$35.00
Recommend
72 
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Case - The Ogilvie Curse rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Stevenson
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Maximus - Male - Evil - Half-Orc - Knight
badge
Green ooze gurgles in a barrel. Do you wish to dunk and search?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone. My wife and I are big fans of SH:CD and we've played through all ten scenarios. When we finished, my sister-in-law and her boyfriend were pretty bummed that it was over, so as a special treat, we decided to write a case for them and our other friends to try out. What we ended up with was "The Ogilvie Curse" which I'm releasing here for free.

We ran two play tests with different groups, both of which went well. The case should be on the same difficulty level as those included in the base game. To play, all you will need is the base game and a print out of the case book linked below. Beware that the outside and inside cover images may be ink heavy, but the rest shouldn't be too bad, so you can always leave those pages out if you want.

I can't promise that it is completely error free, but we did our best to remove typos, etc. If you disagree with the logic of the case, feel free to berate me here publicly.

To anybody who tries the case, good luck! We'd love some feedback.

Link to PDF on Dropbox: http://bit.ly/1yhaLld

- Tim (& Beth)
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Walker
United States
Chuluota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the hard work and for sharing.

Silly me, I took the easy way out and bought expansions.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent work! Is there a newspaper you have created for this case or do players just use the ones that come with the original game?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stevenson
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Maximus - Male - Evil - Half-Orc - Knight
badge
Green ooze gurgles in a barrel. Do you wish to dunk and search?
mbmbmbmbmb
whitescar wrote:
Excellent work! Is there a newspaper you have created for this case or do players just use the ones that come with the original game?


It uses the ones from the base game. For this case you will only use the first one.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Resist the Kakistocracy
United States
Innsmouth
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliantly done! Thanks for the contribution. Looks great, too!

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know how much work it is to create these as I have written and play-tested a few cases myself over the last 9 months, though am uncertain yet in what format I will release/publish them. I may follow your lead and post them on BGG, depending on how my discussions in other areas go. Do you know what the word count is for your case? I tend to find mine come in at around 9,000 to 12,000 words, and I'm wondering if that's high, low or average.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stevenson
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Maximus - Male - Evil - Half-Orc - Knight
badge
Green ooze gurgles in a barrel. Do you wish to dunk and search?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

For word count, MS Word tells me it is 23,105. Higher than yours Whitescar, but many of the entries are fairly dense, more-so than in the base game I feel. It took the two of us about two weeks to put together, but I was able to devote a good amount of time writing during that time.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah... looks Great!!!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Anquetil
France
Toulon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Look terrific ! Welcome to the SHDC writer Club.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beth
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, whitescar - I'm the co-author! That's pretty interesting about the word count; we hadn't thought about that aspect at all before you asked. But we did go through the cases that came with the base game and counted how many leads each one had. We figured if we came within spitting distance of that range, we'd be doing OK.
3 
 Thumb up
55.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tim and Beth,

We have just played it over the last couple of hours and very much enjoyed it. In difficulty terms I would rank it towards the easier end of the difficulty range in the official cases, though the fact we have played all base game cases and all expansions may have had an impact on our performance. I think that, as you say, the word count is high because many of the entries are quite dense, but that seems to work fine. I'll send you a PM describing the order of places we visited and with some more specific feedback.

The logic of the case overall works fine, as evidenced by the fact we could solve it, with the possible exception of two points which just didn't quite sit right with us, or where perhaps we missed something. The two points are:

SPOILERS (scroll over to reveal):
Why did Lester Ogilvie not know his sister-in-law's name? He received letters from her with a bottle of medicine but signed with the wrong name, wouldn't he have noticed? Even if her name hadn't been wrong, why did he take the medicine if his relationship with Anne wasn't good? Why did he never mention the medicine to Anne or Gordon or ask them about it, and how could the killer rely on him never mentioning it to them?

2. Why was Dr Saari's room so completely trashed? We thought perhaps to conceal the fact the femur was missing but the police would soon discover that anyway, and why would it be so important to keep the murder weapon secret? Then we thought it was because he was looking for the other notes he had sent to Dr Saari and which she would have used for blackmail, and he found them, but didn't think to look in her diary. That explanation seems to make sense but isn't mentioned anywhere in the solution.


SPOILER END

No major errors from what we could see (just two typos spotted, both in the intro, a missing possessive apostrophe for "Holmes' thoughts" at the end of first paragraph, and closing speechmarks for Holmes at the very end of the intro).

In conclusion, thanks for a couple of hours entertainment and mental workout, look forward to seeing more!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stevenson
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Maximus - Male - Evil - Half-Orc - Knight
badge
Green ooze gurgles in a barrel. Do you wish to dunk and search?
mbmbmbmbmb
whitescar wrote:
Hi Tim and Beth,

We have just played it over the last couple of hours and very much enjoyed it. In difficulty terms I would rank it towards the easier end of the difficulty range in the official cases, though the fact we have played all base game cases and all expansions may have had an impact on our performance. I think that, as you say, the word count is high because many of the entries are quite dense, but that seems to work fine. I'll send you a PM describing the order of places we visited and with some more specific feedback.

The logic of the case overall works fine, as evidenced by the fact we could solve it, with the possible exception of two points which just didn't quite sit right with us, or where perhaps we missed something. The two points are:

SPOILERS (scroll over to reveal):
Why did Lester Ogilvie not know his sister-in-law's name? He received letters from her with a bottle of medicine but signed with the wrong name, wouldn't he have noticed? Even if her name hadn't been wrong, why did he take the medicine if his relationship with Anne wasn't good? Why did he never mention the medicine to Anne or Gordon or ask them about it, and how could the killer rely on him never mentioning it to them?

2. Why was Dr Saari's room so completely trashed? We thought perhaps to conceal the fact the femur was missing but the police would soon discover that anyway, and why would it be so important to keep the murder weapon secret? Then we thought it was because he was looking for the other notes he had sent to Dr Saari and which she would have used for blackmail, and he found them, but didn't think to look in her diary. That explanation seems to make sense but isn't mentioned anywhere in the solution.


SPOILER END

No major errors from what we could see (just two typos spotted, both in the intro, a missing possessive apostrophe for "Holmes' thoughts" at the end of first paragraph, and closing speechmarks for Holmes at the very end of the intro).

In conclusion, thanks for a couple of hours entertainment and mental workout, look forward to seeing more!


Great feedback whitescar! We had no idea anybody would get to trying it out so soon. Thanks so much for playing it - we're thrilled that your group enjoyed it. Really good questions as well. Here was our thinking on them:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
We figured that Lester was so self absorbed that he didn't even notice the mis-spelling of Anne's name. He wouldn't have minded taking the medicine as his relationships with almost everyone was terrible, but he wasn't above taking advantage of people when it suited him. It would be relatively easy to address those ideas with a couple of lines here and there. Why he never mentioned it to Gordon or Anne is a tougher one. Maybe he didn't want to make a big deal about it - and he certainly wouldn't want to thank her. Another possibility is we could have Gordon say something like how Lester mentioned it to him and Gordon didn't know what he was talking about. He was going to mention it to Anne, but it slipped his mind.


Spoiler (click to reveal)
For Dr. Saari's place, we figured all the damage took place in the struggle, but now that you mention it, I really like the idea that Hodge was looking for the notes. We'll probably add that in to Holmes' synopsis.


Your PM was also super valuable and I will respond to it further soon. Thanks again!

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad B
msg tools
mbmbmb
I just played the case with my group and we thought it was extremely well done. I hope that you'll continue to make more cases.

I was especially impressed because the quality of the illustrations were on par with the official game.

I'll write up a list of leads we followed with some additional feedback / thoughts and PM it to you.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stevenson
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Maximus - Male - Evil - Half-Orc - Knight
badge
Green ooze gurgles in a barrel. Do you wish to dunk and search?
mbmbmbmbmb
Brad, thanks so much for trying our case - we're so glad that people seem to be enjoying it, and we love hearing the different approaches to figuring it all out. Your feedback will be invaluable in tweaking our final version. We're working on our second case now, and reading how people took on this one is really helping a lot in writing the new one.

We also want to thank Joe Casadonte for his extremely generous Geek Gold contribution!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmad Siddiqi
Pakistan
Lahore
flag msg tools
Thanks, Tim & Beth! We're coming to the end of the last SHCD we were able to get hold of (West End Adventures - also played the original and Mansion Murders) and my wife has commented on that at least a dozen times in the last couple of months. I'm sure we'll very much enjoy trying out your case
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmad Siddiqi
Pakistan
Lahore
flag msg tools
whitescar wrote:
I know how much work it is to create these as I have written and play-tested a few cases myself over the last 9 months, though am uncertain yet in what format I will release/publish them. I may follow your lead and post them on BGG, depending on how my discussions in other areas go. Do you know what the word count is for your case? I tend to find mine come in at around 9,000 to 12,000 words, and I'm wondering if that's high, low or average.


Whitescar, I hope you do post them here Or otherwise make them accessible.

And Sada, who else is in this club? I'd like to see their work
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stevenson
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Maximus - Male - Evil - Half-Orc - Knight
badge
Green ooze gurgles in a barrel. Do you wish to dunk and search?
mbmbmbmbmb
ahmadms wrote:
Thanks, Tim & Beth! We're coming to the end of the last SHCD we were able to get hold of (West End Adventures - also played the original and Mansion Murders) and my wife has commented on that at least a dozen times in the last couple of months. I'm sure we'll very much enjoy trying out your case


Please enjoy and let us know what you think after you play it!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Airborne XO
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks tim and Beth misusing the work laser printer so we can play this next week :)

Cheers, Hal
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Grey
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks really swell! Excellent job presentation-wise. Any plans for further updates to your case with changes at this point?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stevenson
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Maximus - Male - Evil - Half-Orc - Knight
badge
Green ooze gurgles in a barrel. Do you wish to dunk and search?
mbmbmbmbmb
Dranore wrote:
This looks really swell! Excellent job presentation-wise. Any plans for further updates to your case with changes at this point?


Thanks Clayton! At this point, we are waiting for a couple more groups to play it and give us some feedback before we make any changes. If you try it out, please let us know how it goes.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Anquetil
France
Toulon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ahmadms wrote:
And Sada, who else is in this club? I'd like to see their work


I record a pod-cast and write an article on this subject :

http://podcast.proxi-jeux.fr/2014/11/sherlock-holmes-detecti...

All French official and fans cases are listed with direct links (In French). Enjoy !

@Tim I did mention your case.

If I forgot a fan-case, tell me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jude Melon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
wwalker98 wrote:
Thanks for the hard work and for sharing.

Silly me, I took the easy way out and bought expansions.


Expansions?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niclas Willberg
Finland
Vaasa
flag msg tools
The moon bearing the image of the desert kangaroo mouse, Muad'dib.
badge
The planet Arrakis, known as Dune.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played through the case, I must say that it is extremely well written!

We really hope that you'll have inspiration to continue writing cases!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stevenson
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Maximus - Male - Evil - Half-Orc - Knight
badge
Green ooze gurgles in a barrel. Do you wish to dunk and search?
mbmbmbmbmb
xSuperioRx wrote:
Just played through the case, I must say that it is extremely well written!

We really hope that you'll have inspiration to continue writing cases!


Thanks so much Niclas! It always makes us happy to hear people have enjoyed it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Mao
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife ported the Ogilvie curse onto my website, so you can now play a version of this case online!

http://mistery.io/scenarios/14

Scroll down to the bottom and click Play This Scenario.

When you're finished talking to people, in the left hand side bar, you can click Solve The Mystery to finish.

There's also an introductory case my wife made to teach you how to use the site

http://mistery.io/scenarios/8

Thanks Tim for making an awesome case and for letting us port it!
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.