Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
toby
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
House Rule idea 1: We've been toying with allowing for some additional discard to mitigate brutal hands. The simplest thing would be to just allow a 1 card discard at the end of your turn before the card draw to 7. The degree of change from R.A.W. could be lessened by discarding AFTER the end of the turn draw to seven.

Alternately, players could get one "Time Out" per game (or per half), which would work like the "Huddle" tactic card, but without the possibility of a cheat card counter. A Time Out must be followed by an activation rather than a tactic card.

House Rule idea 2: Has anyone tried adding dice to the contests to decrease certainty? One idea would be to have both players roll the die and add it to their score, with ties consequent to those rolls being resolved by a standard active player die roll. I'm not saying the game "needs" this at all, but I'm wondering whether anyone's tried something like this and whether it might not be fun and possibly make decision-making quicker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaru Rainn
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I like the idea 1. The gameplay (just like any other card game) can suffer when you draw poorly. I was thinking of a mulligan concept as well.

However, I'm not so keen on idea 2. Though I am a fan of dice esp. in miniature games, I like the deterministic style of the game. I feel it makes plays more calculative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador Bernadó
Spain
Gavà
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see that the rule idea 1 would solve anything.
If a player has a good hand, he can discard the worst card he has and get a better card or even the same.
And the same applies to the player that has the worst hand.
Luck is luck after all.
However, as with all house rules, the best way to know if it works is trying. Whether it works or not, it doesn't matter. If your gaming friends like the game more with this rule, then by all means, you have to use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toby
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bernado wrote:
I don't see that the rule idea 1 would solve anything.
If a player has a good hand, he can discard the worst card he has and get a better card or even the same.

It feels like the difference between an average hand and a bad hand is pretty damn big, whereas a "great" hand isn't that much better than an average hand, so the idea of discarding/drawing 1 card a turn (whether before or after the draw to 7) would do more to help the player who's screwed by bad luck than it would to help the player who drew a great hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toby
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a third House Rule idea we haven't tried (following on the two ideas in the OP), as well as two rule changes we already implement, and finally a comment on trying out my OP's House Rule idea #1.

House Rule Idea #3 (following on the OP): Your players could perform better in contests when their team has a numerical advantage/they have "support".

a. You could implement this VERY simply by counting up additional kill zones you exert on a contest opponent and awarding the side with more extra kill zones on the opposing contesting player a bonus of the difference (or simply +1 no matter what the difference if you wanted a minimal effect.)

b. Slightly more complicated but probably thematically better, play as in (a), but only count/compare the extra kill zones exerted on a contest opponent by minis which are not themselves in the kill zone of any opposing minis (other than the opposing mini involved in the contest).

This would make "gang-ups" possible and allow runners to have some value in a fight, so long as a bruiser is there to lead the charge. Definitely more thematic and less abstract-y/chess-y, but would it be more fun/better?

Already-Implemented House Rule #1 (also mentioned elsewhere by others): Players can play cheats as dead cards during a contest (we invert them to remind us) and they do NOT count as burned cheats at the end of the period.

Discussion: I've read the arguments that go something like "just manage your hand better; you should have something else to play as a dead card". For us, it's much more strategically interesting, thematic and fun to be able to decide whether to cheat or not and, if not, dump the cheats as dead cards in contests.

Honestly, the defenses of this particular rule-as-written seem slavish. That is: if you were writing the rules of the game from scratch, would you
really declare that cheats that are simply dumped as dead cards have to paid off or rolled for? Does this actually make the game more fun? For us there isn't much debate.

Already-Implemented House Rule #2: Reactions are NOT absolutely always the first thing that has to happen when a mini moves into an opponent's killzone. Marker effects from Fire and Trash happen first. In addition, the non-active player can play a Bzzzt! card and THEN React.

Discussion: The FAQ's response to one very specific situation that stated Reactions are always the very first thing that happens when a mini enters a killzone-square isn't necessarily a thoroughly vetted/tested/developed rule vis-a-vis all possible "things" that could happen at that point.

Indeed, the FAQ question involves only the (obviously answered, at least to us) question of whether you can wait until an opponent's mini picks up the ball to react to its having entered your killzone. Picking up the ball, obviously and logically, comes
well after a mini enters a square and hence after things keyed to the mini's entry should happen (in whatever order they ought to happen). Thus the FAQ's broad statement wasn't needed to deal with that narrow situation, and it has possibly unintended consequences that seem strange, illogical, and unthematic, at least to us.

Likewise, just because there is a general provision in the FAQ that the active player decides the order of resolution for seemingly simultaneously timed events doesn't mean there shouldn't be exceptions and/or more specified timings regarding certain abilities/situations.

Thematically, Fire and Trash and the like are
already there and they affect the whole square and act like "land mines", going off when stepped on, while the reacting mini has to come from outside as a response to entry, often from the opposite direction. And if a player can cheat and shock a guy a la Bzzzt!, why does that player have to wait until after trying to tackle/attack him to do so? Allowing the converse makes Bzzzt! a very useful as a one-time counter to Pain/Gain, which is neat.

(I feel like there's another ability that's keyed to square entry, but can't think of it offhand...)

FWIW the "active player decides order of resolution" ruling feels like it was conditioned by theme/fun at least as much as it was by some a priori principle or tight, well-developed theoretical ruleset mysteriously absent from the published rulebook. After all, the ruling was in response to the Goblins combining Boot To The Head and Mosh, and it allows said combo to come off with maximum efficacy, which is surely FUN. Might that not be why this unfortunately overbroad ruling was made?

Bottom line: We simply find it's more fun, interesting and intuitive -- and in no way unbalanced or inelegant -- to play these effects like this.

An additional comment regarding House Rule Idea #1 in the OP: We've now tried the "1 free un-counter-able Huddle per game" variant and felt like it wasn't quite enough. If we don't do a version of "discard 1 card per turn" next, we're going to try doing a total hand-dump (must dump whole hand, not just part) instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Check out the Board Game Beacon Blog: Click here then click on "Blogs" in the menu bar
badge
Follow me on Twitter: @BoardGameBeacon
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say I find virtually all of your rule mods intriguing and they're obviously well thought-out and could add something to the game in various ways. I don't think I'd implement any of the discard rules though as they would change the game too much in a way I'm not comfortable with.

tobyjason wrote:
Already-Implemented House Rule #1 (also mentioned elsewhere by others): Players can play cheats as dead cards during a contest (we invert them to remind us) and they do NOT count as burned cheats at the end of the period.

This is a rule I'm considering because it's a way of clearing a cheat card from your hand without fear of reprisals and I agree that it is strange having to pay off a card that you didn't benefit from. I think I'll play as normal for a while but keep this one in mind as a possible mod in the future if I feel it's necessary.

tobyjason wrote:
House Rule #2: Reactions are NOT absolutely always the first thing that has to happen when a mini moves into an opponent's killzone. Marker effects from Fire and Trash happen first.

This is something I think I'll definitely implement - it doesn't make sense that a player moving into a space wouldn't get burnt by fire or trip over trash before someone can react.

tobyjason wrote:
In addition, the non-active player can play a Bzzzt! card and THEN React.

Bzzzzt says you can play it whenever an opposing figure enters one of your kill zones, and as it's a cheat card it doesn't have to follow the reaction-first rule, so even under the normal rules you can play Bzzzzt at the moment the figure enters your kill zone, and then you can react afterwards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.