Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Preamble: I'm currently trying to decide between these two titles. I've watched the videos, I've read the reviews. I get their respective mechanics. What I can't determine, however, is the subjective fun factor they will impart: Will I come home from a day at work and want to crack a beer before playing Glass Road with my girlfriend, or will I feel like I just burned my brain working on a mathematics degree by games end? Or, in simpler terms, I'm looking for a medium weight, engine builder that would fit this scene: Game + beer + Chinese take out boxes + girlfriend.

- That Aside -

Question: My real reason for posting today is about their respective solo games. Which one is more fun, subjectively speaking? Yes, that means in your opinion. There isn't any objective truth to this, but I find it rewarding to hear from personal experience.

I get the impression Suburbia meets my "light, fun game" criteria more than Glass Road, which is a pity since Glass Road is likely the better game (i.e. the deeper resource / engine generating title). Part of what motivates this post is determining the truth behind that impression.

Thanks.

p.s. Would you agree that the per game variances is greater in Glass Road than Suburbia? In other words, both are games whose strength resides in the building you acquire, and both have availability pools that randomly drip different options into the game. Goes Glass Road's variability eclipse Suburbia in this regard? Not in the sense of sheer numbers, but in the variety of effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
Preamble: ...

Here is a blog post worth checking out. It is ostensibly about Glass Road, but several people compare the solo game to Suburbia in the comments.

http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/30340/bad-score-glass-road...

Fateswanderer's post gives a pretty definitive response to your inquiry.

fateswanderer wrote:
Solo Glass Road is still better than solo Suburbia though.

Just a singular view, but that's the most I can do (I sadly lack any personal experience on the matter).

Oh, and have I ever told you how devilishly handsome I imagine you are?

xoxo

- that guy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found Suburbia solo to be rather lacking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bodah
United States
Cambridge
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The campaign for the ipad Suburbia was brilliant. I'm surprised that hasn't been replicated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hiimjosh wrote:
The campaign for the ipad Suburbia was brilliant. I'm surprised that hasn't been replicated

Can you elaborate? Can it be replicated in the base (table top) game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both and tried them both solo (only once though). I'm not a big fan of Suburbia, I found it too dry for me. The theme had hard time holding on and the game was easily reduced to just a math problem. Glass Road is more thematic for me. You have a player board with forests, sand pits and buildings and personages that help develop your land.

However I also played Lewis & Clark (2-3 times) which I thought was even more interesting solo because it's a race, not beat-your-own-score. Right now, I'm also thinking of picking up Troyes which seems to have a really interesting solo variant with points and a virtual opponent to beat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
I have both games, but have never played them solo. Suburbia I've had for months and played 60+ times and got Glass Road a week ago and have played four times.

Seems to me that Glass Road would be more thinky as you have so many options and have to think about each of them. I guess it's a bit more tactical and Suburbia is more strategic.

I don't know, both really good games, get them both!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
I had suburbia and played it solo a few times.

Then sold it.

I kept glass road, and continue to play it.

I think it's a slightly deeper game with a lot more decisions, while still feeling light. It also plays in about twenty minutes. It's lighter the other Uwe titles, but probably a bit heavier than Suburbia. Theyre both good games, I just felt that Glass Road offered a bit more strategic options and had a slightly wider decision tree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ancestral Hamster
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While Glass Road is deeper multi-player, I found the randomness of solo play irritating. Pick cards, mix them up and you can only use three that you randomly draw. Put those aside (as you cannot select the same cards each round), then repeat with a new set of cards. Limited control and almost no planning involved. That is a level of randomness that does not exist in the multi-player game.

So for solo play, I prefer Suburbia. The random aspect is the same as the regular game so the game play experience is changed less drastically than with Glass Road.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Loe
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
hiimjosh wrote:

Can you elaborate? Can it be replicated in the base (table top) game?

The campaign mode is pretty great on the ipad, but it would be hard to implement on the tabletop, I think. On the ipad, you've got a bunch of different cities, each with a number of different goals. You get stars based on how well you fulfilled those goals. Additionally each city has a specific number of tiles removed--it would just be too fiddly to keep track of in the cardboard version. The fun of the campaign mode is unlocking the different cities and beating the harder levels.

I really feel like Glass Road may be the better choice for you. There are fewer resources in Suburbia, but when the tiles start interacting with each other, it can be hard to keep track of all the minute interactions. Glass Road is quicker and less fiddly, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
But how about Caverna: The Cave Farmers vs. Glass Road. I have a hard time deciding.....shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elida wrote:
But how about Caverna: The Cave Farmers vs. Glass Road. I have a hard time deciding.....shake

Haven't played Caverna, but from the press I've read (Rahdo, etc), Glass Road looks to have a better solo game as its impossible to solve. Glass Road injects a lot of randomness into the solo game -- not just the buildings, but also the action selection mechanic takes a turn for the unexpected too. You select X number of cards each round, ranging from 3 to 6 depending on the round, and randomly select X-1 cards to come out (shuffle and resolve the first, repeat until you have only two and then select only one of those remaining to resolve). It is fairly fun.

As you can see, I ended up purchasing Glass Road (and Suburbia, but I haven't gotten around to that solo game, and perhaps I never will). I'd recommend it, though its probably a lighter title than Caverna, all said and done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I ordered it! Though, I don`t think my enabler (i.e. my local seller) is too fond of me putting in yet another special order... Sorry, Spillskrinet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.