Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: About the future of War of the Ring line rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alessandro Coli
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I remember having read somewhere that Ares has huge plans about the future of War of the ring line, but now cant find anymore the articles I found.

So are they going to release other expansions for the main game, like Lords of Middle Earth was? How many, and which kind of expansions?

Also... are they going to further expand the VIP LOTR battles in stand-alone games? I mean: after the Battle of Five Armies, shall we expect a third self-contained big box for Helm Deep, and a fourth self-contained big box for the Fields of Pelennor? And maybe something about the War of the last Alliance and the defeat of Sauron, or about the battles at Fornost, and Carn Dum? Or something about the White council in Dol Guldur? I surely hope so!!!!

If some of you guys - or even game designers themselves - want to clarify whats known at the time, that'd be beautiful
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn von Knorring
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
The picture is a swedish cartoon-figure Herman Hedning. English info here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Hedning
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ares games license only covers the Third age though so any games has to take part in that Era. Which unfortunately rules out the Last alliance-battle:-(
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding plans for War of the Ring, see http://www.aresgames.eu/4398:

Quote:
All things considered, the solution came quickly enough. We should not design one big, all-encompassing expansion, like Battles of the Third Age was, but a series of somewhat smaller thematic expansions. In each expansion, we could look at what we had done in Battles of the Third Age, but expand it further, so that we could include gradually all the protagonists that we missed in the original game.

Analyzing Battles of the Third Age, we saw clearly that what we designed then was three different set of elements – Characters, Factions, Siege Engines. The direction was now clear – we should design three expansions, and the first of them should revolve around characters.

So, the seed of Lords of Middle-earth was planted…
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rafamir wrote:
Regarding plans for War of the Ring, see http://www.aresgames.eu/4398:

Quote:
All things considered, the solution came quickly enough. We should not design one big, all-encompassing expansion, like Battles of the Third Age was, but a series of somewhat smaller thematic expansions. In each expansion, we could look at what we had done in Battles of the Third Age, but expand it further, so that we could include gradually all the protagonists that we missed in the original game.

Analyzing Battles of the Third Age, we saw clearly that what we designed then was three different set of elements – Characters, Factions, Siege Engines. The direction was now clear – we should design three expansions, and the first of them should revolve around characters.

So, the seed of Lords of Middle-earth was planted…

Problem with this is that it's a two years old post. These things change really rapidly
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kooky Kooks
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A few months ago I have asked Aresgames about news on the next WotR expansions and got this answer:

"Dear ...,

thank you for your interest in our game, soon we will have news on this, please check our site from time to time.
Thank you
best regards"

We'll just have to wait and see.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
Problem with this is that it's a two years old post. These things change really rapidly
As with the announcement today of an Ares expansion to Age of Conan, sometimes there's no news until there is news. The fact that there's already a box mock-up suggests to me this has been brewing quietly for some time.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tequi
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
On the Kickstarter of the Conan Expansion, ARES revealed some information about an upcoming second expansion, called "Warriors of Middle Earth", which will come in 2015.
Here is the quote:
Quote:
@Tequi - Warriors of Middle-earth builds upon the "Faction" system present in Battles of the Third Age. We will include more detailed rules and varied effects for the Dunlendings, Corsairs and Ents (already present in BoTTA), but we also add three more factions - Eagles, Spiders and Dead Men of Dunharrow (so there is a balanced total of 3 factions on each side).
I am very happy with that news!
21 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
@Tequi - Warriors of Middle-earth builds upon the "Faction" system present in Battles of the Third Age. We will include more detailed rules and varied effects for the Dunlendings, Corsairs and Ents (already present in BoTTA), but we also add three more factions - Eagles, Spiders and Dead Men of Dunharrow (so there is a balanced total of 3 factions on each side).
Really great news!! sauron
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob W
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DEAD MEN OF DUNHARROW!!! YESSSSSSS!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave de Vil
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
I wants Hobbit militia, and a battle of Bywater board.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shiloh Christie
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
This is great news! Coming later this year? Any chance we see a second edition of Battles of the Third Age with Gondor and Rohan mini-scenarios?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls