Rise of the Kage» Forums » General

Subject: 4th Board!!! Have Your Say rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bushido GCT Studios
England
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ok we want you to be involved in this, heck you guys are making this happen over on the Kickstarter.

Here's what we are going to do, add all your ideas here, let us know what part of Ryu you would like to see in the 4th board. Have a read of Nido Yoki-Tabi's travel journals first http://www.bushido-thegame.com/sites/default/files/users/Stu... and then fire away...

(only restriction being it will be part of Ryu)

Once we have had a look at all your ideas we'll let you know which path we will follow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon

Arizona
msg tools
I guess I will start it off Samurai district with perhaps a tea house or dojo.

Would love to add some 3d cherry trees personally but could look good in 2d

Warfaror
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Dow
Australia
Belmont
Victoria
flag msg tools
Interesting description of the city. Trying to think of a location that would be interesting enough to justify Ninja missions against guards.

The lower levels outside of gates are where the slums are could make for an interesting tangle of narrow lanes and rooms, but the text says that guards dare to tread there.

You could have a map of the sewers, but having a good variety of missions would be difficult for replay ability.

We have the Artisans and the Docks already and the level below the docks where the food sellers are would be similar to the Artisans map.

Higher up we have the Samurai district, we already have a mansion with the first map, but a detailed ornamental garden would definitely be a place to steal, kidnap or assassinate a victim, it could also be designed to abut the mansion map to create a double map for a larger game. This would be my preference as it gives us something different to what we already have.ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Messerly
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
1. The dragons gate could be an interesting encounter especially if you linked maps together in a scenario. So maybe your first mission is to assassinate a lord in the mansion and the next mission is to sneak out of the dragons gate while the city is on high alert. Breaking into or sneaking thru such an imposing defensive structure sounds epic...

2. Decorative guardens... A run down rock/bamboo garden with an ancient temple in the older sections of the city could be an great location for an ambush. Two lords are meeting here to make secret deal, a hostage is being exchanged here, or you are trying to drive off an evil spirit inhabiting the temple.

3. Bath house/hot springs in samurai district. This offers a chance for very different layouts from the mansion and a new non-guard threat type. Blathers would scream if they see you, making noise and alerting guards, but they wouldn't attack you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The slums might be fun, but why would they be full of guards...?
A bridge/gate/waterwheel map might be fun. With some potentialy hazardous areas... Getting pushed into waterwheels or off a bridge might be lethal...
A garden or temple grounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KB13 KB13
msg tools
As I already posted in the Kickstarter comment, I also would like to see an outdoor board based on a garden or park. The central part of the board being a large garden with statues, a small shrine, some walls to break LOS. A combination of a small creek or pond and some bridges to create entry points.
Mayby parts of building on the edges of the board, or several shrines etc on the board to place the objectives on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Lillo
Italy
Battipaglia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering that we already have the docks. the mansion and the merchant district, I'd opt for either a temple with its garden premises or a geisha house.

Both settings could provide different challenges for the ninjas than just the guards, like civilians walking around or having to find cover in the open.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Russell
msg tools
I'd like to see an evil temple style board. Maybe a warehouse or underground location with a shrine to yurei
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bushido GCT Studios
England
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey guys some great ideas here, great stuff so far.

Michael you may be describing a future expansion whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Uitz
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also like the idea of an outdoor map.

What about a setting where a massive guard force assaults the ninja village and they are forced to defend themselves?

To balance the battle strength it should be allowed to have more ninjas out or bring them in as reinforcements in later game turns. Two or three ninjas would then have the almost impossible task to slow down the assaulters before the reinforcements arrive to turn the tide of battle.

Dark.

PS: still waiting for rules before I step in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Chavez Weyand
msg tools
Torn between something round about the Dragon Gates, the Pleasure District and the Samurai District blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Horsley

Hessle
msg tools
The tricky thing is a map which can be used for many scenarios, offering shady stealth areas and open spaces- Ninja wouldn't attack a wide open space, and Guards wouldn't patrol a labyrinth slum.

I would like a see a Prison/Armoury Guard Outpost- I think it covers many variations;

You can have maybe three or so Prison Cells, allowing rescue or escape missions, or silencing an informant etc.

An area with weaponry (store)- allowing for weapons theft/sabotage or a good point for guard reinforcements. Also prototype weapons could be stored there that the ninja want to get their hands on.

A safe/vault, holding Gold for thefts, or sensitive documents like battle tactics or agreements- all very interesting to the Ninja!

An open Training/execution ground- gives the guards the open space and missions such as rescues or escapes could be done here.

A small barracks for the guard player to draw reinforcements, or to have high ranking visiting officials for assassinations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shadow

Byram
New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Outdoor setting, snow theme complete with tea house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Horsley

Hessle
msg tools
I also like the idea of a Warehouse, Sake factory or Pleasure district building(s).

But I wonder if maybe these would be better waiting for a Silvermoon Syndicate Expansion pack?

You could have new "Guards" as gangsters, and new bosses, shifting away from official Ryu Guardsmen and to shifty underworld types. It Would also allow use of the existing boards as the houses of High ranking Silvermoon members, trading streets and smuggling operations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bushido GCT Studios
England
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey guys,

Really appreciating all the ideas, got some crackers in here.

Keep them coming
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
weyly S Buntenbach
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
a sake factory and a guard house
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon

Arizona
msg tools
The samurai distinct could have samurai houses but also include some of those themes. Statues or burial grounds, zen gardens, torii gates and walls.

Also the Dojo or training grounds could have the hidden weapons stash the ninjas can upgrade their weapon cards before the final push to the castle mansion.

You can see a thread of a campaign whether official or not - can play scenarios that build on each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Horsley

Hessle
msg tools
Hmmm, as much as I do like the idea of a shrine I worry that with the original game being directed as Ninja vs Ryu, we should focus on more military or government buildings. A shrine would require Shrine-y people. What are they called??.. oh yeah, monks... and that would need monk-y models and bosses etc. Maybe another expansion pack?

A dojo or training ground has plenty of potential for scenarios, but for practical mapping, a dojo is pretty much one or two large rooms (unless you have it as a training school etc- suppose that's an option..)If we were o consider this option I think you'd have to go into training ground AND armoury to get enough variation into the map.

I'm also a little concerned that he idea of detailed statues and elaborate Gates would lose some of their impact considering this is going to be a 2D board- they would certainly be good in Bushido the game, but maybe not for Rise of the Kage.

Ha,
So far I've detailed got two expansion packs and have designed new models and boards in three posts. Not bad for the first page of a forum..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Blackburn

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lot of good ideas. I like the idea of a tea house, an outdoor area, or a temple/shrine. Hopefully, the temple would include both a garden (maybe even with a water feature like a small pond with a bridge).

But I'd like to suggest an inn. It would allow for several scenarios (ninjas rescue hostage or reach a contact, steal something, assassinate a guest, or are assaulted in a safe house).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
For nostalgic reasons, how about a board that is a walled up merchant's compound, with some store/ware houses, a small main house and a garden...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Vandorffy
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
Theme-wise my favorite idea is the temple. It could be the family/clan temple of the Dragon Clan (rulers of Ryu). Temple grounds with a small shrine in the middle of formal gardens with streams, and community buildings, and small cells for the attending monks, or dignitaries on a journey of penitence, or preparing to perform an important ritual.

Mechanics-wise it is harder to suggest something as we do not have good pictures of the current maps. The mansion seems to be a complex building with larger rooms, the artisan districts has straight wide lanes, the port has open areas, a walled compound (?), and of course the pier and the island (?) beyond. So a small building in the middle of a more open area, but restricted by streams, or shrubs, etc, and a warren of small cells, and narrow corridors might be something new.

I hope we will have special fixed/historical missions to go with the maps! The random, secret mission mechanics is great but I love missions recreating events from the storyline.

Finally, I wouldn't put it up for a vote. Ask the designer to look through here, but let him decide!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Vandorffy
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
Are there different terrain squares? Something like rough terrain which requires more movement points to cross, or "noisy" terrain which requires more movement points to cross SILENTLY.

We probably have uncrossable terrain: the water in the port map.

A temple map, or anything with gardens might be a good place to introduce such terrain. Streams, shrubs, gravel, ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Uitz
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Are there different terrain squares? Something like rough terrain which requires more movement points to cross, or "noisy" terrain which requires more movement points to cross SILENTLY.

+1 to the terrain idea. Shall the ninjas take the shortcut through the gravel at an increased risk to cause noise or the safer but longer route?

Dark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Horsley

Hessle
msg tools
I hope there are different terrain types, it would add an extra challenge.

Technically this isn't a 4th game board suggestion, but GCT do read these so I thought I'd suggest Doors. Looking at the RotK video on Kickstarter, it seems the doors included are the paper shogo type.

I would suggest a heavy iron door as well- these did exist in Japan around the time and would make more sense in sensitive gaming areas. They could be harder (or impossible) to open stealthily. Also they could be LOCKED, meaning the key would need to be "liberated" first.

You could also then bring in a new ninja equipment card of lockpicks.

I would also design a heavy Iron chest, subject to the same locking rules as above, for objectives like thefts.

I suggest this as it would (imo) improve the game and add challenge, but also to make this GCT would only need to create a few more cards and tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Horsley

Hessle
msg tools
Oh and 4th Map suggestions;

How about a Mine? It depends on whether Ryu have these in the city, and how they get their funding. But a gold mine etc would justify a guard presence, and a legitimate target for Ninja.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |