Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Damien York
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Next game of Eclipse, this is how I'm going to play:

Hide each players ship upgrades behind shields.

Whenever a ship is built that player will reveal what their upgrades currently are. They will calculate and write down that ship's stats, then hide their upgrades again. That ship will have those stats for the rest of the game or until destroyed, and will not be altered by later changes to player's board.

Research will still be public knowledge.

Anybody have a reason why this won't work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pol Michiels
Belgium
Ottenburg
Vlaams brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Of all people who have nothing to say, those who say nothing are the wisest.
mbmbmbmbmb
It'll work, but it'll be very very fiddly. Also, you may want to provide some kind of upgrade action that lets you upgrade all ships in friendly sectors to current type. Otherwise, you'll encourage people to only build very late in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Pilhatsch
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
You would have to number or mark ships of the same category to keep track.
It's also a lot of hassle. What is the perceived gain? cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bubba HoTep wrote:
Anybody have a reason why this won't work?

Much longer game.
Real mess during battle, planning actions, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien York
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
I'll have to try that one. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien York
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
I'd print out a sheet of things like this real small:

cut them out and write up the stats on those as they come out. Looking at it, I realise that I forgot to put a spot to record missiles, but anyway.

The reason I wanted to try it is I like the idea of the arms race in eclipse, but in practice everyone I play with gets way too hung up on were everyone else is at and the ships and the combat suffers for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Initiative?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien York
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Pilhatsch
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
Bubba HoTep wrote:

Still, you'll have to mark your ships somehow. How else do you keep track which ship has which upgrades?

In the end, it feels like an unnecessary complicated and time-consuming thing which is making battles and decisions leading up to battles much more complicated. Which in turn, might take away the fun for some players...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien York
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
I'd probably just use the paper as the ships. Might even print them out as tokens. I realise that this is going along way to make a very aesthetically clean game very ugly but at least it'll be easier to fit all the ships on one tile in those gigantic battles.

I am kind of getting that I should be playing some other space game rather than muddying the brilliance of Eclipse. BUT I doubt it could possibly be any more convoluted than that time we tried to play Eclipse with the full compliment of nine so hey whatever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.