Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Prolegomena: How my strategy was formed

Like most of you, I spent some time reading and re-reading the various threads on BGG that I felt might give me some insight into how best to approach the Collective OP2 with a ship pure fleet.

The first time I read the scenario, I was concerned that the Borg Cube would be too powerful, and that unless my fleet took serious defensive measures, it wouldn't last long enough to do much. So I began toying with defensive builds. I thought if I could bring in a single ship that the Borg Cube's attacks wouldn't phase, I would probably out last my opponent's fleet, which I gleefully imagined being picked off to his horror, even as my own ship danced around untouched in the midst his envy and dismay.

As I thought more on the matter, I reasoned that with the boosters, the minimum number of ships on the field would be four, and more than likely, the average would be a six or seven ships. With each ship, the time spent on each turn understandably increases, and I reasoned that the Cube probably won't have enough time to destroy entire fleets - meaning, I realized that the image of me spending several swift turns emptying my cannons into the cube while my already defeated opponent watched on in horror, was probably not going to happen in any game, least of all mine.

On top of this, if I came in with a strong single ship, say a BioShip on a flagship, I may be throwing 7 or more dice each round, but the best I'd be doing would be #dice +2 damage - assuming every die is turned into a hit. So even if I were tossing ten dice a round every round for full damage, it would only be a dozen hits a round. A four ship fleet, tossing 3 or four dice a ship with target locks, would be doing about 17 hits a round on average given the propensity for crits, and the combined fire bonus. In fact 5 small ships, doing three or four dice would bring that number over 20 damage a round.

So I decided that more ships were better, in that most would last till time, and while they were alive, the fleet would be racking up some serious numbers.

My Build:

We were playing ship pure, so this was my fleet.

Interceptor 5 (Kira Nerys(4): Action: TL's for all within range) 19 SP
Cardassian Keldon Class (Sar (1): +1 defense die) 25 SP
Cardassian Keldon Class (Gul Evek (2): reroll one blank defense die) 26 SP
Hideki Fighters (Resource) 20 SP
Booster: USS Yeager (Shelby (2) for +1 Defense die, and reroll blanks w/Borg, and Photon Torpedoes (4))

Total 118 SP

Round 1

I played the first round against Dan S. I can't quite remember his fleet, I think he was playing the Klingon fleet - two Vor'cha's and a Negh'var, with Martok and Gowron, and I think he drew the Yeager as well. We flew on either side of the cube, tossing dice without any shenanigans. Dan managed 66 damage, while I managed 88 - it was a slower paced round, but I did manage the victory and the extra battle point.

Round 2

I played against Alan G. He was playing a fed fleet a Constitution class, fed fighters, a Nebula class, and an Intrepid class. He pulled a Yeager for this BB.

His strategy was to move to within range 2 and then use full astern on the three ships that could manage it, to hover there, while his opponent (me in this case) moved forward and took all the damage.

It was a good strategy, and I wish I had thought of it - though it depended, in part, on attrition to thin his opponent's fleet.

This was without a doubt, the most rushed round I have ever played. With ten ships in the play area, we managed to do close to a dozen rounds. Think that through. In the last fifteen minutes, Alan was concerned that I was stalling (that fact that we managed this many rounds with that many ships testifies to the fact that I wasn't), but anyone who has ever felt like victory is slipping away with each second on the clock knows where Alan was coming from. I did my best to oblige, but at one point my ships were in a tangle, and I had to actually think for a bit. It was no more than a minute, but I was feeling the pressure to just set my dials, by Alan's teetering and pressing me to hurry it up. When I had to ask for a ruling, Alan mentioned delaying the game - which was crazy talk, given that he was actually ahead in points by then, and I was by no means delaying the game - as the ruling only took about thirty seconds of anyone's time.

When the round finally ended (it seemed to go on and on) the final tally was 174 to 145 in Alan's favor. I was thankful that Alan won, as he seemed to really want the victory - certainly more than I did (I already won a raven from another venue and was just there to pick up another booster and have some fun). We laughed about the pace afterwards, and Alan was a little sorry to have pushed so hard - especially when it became obvious that it wasn't really necessary - but, like I said - we all know that feeling that victory is within our reach if we can just beat the clock!

Round 3

I played Tim for the last round. He was playing a Voyager and the Koranak (I think). He drew the Romulan Booster. This was a great match, we played casually, no stress, no worries, a nice pace. He came up one side, I went down the other - no tangles, no fuss. My dice were pretty hot, and in the end I managed a 165 over 90 or something like that.

I managed 8 points for the tournament - which isn't bad. I didn't win the OP, but I picked up another Raven as one of the fellowship prizes (Yay!)

Lessons learned:

I was right about having a larger fleet - and I Kira really made a difference, and those Keldon class ships pack some decent fire power for their cost (24 SP). Shooting 88, 145, 165 for the rounds (132 average) I can't complain about their efficacy.

What I would change for next time:

I think I wouldn't mind trying a fleet that hovers like that. I could have the interceptor 5 sweeping back and forth behind them for the round, giving everyone target locks, and I could probably manage four ship's thus...

I liked the OP, though in truth, I liked OP 3 more. Look for my OP 3 Bat Rep, coming soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent session report. The only big downside is that it wasn't Picture Pure enough.

This genre screams for its Session Reports to be accompanied by awesome pictures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Danvan wrote:
Round 2

I played against Alan G. He was playing a fed fleet a Constitution class, fed fighters, a Nebula class, and an Intrepid class. He pulled a Yeager for this BB.

Wait - Alan had a Sutherland, not fed fighters.

See what happens when you can't remember anything?

Apologies to Alan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done, Dan. I think I only averaged about 70 damage a game in my three games, yet I won every game - though every one was very close. I really wish that I had gone for a bigger fleet as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.