Dario Arosio
Italy
Biassono
Monza e Brianza
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,
I'm currently in the process of organizing some kind of recurring sunday afternoon entertaining program for a dozen of children and teen between 8 and 16 of age and I need some help.
The idea was that they could be divided in groups and play some board game while supervised by me. Problem is, I can't come up with a list of suitable board games.
So I'm here to ask your help, oh mighty internet wisdom laugh
The games should be fast to teach and to setup, not really language dependant unless there's a translation in italian and they shouldn't require me as a moderator (except for those game where I can fit everyone to play together like ultimate werewolf).
I'd also need 1 or 2 games to leave them in awe, like some kind of miniature game or extremely beautiful game. A painted warhammer army being the main example but of course I can't let children of 8 year play with that (unless there's some kind of simplified variant).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dark angel
United Kingdom
East Riding of Yorkshire
East Riding
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
King of tokyo; carcassone, splendor. King and assasins; have all gone down with youngsters in my exerience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
You and me...We're in this together now...None of them can stop us now...We will make it through somehow
mbmb
I'll offer a few recommendations based on what seems to work well with my two children. They are ages 14 and 10, so they fall right in the middle of your demographic. Are you going to encourage the various ages to play together or are you assuming that the teens and the youngsters will play separately?

On the quick and easy end of the spectrum, you might consider a selection of small box games. Our family keeps these in the car. They play fast and are easy to teach to anyone who happens to be with us. They are all language independent and suitable for a range of ages.
1) No Thanks!
2) For Sale
3) Coloretto
4) Love Letter
5) Hey, That's My Fish!
6) Hanabi

Move up the scale a bit, you might consider:
7) Dominion -- it looks like there is an Italian version. My younger child began playing this when he was 8. They'll need help from an older child to get going, but they should pick it up with familiarity.
8) Formula D -- everyone can play this racing game together
9) Ticket to Ride: Europe

Really there are tons of options and I could go on. It is is important to remember that the younger ones are often capable of more than you expect and the oldest ones sometimes have the hardest time staying focused!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dario Arosio
Italy
Biassono
Monza e Brianza
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try to encourage them to play together but I'll let them divide themselves however they want

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.