Subject: Episode 63: The Simpsons: Don't Panic rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Michaud
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A board game about the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant? That's unpossible! This week we're diving into The Simpsons: Don't Panic...a game of spinning donuts and silly mayhem based on one of the longest running animated series of all time. Players compete in a series of crazy stunts in 60 second bursts as they race to collect enough pieces of junk to stop the reactor from melting down and, presumably, ending civilization. Does this game contain enough zany fun to make us say "Ay caramba," or will we be left eating our shorts? Plus, in this week's Battle of Wits, we'll find out who is the S-M-R-T-est about Simpson's merchandise...

http://tableflipsyou.blogspot.com/2014/09/episode-63-simpson...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was so hopping for some Simpsons standees to use in Simpsons BSG. Pro Tip: Maggie's always a cylon.

I'm a Simpsons fan and that made this episode extra fun to listen to. Do you guys have any other Simpsons games in the backlog? One of them has to be good, right?

Thanks, guys, for another great episode!

P.S.: Awesome outro!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Metz
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quility show as always, guys. Keep it up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I felt the need to purchase a geek badge to clear up any questions about my name and possible status as a Texas Ranger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Michaud
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope your 10,000 Points will help ease the pain a bit! Thanks (and apologies)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After 20 years or so, you get used to it. I even made the joke of suggesting we name our son "Texas Ranger" so he would show up on a roster or official document as "Walker, Texas Ranger."

Even I am not immune.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bowers
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just listened to the show and you mentioned that if anyone had played the Simpsons trading card game to let you know. It comes from the time when Wizards of the Coast was making a TCG about everything.

I have had the horror of playing that game, what can I say I got a box and starters for like $10 a few years ago at gen con.

You have locations with different traits and a break point of number of characters with those traits or without those traits. Players take turns playing cards to the locations until on has enough characters and then it scores. The game is super simple and pretty boring in terms of game play. But there is a lot of jokes about card games on the cards.

The game clearly didn't sell well as there is only 1 set. If you like playing terrible games for fun it would worth checking out, but otherwise I would suggest everyone stays far far away from it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenden Johnson
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did some research into the crazy priced Dream Theater album.

According to wikipedia the original album cover took a cue from a previous album cover, specifically the flaming/sacred heart.

Since the album was recorded in New York, they changed the heart to an apple and added the New York skyline, including a couple of iconic buildings.

Well, as it turns out this album was originally released on Sept 11, 2001 and they thought that the imagine of a burning New York skyline, including the now gone Twin Towers, was probably not the best idea. So they re-released it with a new cover.

Now the first edition is a bit of a collectors item. I still can't explain the Simpson's t-shirt.

Now you know, and knowing is how you know stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms Dew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gentlegiant303 wrote:
Just listened to the show and you mentioned that if anyone had played the Simpsons trading card game to let you know. It comes from the time when Wizards of the Coast was making a TCG about everything.

I have had the horror of playing that game, what can I say I got a box and starters for like $10 a few years ago at gen con.

You have locations with different traits and a break point of number of characters with those traits or without those traits. Players take turns playing cards to the locations until on has enough characters and then it scores. The game is super simple and pretty boring in terms of game play. But there is a lot of jokes about card games on the cards.

The game clearly didn't sell well as there is only 1 set. If you like playing terrible games for fun it would worth checking out, but otherwise I would suggest everyone stays far far away from it.

A year or so ago they had huge batches of them at Five Below stores here in Massachusetts. I bought two different themed starter decks for my sister and I. Only remember that the game play pretty much sucked. Graphics on the cards might be worthy of some craft project down the line. Ultimately, i wouldn't even call it thrift worthy it given the chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Michaud
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow; this thread got downright informative!

Thanks for the clarification on the Dream Theater thing...that makes much, much more sense. Except for the Simpsons T-Shirt part, of course.

Also glad for some reports on the Simpsons CCG. If I see it in the wild for a ludicrously small price, I might grab a pack or two out of morbid curiosity...that said, I consider myself sufficiently warned!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Voge III
United States
Gwynn Oak
Maryland
flag msg tools
Check out my podcast at www.thepartygamecast.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so I used to play Simpsons Trading Card Game. I would say it is very much like Smash Up if Smash Up were a collectible game, and the bases were part of your deck.

You had a deck with characters that each had certain qualities like "animal" or "kind" and you had actions and bases (locations), you would play locations and both sides would place characters on the bases, once a base got whatever the correct number of characters was to reach its limit, the person who put the most on that location, scored points, once you got to a certain amount of points you won. Each deck had a main character that was one of the Simpsons (except Marge) or Mr. Burns.

If you read the cards, they were amusing, things like the Crusty card I think was signed, with Crusty assuring you it was both a real signature, and collectible.

All I can remember is Lisa had a power set up with Animals, you could usually play one card per turn, but Lisa had some card that could let her play every animal from her discard, so as soon as you could get enough animals in the discard, and could get her power card, you won the game.

So there ya go!

Edit: just realized this is more or less posted above, but I have decided not to delete this because I have already typed it out. Also this is the only other time in my life knowing the Lisa power card combo will ever mean anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.