semi-time converser, first time designer. I've recently decided to try my hand at creating a board game of my own design. Right now I have a working mechanics prototype that has been going under some pretty heavy playtesting for the past few months. It's not pretty (just some crappy vector art on card stock) but I am having a graphic designer friend of mine mock up some prettier versions right now.

I'm curious... when/how should I add this to the BGG database? Can/should I do it now while it's in development? Should I wait until all testing is done? Should I wait until the more graphically impressive copy is done? Should I wait even longer until we find a publisher or Kickstart it?

I also kinda want to talk about the development process with the community here. It's been a primary motivator toward getting me into the development biz. I just don't know how much is expected to be talked about, or in what forums I should do it in. I don't want to break any rules, piss off the community, or come off as full of myself. I just wanna share my game with the community.

This might strike you as kinda odd advice to ask, since it's primarily social in nature, but it's advice I still need.

Thanks for helping me out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest waiting until it's ready for release, whether as print-n-play or is published. This can be especially important if you go through a traditional publisher who may want to rename the game or who might prefer to coordinate adding the game to BGG with its retail release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Marsh
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
www.TinShoeGames.com
badge
www.TinShoeGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG Guide to Game Submissions wrote:
For self-published games and user-designer efforts, a game is ready to be added to the BGG database after the game has undergone play-testing and is available in its final form. If details about the game are still being resolved and the rules are still being changed over the course of the play-testing, the game is not sufficiently finalized for a BGG entry.

So, there it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Hamrick
United States
Moore
OK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.henceforthgame.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found that it can help you quite a bit if you are able to send out a lot of information all in one shot, ie screenshots, details about the game, and whatever news that you can come up with.

Through trial and error I discovered that if you don't have a finalized version of a game up, it's a lot harder to attract attention to the project. It also shows a lack of professionalism.

Once you're into the "getting the art done and KickStarter is next month" phase of the planning is when I would suggest putting up an entry. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
The existence of Kickstarter (and other crowdfunding platforms) sort of breaks the guidelines. You know your game isn't in the "final" state until after the campaign ends.

The important part is that your game should be stable. That means post playtesting, so there won't be any major changes.

New Bedford will be on Kickstarter through a publisher, and it was added after the contract was signed. That's a good indicator. Once you start considering the actual publication and manufacturing, it's ready.

Another way to consider it is that it should be something that you could upload the files and walk away from, and it would still be a game someone could play. If you can't walk away from it and have it still exist as a game, then it's not ready.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo D'Argenio
United States
JERSEY CITY
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Thanks guys! This helped alot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.