Popular Tags: [View All]
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys, I am having difficulties to learn the game.
There are so many versions and I don't know where to start.
I've never play the game before, even the previous editions, so it's clearly I know nothing about the game and how the game works.
I've been reading the original rulebook from KS edition and it's not a big help. I've checked the video section in the forum but the closest one I can found is for the previous version and sorry to say it's not really help me either.
So can someone post a video review or how to play for the KS edition?

Let's hope
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb

could read this and help me out.
They're few game reviewers that I found easy to learn from.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would a video really help? Especially if the video is made to show all the rule versions, you'd probably be more confused afterwards.

Just go find the AH's basic rules. It's 3 pages long. Learn that, play that, then branch out to the other versions as you see fit. I know the basic rules can be found in Vassal's Kremlin Module.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DW Kelly
United States
Lawrence
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I for one, never having played Kremlin, would find a "How to Play' styled video of the base game very helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DiploGuy wrote:
Would a video really help? Especially if the video is made to show all the rule versions, you'd probably be more confused afterwards.

Just go find the AH's basic rules. It's 3 pages long. Learn that, play that, then branch out to the other versions as you see fit. I know the basic rules can be found in Vassal's Kremlin Module.

Yes, maybe it is. But if it's broken down into several part to define each version that would be very helpful.
Of course the video would gives you the general idea on how the game works, especially about the influence aspect. Somehow I don't understand clearly (so it's vaguely) reading the rules on how to declare influence.

I tried the game last night with 4 players and AH rules. And some of the rules were contradicting the information from the game board / player mat (which was a pain for other players).

There are some questions and would love to get clarifications if possible.

1. At the start of the game, each player assign influence to 10 politicians, secretly. Any insight on deciding which ones should be assigned?
2. And during the game, you cannot assign more than 10 politicians? So if all of your politicians are crossed off the game, you're done for the rest of the game?
3. When declaring, how it work in reality? Does anyone can claim anytime without turn order? And how about declaring and influence in the same time? Is it possible?
4. Last night one player had control of the PC, KGB Head, Foreign Minister and Defense Minister (I know we, other players made a big mistake). He was very firm control the top level politburos. Is it any other way to topple him off?
5. The basic rules doesn't use Intrigue cards (haven't read the advance rules, only Jolly Roger rules). Based on the JR rules, each player starting clockwise from the highest ranking member of the politburo, can choose between 2 IP / 2 Cards / 1 IP & 1 Card during year 3,6 & 9. So when playing basic AH rules, you don't get these? So you never get extra IP on politicians during the game?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vardamir wrote:

1. At the start of the game, each player assign influence to 10 politicians, secretly. Any insight on deciding which ones should be assigned?

That is the toughest part about the game. It does depend on which rule set you're going by. If you play the straight up AH rules you can expect several Politicians that start off the board to make there way up into the Politburo. So putting some high IPs among them isn't a bad idea. You could try the blitz technique, I've seen it work, where 5-10 you assign to Politicians already in the Politburo with your highest on at least two that start in level 1.

You could go with the rule set that has you assign points prior to the politicians being distributed. Since it's purely random there's absolutely no thought necessary. I'd recommend that if you are playing with the young politician set and the People being comprised of only 4 politicians.
vardamir wrote:

2. And during the game, you cannot assign more than 10 politicians? So if all of your politicians are crossed off the game, you're done for the rest of the game?

I've never seen a game where someone has all 10 of their politicians off the game. Remember if they are in Siberia you can bring them back, rehabilitation. However, during the adding influence phase you can add to politicians you didn't initially. Essentially you could end up with 13 politicians. Perhaps there's even intrigue cards that let you do this to.

vardamir wrote:

3. When declaring, how it work in reality? Does anyone can claim anytime without turn order? And how about declaring and influence in the same time? Is it possible?

To me this is the best part of the game, there is no structure. There is no turn order. There is nothing you have to wait for. It's completely fluid. It doesn't matter if someone is in the middle of trying to make a decision, someone can announce a different IP level and take the guy over. Players could be fighting over one guy and someone announces they are putting influence on someone else entirely.

The way I play it is verbal is all that's needed. You don't have to physically get your token on the Politician you just have to announce it first.

Same time depends on the rules you use. Some say first to announce gets it and if truely simultaneous then high dice roll gets it. Others say you can tie the highest influence and then other players that also have influence on that politician can "donate" 1/10th of there influence amount on that politician to whomever they want to control the guy. If there are no other players I'd just go with whoever got there first.

vardamir wrote:

4. Last night one player had control of the PC, KGB Head, Foreign Minister and Defense Minister (I know we, other players made a big mistake). He was very firm control the top level politburos. Is it any other way to topple him off?

Wow, no there's nothing you can do other than hope for really bad dice during the health phase.

But watch this, if all the other players control politicians among the 2nd level and the PC dies you can force a 2nd level politician to bypass all the 1st level guys and take the PC spot. Then he can demote all the 1st level guys as he feels fit.

How? The 4 among the 2nd level all vote no on the first nomination (assuming the player nominates his own guy). The FM must nominate someone among the no votes. Since the FM can't vote no against his own nomination that leaves only two no votes among the other 1st level politicians. Therefore, 2nd level guy is in.

vardamir wrote:

5. The basic rules doesn't use Intrigue cards (haven't read the advance rules, only Jolly Roger rules). Based on the JR rules, each player starting clockwise from the highest ranking member of the politburo, can choose between 2 IP / 2 Cards / 1 IP & 1 Card during year 3,6 & 9. So when playing basic AH rules, you don't get these? So you never get extra IP on politicians during the game?

Not if you're going with the AH basic rules. I always play with the adding influence phase rules but I don't care to play with the intrigue cards. To me it adds more randonness than I care for plus it slows the game down when players ask to hold on while they re-read their cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. It's very helpful.
Need to try the advance game and also JR rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.