Shadowrun: Crossfire» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Victory is finally mine! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Smart

Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing 2 Crossfire missions to the midway point of the 3rd and final scene before having to successfully abort them (one I had bad luck and the other I just couldn't pull it off mainly due to the Black Market being lacking in higher power cards), I started up today intending to get to that magical 5 Karma to grab an upgrade for everyone. Boy did I get smacked around for 2 games. One thing about this game, you know pretty quickly if you are going to fail miserably. I didn't make it out of the 2nd scene either time though I successfully aborted both times.

Being 1 Karma short, I pressed on. Where I got smacked around early, this time was different. 1st scene down with only 1 Crossfire card in the discard. 2nd scene done with only 2 cards in the Crossfire discard with 2 Katanas for the SS, and the Mage managed to pick up her 2nd Lightning Bolt. Of course the game would strike back, as the Obstacle that forces all non-humans to discard and redraw their hand flipped up first. However, lady luck was with the Elf Mage as she had an empty deck, and you bet she drew BOTH Lightning Bolts! My Face Dwarf was still concerned as he had just lost the heal card that was going to be sorely needed.

Thankfully, just 1 other Hard Obstacle was drawn, and the Normal Obstacles had nothing bad or looked too difficult to kill. Lady Luck shone down again as the Crossfire card (the Mage was the 4th player and had ended the 2nd scene) was the one that let's you pick a player to draw the top card of the Black Market in exchange for a Normal Obstacle. Trading a 3rd Obstacle facing the fully healthy Orc Decker for Covering Fire is pretty darn good, especially when the Obstacle is a 4-step, 1 damage one. Oh, did I forget to mention that the Human Street Samarai had the Roomsweeper AND a Katana in hand. Yeah, those 3 Obstacles in front of the Orc got blown up while the Covering Fire prevented him from dropping to 1 health. The Face and Decker both damaged some Obstacles, setting things up for the Mage. She took out her Hard Obstacle with both Lightning Bolts keeping her alive. With great trepidation, I flip the, hopefully, last Crossfire card, and it is just one of those that buffs a certain type/color of Obstacle. With just 2 Obstacles left, I had no problems finishing them off that round. My Face even managed to have drawn one of the 2 Doc Wagons so he didn't become Staggered before the Decker finished off the last 2 Obstacles to win the game.

So, I went from 4 Karma all the way up to 7. I poured over the 5 point Upgrades. One was a simple choice as the Dwarf Face really needs that 3rd starting card, though that may get upgraded to the 10 point one that lets him buy a card at the start of the game. Most people would be screaming that the Elf Mage getting boosted to 5 starting health was an even easier call, but here's the thing. She's gotten Staggered ONCE in 5 games. Now, she went Critical at that point, and that's probably because I kept getting the Whips for my Human Street Samurai causing her to get Staggered a lot, along with being too focused on keeping the Elf alive. I went ahead and gave both of them the +1 Starting Health upgrade while I gave the Orc Decker a 2nd starting Nuyen.

Now, I get to find out if this was just lightning (literally) in a bottle.cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tjarks
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sitting at five Karma on two characters (been playing two handed Crossfire). First five games resulted in 2 aborts, 1 win, two losses. Sadly, my attempts to get to ten or fifteen karma have resulted in six more outright losses. Its rough, but I'm not down on the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Rohrer
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
visit my blog at http://www.alittlelatetothetable.blogspot.com/
badge
“The way a man plays a game shows some of his character. The way he loses shows all of it."
mbmbmbmbmb
congrats on the win! i have this game coming to me next week and i can't wait to break it open! good luck in your future matches! ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Metsänoja
Finland
flag msg tools
kysmart wrote:
with only 2 cards in the Crossfire discard

Thankfully, just 1 other Hard Obstacle was drawn, and the Normal Obstacles had nothing bad or looked too difficult to kill.
Not to burst your bubble, but with two cards in the Crossfire deck, you are supposed to draw 2 hard obstacles... Not that it would have flunked the run, but I think you played it wrong.

It's not like this game is easy to beat and there are some quite harsh obstacles in the easy deck and some quite soft in the hard deck, so it may not have made any difference.

The point is, the WIN is rewarding. You don't feel like going through the motions when you play this game. You are on the edge of your seat all run long. Which is more than great!

Cheers on the win though... With the 5 point upgrades, it does get a little easier, but not by that much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smart

Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You missed the part where is said "1 OTHER" so yes, there were 2 Hard Obstacles drawn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls