Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Garfield
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I recently posted a question on the King of Tokyo forum to help me understand the way King of Tokyo was played - I was so informed by the responses I thought I would go back to the well and ask a question about RoboRally, since I have been thinking about it.

First some background: I have played RoboRally very little in the last ten years - when I do I really enjoy it but I am bothered by some design issues as only the designer can be. Recently I thought seriously about how I would redesign it given 20 additional years of experience. I came up with a new design I really like. To summarize the effects of the changes - the game plays faster, has less downtime, is a bit crazier, and has more option card influx.

So now the hard part: getting Wizards to even acknowledge the idea - I told them I am willing to license it, have them publish it, or buy back the rights. The only excuse that is reasonable for not finding a solution among those three options is that they have plans of their own and don't like where my version goes. I doubt this - I think it is just unimportant enough that they don't have time to really consider it.

So my questions:
Poll
If RoboRally Rebooted were available would you be interested:
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
No - I never liked RR or I outgrew it and a reboot won't change that
1.9% 25
No - Don't mess with a great game
1.7% 23
Maybe
20.5% 272
Yes
75.9% 1010
Voters 1330
If I had to make RoboRally Rebooted with different flavor and presented as a different game because Wizards wouldn't work with me which of the following applies to you: 
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Doesn't Matter - not interested in any case
2.6% 35
Any Roborally-like game with a different theme would irritate me
4.6% 61
I am OK with it if the flavor is close (Robots in a different environment perhaps)
25.7% 341
I am OK with it if the flavor is not too close (Pirate Ships or Destruction Derby for example)
6.8% 90
I am OK with whatever you have to do to get the design out
60.3% 799
Voters 1326
This poll is now closed.   1335 answers
Poll created by Phelddagrif
Closes: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:00 am

• [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm personally a fan of retheming even if you could use the original name and theme. If you're rethinking a few of the fundamental concepts of the game, there may well be an alternate theme that allows you to incorporate new concepts, while still keeping pretty much everything that appealed to players of the original game. And new games often don't need to seek to replace or supplant the original game; they can complement them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm buying the rebooted game, right here, right now, you name the price! One of my favorite games ever (next to Netrunner, *tsk*, *tsk*)

But my condition is - it still has to have adorable robots in the factory. The theme is partially what made this game so great for me. Don't care about the name, but theme is important. Twonky FTW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll admit that, when I first saw the title of the thread in my subscriptions, my first thought was Hell No! Then, when I clicked through and saw the author of the post, I immediately thought Hell Yes!

But I wish you wouldn't think of it as fixing Roborally. The only thing about that amazing game that needs to be fixed is the unavailablility of the expansions. A new, similar game would be great, but please let them coexist.

Thanks for posting here, Mr. Garfield.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Lopuszanski
United States
Windham
Connecticut
flag msg tools
So hear me roar! RAWR! (Or ask me about it)
badge
Her Serenity, The Lady of Pain.
mbmbmbmbmb
Different theme would be fine. I mean, the robot theme feels only there due to the programming nature of the game and the weapons. It could easily be re-themed and still work.

As long as the game has better design than RoboRally (which doesn't seem hard considering the advances game design has come since it has been published), I'd look forward to it. Probably wouldn't buy a copy myself, but would definitely be willing to try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Eight ball, corner pocket
mbmbmbmbmb
KenToad wrote:
I'll admit that, when I first saw the title of the thread in my subscriptions, my first thought was Hell No! Then, when I clicked through and saw the author of the post, I immediately thought Hell Yes!

But I wish you wouldn't think of it as fixing Roborally. The only thing about that amazing game that needs to be fixed is the unavailablility of the expansions. A new, similar game would be great, but please let them coexist.

Thanks for posting here, Mr. Garfield.

Seconded, on all counts. I just have the original base game, and it does not get to the table enough, but I always enjoy it when it does. I never even knew about the expansions until they were very scarce, and have never seen them.

I would almost prefer that the theme change a bit, so that I could decide to get a game that has a similar mechanic to Roborally - but different theme - rather than deciding to get a game that would keep RoboRally from ever getting played again. It is the mechanic that I really like - programming several turns for the robot and having to visualize ahead of time what will happen. I am honestly not sure that I would want a RoboRally game that has more option cards and more craziness, but I would be willing to try it before making that decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bame
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am somewhere between "No - don't mess with a good game," and "maybe."
So, I guess that means,...maybe.
My wife and I have loved the game for many years and introduced it to a lot of people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Edmonsds
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely be interested in a version that didn't have hasbro's cheap components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Hards
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I almost simply voted for you to 'Leave well alone' simply because I think I'd be disappointed to know that the several pounds of cardboard which makes up my complete collection of RR stuff is going to be made obsolete because a fixed version of the game is going to been produced.

