Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there:

Before I start with my review I want to clear the field – so to say. I was contacted by e-Raptor and asked if I like their products and want to review the ones I own. In no way did I receive anything from them for this review (I bought the Dice Tower (DT for short from now on) at my local FLGS) nor did they get this review in advance for „approval“ or anything else.

Being asked for a review is no problem for me personally and I hope that this is not a problem for you either - IMHO as long as one knows the whole story.

So, let's start:

I love Dice Towers – yes, I do.

As soon as you experience someone throwing the dice over the whole (wargame-) map with stacks and stacks of counters lined up … you know what I mean. Only a cat can do more mayhem to a game. So you prefer some confinement for the die-rollin’ enthusiast.

Over the years I acquired a few DTs – my most valuable is the one that my wife handmade for me and painted with the artwork of Wilderness War.

When I want to go to a Con and have packed the games I wanted to take with me in one of the storage - boxes I own I usually come to the point where the games and dice are safely stored and I want to pack a Dice Tower. And usually it won't fit because it is solid and not transportable.

So I was looking for some DTs that can be easy assembled and taken down and do look good. There are some made of plastic (and I own one of these too) but I prefer something that is a bit more than "just" usuable.

While I was looking at my FLGS web-page I saw an announcement of the Castle DT (I’m sure it was called “Cathedral” when I first saw it but I might be wrong here). It wasn't just a blank DT , no, it was a good looking one. It comes in a flat envelope – like package and has 9 parts (as you can see on the photo below). The DT is made of wood, 26 cm high, and looks as if it is laser – cut (and yes, it has the smell in the beginning).

It is easy to set up and after two or three times setting it up and taking it down one gets accustomed about how to slip the pieces into one another without forcing them in some awkward position. The edges are smooth but once in a while there is a small splinter coming off if the tower is not handled with the usual care. This might be avoided if the wood would be thicker but then the whole thing will be heavier and it might become unhandy.

To give you a full understanding about the height of the tower I put a Zombicide zombie beside it. The tower is larger than the usual „transportable“ DT. But given the theme IMHo it has too – would be strange if it were just a tiny little DT.

One thing can be problematic for some players. The whole tower is made of wood – that means even the randomizer are wood – and only wood. Some players prefer the clack – clack of the dice while others, especially when a lot of dice are rolled – feel that the constant noise is too much. It is easy to solve this problem with some piece of felt, faux - leather or tissue that can be glued on top of the randomizer. One should put the randomizer in the appropriate place, mark the edges with a pencil and cut out a piece of the desired material (just make sure it is not too thick) – and voila – the clack-clack is gone while the DT is still functional.

Summary: A good, solid Dice Tower, great design, fast to set-up and a bit of an eye-candy.

e-Raptor has other designs too – you might look at the Steam Punk (former “Clockwork” – Tower if I’m right) or the Dragon (beautiful one, especially the green one) but you can get a small standard DT too if you prefer.

Great to see that it’s a Polish company selling these Dice Towers. And they seem to have some distributors over in the States which I’m really glad about - I don't like seeing something fancy and then find out that shipping costs me more than what I ordered.

So if you want to get your first / second / third / umpteen DT have a look at their webpage.

But be forewarned: They have other nice stuff too concerning card-holders, storage boxes and organizers which I might review in the future.

Until then….
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hebert
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb