Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Thinking about introducing a timer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ashley Grenon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a game of TI coming up next month. In effort to speed up the game, I'm thinking about bringing out a timer after the first or second round to combat analysis paralysis. Our last game it was pretty bad and really dragged out the game.

What do you think will be a good time limit per player turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Just make sure everyone knows what the "penalty" is for exceeding the timer. And look for ways to mitigate it. Sometimes, having default actions if time runs out can ruin the game just as much as an overly-dragged-out game can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Grenon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Just make sure everyone knows what the "penalty" is for exceeding the timer. And look for ways to mitigate it. Sometimes, having default actions if time runs out can ruin the game just as much as an overly-dragged-out game can.

You know this just reminded another thing that dragged out our game: a player would end their turn but the next player didn't realize it and so the game would be paused for no reason.

Any ideas to prevent this as well? I suppose if the timer was still running that may help. Maybe ringing a bell and the end of your turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
townsean wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:

You know this just reminded another thing that dragged out our game: a player would end their turn but the next player didn't realize it and so the game would be paused for no reason.

Any ideas to prevent this as well? I suppose if the timer was still running that may help. Maybe ringing a bell and the end of your turn?

Have one player be the "whip master", and just be vigilant on letting the next person know its their turn. Probably some kind of rule of stating that during a round, no straying far from the table (and maybe allow for a short break between rounds).

Having someone say "Ok, #2, Jim, it's your turn", and "Jim, you're up after Bob, so start thinking about it" can work wonders. Not the most glamorous job, but it does help a lot!

Of course, if EVERYONE is in the same boat, then it doesn't help much But if even one or two players are on the ball, they can keep the rest in shape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't remember who pointed it out, but another BGG user recommended the DGT Cube game timer. I picked one up, and it's pretty sweet for this purpose. Once you get it set up, it automatically stops and starts a facing's timer when that facing is turned up. Use the cube itself as the "Active Player" marker, passing it off to someone when it's their turn. Have each facing match the player's color.

I had it set to just count up the entire time, so we knew how much of the game was spent by each person. Pausing it when strategy cards were flipped, and for combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is always true with TI#. Someone usually has to move the game along, be ready to tell the inexperienced guys what happens next and to move them along so no one is waiting between player turns or game phases.

also try and overlap, no reason to wait on someone to build to start the next turn if the 2 players are not anywhere near each other. Same goes for space battles if you are not interested in attack that same space, keep playing.

-M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
ya gotta bunny/duck it in your head
badge
"I looked at my hands, I understood that one fine day, one fine evening to be precise, they would no longer be hands but some other awful thing." —Jack Kerouac
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a +N for having a dedicated Game Master—usually the most experienced person at the table—to verbally expedite the game.

I also recommend having everyone read (or reread) the rules before every play. Myself included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:

I have yet to try it myself, but I have bern told that just having a timer counting up can speed things up. That could be worth trying before you introduce an actual limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bowser
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
townsean wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:

Have one player be the "whip master", and just be vigilant on letting the next person know its their turn. Probably some kind of rule of stating that during a round, no straying far from the table (and maybe allow for a short break between rounds).

Having someone say "Ok, #2, Jim, it's your turn", and "Jim, you're up after Bob, so start thinking about it" can work wonders. Not the most glamorous job, but it does help a lot!

Of course, if EVERYONE is in the same boat, then it doesn't help much But if even one or two players are on the ball, they can keep the rest in shape.

This is what we use the Voice of the Council for (from the Shattered Empire expansion). Whoever gets elected Voice of the Council is in charge of keeping the game moving. If that person is slacking then a new person will likely be elected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Way
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IncrediSteve wrote:
I can't remember who pointed it out, but another BGG user recommended the DGT Cube game timer. I picked one up, and it's pretty sweet for this purpose. Once you get it set up, it automatically stops and starts a facing's timer when that facing is turned up. Use the cube itself as the "Active Player" marker, passing it off to someone when it's their turn. Have each facing match the player's color.

I had it set to just count up the entire time, so we knew how much of the game was spent by each person. Pausing it when strategy cards were flipped, and for combat.

We tried this out a couple of weeks ago, to good effect. It was still a long game, and we needed to be more vigilant on 'timer pauses' at appropriate points. Just having the timer running (and being passed person to person) was a great aid in focusing everyone, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Just make sure everyone knows what the "penalty" is for exceeding the timer.

Just shoot the b*stard in the knee. I can practically guarantee you he won't do it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan Tuijp wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
Just make sure everyone knows what the "penalty" is for exceeding the timer.

Just shoot the b*stard in the knee. I can practically guarantee you he won't do it again.

Actually, wouldn't that make it worse? "Quit writhing around on the floor clutching your leg and take your turn, already! Don't make me shoot you again!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also encourage people to just take their turns while the last guy is still going, unless it matters, which it probably doesn't half the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.