Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Saddleback, covered by a blanket of winter snow
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Major points:
Standard & Poor's wrote:
* At extreme levels, income inequality can harm sustained economic growth over long periods. The U.S. is approaching that threshold.

* Standard & Poor's sees extreme income inequality as a drag on long-run economic growth. We've reduced our 10-year U.S. growth forecast to a 2.5% rate. We expected 2.8% five years ago.

* With wages of a college graduate double that of a high school graduate, increasing educational attainment is an effective way to bring income inequality back to healthy levels.

* It also helps the U.S economy. Over the next five years, if the American workforce completed just one more year of school, the resulting productivity gains could add about $525 billion, or 2.4%, to the level of GDP, relative to the baseline.

* A cautious approach to reducing inequality would benefit the economy, but extreme policy measures could backfire.

I think one of the major economic problems is that very poor people have no disposable income, so they're customers for food but nothing else.

It's interesting to see a business analysis company like Standard & Poor's wading in on this issue.

Full article: https://www.globalcreditportal.com/ratingsdirect/renderArtic...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Come over here and talk with the rest of us about this:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1236481/us-wealth-gap-puttin...

And by "talk about," I mean get called names if you don't think the entire nation oughtta order a set of bootstraps off Amazon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But...but...trickle down...I mean, I feel the trickle on my head, and the 'job creators' are totally telling me it's rain!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stupid poor people fucking things up again. If only they'd think of someone other than themselves. Also: Obama!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Saddleback, covered by a blanket of winter snow
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:

The issue is far broader and more fundamental than state revenues, and the States are hugely more functional than Congress, so whether they want to cut spending or increase revenue, they can. And, States confuse the issue by having fifty distinct sets of conditions. What CA needs is not what UT needs etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:

And by "talk about," I mean get called names if you don't think the entire nation oughtta order a set of bootstraps off Amazon.

I guess Cobert thinks S&P works for the Easter Bunny now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:

No, But I am starting to think there is a new left wing buzz word of
"income inequality" . I assume HuffPo or CNN is running a bunch of stories about it as we are coming up to an election. Dumb people love two things, repetition and catch phrases. SO I assume we will start to see plenty of stories about income inequality and wage theft in the next few weeks as we lead up to the November elections because Dumb people love two things, repetition and catch phrases.

And remember, stay classy my uncomplicated friends, stay classy !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
TheChin! wrote:

"income inequality" . I assume HuffPo or CNN is running a bunch of stories about it as we are coming up to an election. Dumb people love two things, repetition and catch phrases. SO I assume we will start to see plenty of stories about income inequality and wage theft in the next few weeks as we lead up to the November elections because Dumb people love two things, repetition and catch phrases.

HA HA HA HA!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
... wage theft ...

Is that the conservative catch phrase for income taxes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
... wage theft ...

It's the latest moonbat catch phrase , search for it on twitter. I'm sure you will be hearing more about it as we close in on November.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Wage theft" is the popular term for employees not receiving the wages that they are legally entitled to, because of asymmetrical power relationships with their employer. E.g., overtime that should be paid by law, time spent on employer-mandated duties that is not compensated, and so on. I'm not sure it is the best term but it does describe a real problem especially for the most disadvantaged workers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rhodes
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As Seen on TV!
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
... wage theft ...

It sounds suspiciously like "wage slavery", which I believe is known as "work" to normal people. Maybe someone is just trying to slide the Overton Window a bit before going full throttle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
myopia wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
TheChin! wrote:

HA HA HA HA!

Wwwwwwow....'hoisted on his own petard', indeed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
myopia wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
TheChin! wrote:

HA HA HA HA!

I love you moontbats, you never disappoint....
It will take a few minutes to see exactly what I did there... Instant classic....

stay classy my credulous friends, stay classy !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
myopia wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
TheChin! wrote:

HA HA HA HA!

I love you moontbats, you never disappoint....
It will take a few minutes to see exactly what I did there... Instant classic....

stay classy my credulous friends, stay classy !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually thought it was an intended joke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceGhost wrote:

You really think Jeremy possesses that much self-awareness?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
SpaceGhost wrote:

You'd be surprised.

For example a certain poster (PS) a while back about my lack of self-awareness and compared me to James. Yet I was perfectly aware of his and others' views on my actions and why they had them. I was just surprised at the holding onto a grudge about it and also while seeing their point of view flatly disagreed with it.

Self-awareness does not mean you accept others' perspective of you as correct just that if you don't you have some sort of reasons for doing so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
SpaceGhost wrote:

search RSP and see, Ive done the exact same joke several times. And every god damn time I do it, some genius falls for it....(thumbs up !) it never fucking fails.... It makes me laugh every damn time....

"Oh Coberts, you are so stooopid !!!!!"

I love you moonbats ! you guy make my day sometimes....

Stay classy my gullible friends, stay classy !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
SpaceGhost wrote:

search RSP and see, Ive done the exact same joke several times. And every god damn time I do it, some genius falls for it....(thumbs up !) it never fucking fails.... It makes me laugh every damn time....

"Oh Coberts, you are so stooopid !!!!!"

I love you moonbats ! you guy make my day sometimes....

Stay classy my gullible friends, stay classy !

So the fact that you have portrayed yourself so poorly that people believe you are this one-dimensional... is a good thing? Because it lets you pull off jokes about how one-dimensional you seem?

Why do I suddenly feel like I need to watch The Prestige again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
The better example of stupid repetition is the: Stay classy, stay classy bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SaroDarksbane wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
... wage theft ...

It sounds suspiciously like "wage slavery", which I believe is known as "work" to normal people. Maybe someone is just trying to slide the Overton Window a bit before going full throttle.

That's not what wage slavery is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
myopia wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
TheChin! wrote:

HA HA HA HA!

15 thumbs and counting for explaining the joke. Not rare around here.

Also, you missed one. FTFY.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United States
flag msg tools
What the article says is that the Federal government is the best friend of portfolio wealth. No need to twist my arm there.

It's tantamount to an admission of the Federal Reserve and all it's affiliated Federal agents that they never 'fixed' anything at all. They just moved the furniture around. It's not working. They never had the antidote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Knewt wrote:
It's tantamount to an admission of the Federal Reserve and all it's affiliated Federal agents that they never 'fixed' anything at all. They just moved the furniture around. It's not working. They never had the antidote.

What are you talking about "fixing" or "antidote" for? If you're concerned that American workers aren't doing as well as they used to, due to technological change and global competition and a host of other factors, it's not really reasonable to expect the Federal Reserve to somehow solve that with monetary policy alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.