Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I grew up playing Talisman, but my tastes have changed quite a bit since those halcyon days of youth. Today I'm more apt to suggest Puerto Rico or Le Havre than Talisman or Twilight Imperium. That said, it was a rueful half memory of Talisman (second edition) that original led me to BGG's doorstep, and my heart was filled with glee when it eventually found itself back in print, first by Black Industries and then Fantasy Flight.

My Question: All that said, my girlfriend loves fantasy, adventure games and has never encountered even Runebound, let alone Talisman. With her birthday coming up, and followed closely by Christmas, I figured her day of joy would make the perfect excuse to bring a copy into our pad: Talisman core (+ Reaper) on her birthday, with a big box expansion coming on Christmas.

My only problem is I can't figure out which board expansion to get her.

Any thoughts with what pairs best with the core set and Reaper?

My research is leading me towards The City, but I've heard good things about Dungeon too. Am I correct in assuming that FFG has only released four board extensions (Dungeon, City, Frostmarch, Highlands) with Dragon offering a overlay of the original board? I get that Dungeon is more for higher levels, and City is a boon to lower levels, but where does Frostmarch or Highlands fit in? Am I missing any (that will be on shelves by early December)?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frostmarch is not a board expansion. The fourth (and probably final) board expansion is Talisman (Revised 4th Edition): The Woodland Expansion that is just being released right about now. From the three board expansions I own, dungeon is easily my favorite. The Highlands is a bit meh and the city - while nice - doesn't really have that much "oomph" in it.

That said it might not be a bad idea to get a small expansion (or two) instead of a board expansion, especially if you're mostly playing with just the two of you. Try Frostmarch, Blood Moon, Sacred Pool or The Firelands. The Reaper is my favorite but the rest are all good as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Tosolini
Italy
Povoletto
Udine
flag msg tools
That's because I currently cannot play any board games.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Base game + Reaper is ok to start playing.

The Dungeon was the first expansion and is much more difficult than the base game encounters, so it adds a new challenge if you want it, though as a Region it is a bit monotone because of the high rate of Enemies in the deck. This could not be a problem, my wife loves the Dungeon above any other board because she levels up fast there.

Many people do not like the Highland because it is a bit bland, but it features some dangerous encounters that spice it up. Of course venturing there if your character automatically kills Str 8 and Cft 8 Enemies won't be so exciting, but the Highland can be entered from the very first turn if you want a difficulty level comparable to the base game and the option to gain a lot of gold and Trinkets (Objects that do not occupy space in your inventory). Gaining gold has not much meaning until you add the City Expansion, but other treasures are nice to have. Moreover, the expansion comes with 3 Alternative Endings which Dungeon doesn't have.

City is ok but doesn't add much adventure, so I don't recommend it as a first board expansion. It's good to add it later, when you ask yourself the question "What shall I do with all the gold in my pockets?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting that nobody has discussed the additional player-characters which come with each expansion. That's what guided my first big box purchase: the characters inside.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Tosolini
Italy
Povoletto
Udine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sfwg46 wrote:
Very interesting that nobody has discussed the additional player-characters which come with each expansion. That's what guided my first big box purchase: the characters inside.

Oh yes, I wanted to say something about characters but eventually forgot. 6 in the Highland and 5 in the Dungeon. Alchemist from Highland tends to be a bit overpowered, especially with the City, but some of the others are among my favourites (Rogue, Vampiress). Dungeon has excellent characters as well: Amazon, Gypsy, Swashbuckler and Gladiator are must-haves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
City, 1st. It is way different than the other expansions, adds a lot of new items and stuff! A place to spend your gold!

Next for an additional board I recommend the Highlands. Its great for beginning leveling and gets you gold for the city! I disagree completely with Paolo Tosolini(The_Warlock)on this. I have seen others recommend going there for early game leveling and took the advice, now those who play with me are doing the same. True, it can be less dangerous and less exciting in later levels, that's why I like it for early levels.

The next board expansion I recommend is the Dungeon. It is for higher level leveling. In our games it gets the least use. Because by the time most are ready for the Dungeon someone is going to the CoC already, or going against Dragons (see more below).

The Dragon Expansion: Perhaps the most controversial expansion. About half the people do not like it. So lots of people play it with variations or house rules. I hated the expansion until I created a new way to play it, and now enjoy it a lot!

But don't take my word for it look at the poll on how the Dragon expansion is varied in opinion:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1108068/do-you-dragon-expans...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and yes, Markus(DeePee) is correct, Frostmarch is NOT a big box/board expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Tosolini
Italy
Povoletto
Udine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DomaGB wrote:
Next for an additional board I recommend the Highlands. Its great for beginning leveling and gets you gold for the city! I disagree completely with Paolo Tosolini(The_Warlock)on this. I have seen others recommend going there for early game leveling and took the advice, now those who play with me are doing the same. True, it can be less dangerous and less exciting in later levels, that's why I like it for early levels.

Your opinion on the Highland is very close to mine for disagreeing completely with me.

Depending on how much it gets diluted into a full or trimmed Adventure deck, Firelands has increased the difficulty of the main board, so Highland has become a preferred place to visit when characters are weak. It's also good because you don't need a Mule to venture inside and stay for long, since you will find mostly Trinkets and the only Objects are average Weapons/Armour, Walking Stick and Horns of Power, which are usually worth keeping.

You won't do much with Diamonds and Emeralds if you don't have the City expansion, but still you can hoard all the game's gold for yourself and prevent the others from ever gaining it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You make a good point about Firelands increasing the danger of the main board.

The de-facto move for my game group now is to dive into Highlands first. We've had as many as 5 of 6 players in there at the start which tends to make it pretty interesting.

Our next session is Sep 27th. Hopefully Woodlands will be out by then. No idea how strong it will be. I'm actually hoping it will be closer to Highlands in enemy power than Dungeon given the latter is more of an end-game attraction than early/mid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pasc75 l
Canada
Laval
Québec
flag msg tools
Now that i have the woodland i would say that would be great for the first big box. The new content(fate stuff) and caracters are really cool. Than city-highland-dungeon and dragons at last(tho i like the caracters very much).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just buy them all, you know you are going to want to. The only 2 expansions we are missing is Nether Realm and Firelands, and that is only because they don't have them at our local store when we go, and we keep forgetting to get them on Amazon. Actually now that I think about it I am going to go order those now......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.