Fire in the Lake» Forums » Rules

Subject: Why are there 2 starting coup cards in the Short scenario? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The title says it all really. I tried to play a multi-faction solo game (no NPCs, just me taking each side to learn).

I found it really bewildering, and have retreated back to the tutorial, rulebooks etc. There are many things I don't understand, but here is my first:

Why have Khanh under the Young Turks for setup of the Short game? I am thinking I must not understand the Leader change part of the Coup phase.

Thanks.

There will be more questions I'm sure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Gringer
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume that the Khanh coup card is water under the bridge by the time 1965 rolls around, and he is only in play in the full campaign game, which starts in 1964.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The number of Coup cards in the RVN Leader box matters for USbot Policy (8.8.1). If USbot is not in play, Khanh has no effect at all in the Short scenario.

Regards, Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Poutré
Canada
St-Jean-sur-Richelieu
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes... I still like 'em 32 years later...
mbmbmbmbmb
And one other reason why it's important is that every Pivotal Event has a prerequisite that there are 2 leaders in the RVN box. It's the case right off the bat for the Short scenario.

Give 2.4 another read to better understand what happens with leaders when a coup card is played. In short, Failed Attempts go to the bottom of the pile, unless the "leader" is Minh, in which case the card goes on top. Other than that, every new leader goes on top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Haskell
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marcon wrote:
And one other reason why it's important is that every Pivotal Event has a prerequisite that there are 2 leaders in the RVN box. It's the case right off the bat for the Short scenario.

Pivotal events are removed for the Short Scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please note that the pivotal events are not used in the short scenario.

If they were, however, they would be eligible right off the bat, as you said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
To add to what everyone else has said, it also keeps Khanh from being one of the Coup cards that might come up during the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Cooper
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Historically, South Vietnam in 1965 was in more of a mess than Iraq was today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Guttag
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To all:

In the "historical" set up for the Short Scenario, you'll be using the 1965 deck, which is suggestive that the Vietnam conflict is already at least 1 year beyond the Events in the 1964 deck. If you had been playing the Long Scenario (which in the "historical" set up, starts with 12 cards from the 1964 deck, followed by 24 cards from the 1965 deck), you would have likely gone through 1-2 Coup Rounds (each play up to the Coup Round corresponds to a campaign of ~1-2 years), so the 2 Coup Cards to be put into the RVN leader box for the Short Scenario reflect that fact. (Note to the shaded AAA Capability token in put into the Capability Box, reflecting the fact that AAA Card is removed/has been played already in the Short Scenario.) Also, as you don't reach the 1968-72 time period (which uses the 1968 cards in the Long Scenario "historical" set up), there would be at least 1 more Coup Round, so that's why you discard one of the Failed Attempt Coup cards in the Short Scenario. You would more likely have only 2 Coup Rounds for every 24 Event Cards in the Medium or Long Scenario, but the Short Scenario is somewhat of a compromise in using 3 Coup Cards, each mixed in with only 8 (not 12) Event Cards so the Coup Rounds are likely to occur somewhat faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oerjan wrote:
The number of Coup cards in the RVN Leader box matters for USbot Policy (8.8.1). If USbot is not in play, Khanh has no effect at all in the Short scenario.

Regards, Oerjan

Thank you. That makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At least one non-pivotal event also makes reference to the number of cards in the RVN leader box: 120 US Press Corps.

(I only know this because I just saw it in a game today.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not strictly speaking on topic but is there soem significant difference in gameplay or balance if you set up the short scenario with the historical cards rather than just take a bunch of random even cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neal Smith wrote:
Not strictly speaking on topic but is there soem significant difference in gameplay or balance if you set up the short scenario with the historical cards rather than just take a bunch of random even cards?

Gameplay-wise, of course it gives greater & presumably more interesting variety of events when you play several times.

Balance-wise, I've seen different experienced players give different answers elsewhere about whether or not there might be more extreme luck of the draw when playing with all cards mixed instead of historical. (I am not experienced enough to have a very useful opinion... FWIW I've tried it both ways and didn't notice any dramatic difference in that regard.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Russ.

I'm a newbie at the game myself but have read the rules several times, printed player aids. watched the tutorial videos and run through the sceanario step by step and I get the job of teaching it rookies tonight.

Just didn't want to mess it up if we go random cards (not that there is no reason not to go historical either....)

Nervous and so excited!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.