But, then I stopped myself. It WOULD be great to play a game of RR without all of the things that you mentioned in your post (speed issues, downtime etc.) It WOULD be great for RR to not be so much of a Marmite game that you resist introducing to new gamers.

So coming from a die hard fan; do it, do whatever you have to. But please, if you can, keep the theme. It works so well and would be a crying shame not to be programming robots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schmitt
United States
South Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're not trying to keep the components of a reboot compatible with the previous version(s), it does open up the options for a different theme. I do love the existing theme, but I'd be curious to try the reboot regardless of what direction you take it. It would surely get onto my wish list, but whether it crosses into territory where I'd buy it myself depends on the actual look & feel and what the reviews have to say.

I will definitely be watching for developments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Williams
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Let us go out this evening for pleasure; the night is still young."
badge
STOP! WHOSE TURN IS IT NEXT?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so glad I clicked on this link. I thought it was just a fan question at first and almost kept browsing, nothing to see here folks...then I noticed who the OP was.
Thank you, Richard Garfield! I'm behind you all the way!
I have TWO copies of RR 2nd edition and every expansion board released. I'd love to see something new under the RoboRally name and style!

I'm so happy to see Richard Garfield himself is reevaluating one of my favorites!

More option cards!
New boards!
Streamlined rules!
Are you thinking to make it to where the old boards are compatable?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdiel Xordium
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 2nd edition Robo Rally. I love it, but wouldn't buy a new game unless is was sufficiently different to provide a new experience.

Unlike many, I think the option cards were the biggest weakness the game had. They were fiddly but worse is they interfered with the double-think among the players which in my mind is the core of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If Wizards completely stonewall you, then I'm still totally up for a rethemed reboot [insert "shut up and take my money" meme here]. That would be a shame though, as I have such fondness for the original, that I'd love to see new life breathed into it with a new edition.

Assuming I'm not a statistical outlier (which is always a possibility) and there is a fundamental groundswell of support, I wonder what the best way is to communicate that to WotC. While interest in RoboRally is always going to pale into insignificance alongside Magic and D&D, There ought to be a way to communicate that there's still an appreciable interest in this. Between a designer asking permission to reboot the game, and enough potential customers clamouring for it, I imagine it's possible to make it so that Wizards would be willing to come to the table with some kind of offer, as a PR move if nothing else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Let them see the prices on the second hand market for RoboRally expansions... if this doesn't convey the interest and preciousness, then I don't know what does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Phelddagrif wrote:
To summarize the effects of the changes - the game plays faster, has less downtime, is a bit crazier, and has more option card influx.

Aaaaaand I'm in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
KenToad wrote:

When I first saw the title of the thread I thought: Wait a moment, Richard Garfield in this KoNY thread since some days ago. Could it be? And it is!

Yes, Roborally Reboot sound fantastic. I'm fine with the normal game although options cards are hardly used and sometimes their is a runaway leader. But when you want to fix it, do it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Phelddagrif wrote:
the game plays faster, has less downtime, is a bit crazier, and has more option card influx.
Roborally with a timer is already fast and has virtually no downtime, so I'm wondering how that's possible. Crazier might be good... and option cards were never a big part of the appeal for me anyway.

Regardless, I'd love to see what you make of a reboot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abdiel wrote:
Unlike many, I think the option cards were the biggest weakness the game had. They were fiddly but worse is they interfered with the double-think among the players which in my mind is the core of the game.

If your opponent has a double laser or a fourth gear option, how would that interfere with the double-think among the players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man please make this happen. Please please please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
Roborally with a timer is already fast and has virtually no downtime

There's certainly downtime when you're shut down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Williams
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Let us go out this evening for pleasure; the night is still young."
badge
STOP! WHOSE TURN IS IT NEXT?
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
abdiel wrote:

If your opponent has a double laser or a fourth gear option, how would that interfere with the double-think among the players?

I will never understand the "option hate" I see in forums. I hunted down 2nd edition just so I could get Armed & Dangerous to DOUBLE my options. I always play with starter options and drafting at each flag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
I strongly dislike Roborally but I really really want to like it.

I would definitely be interested in seeing what you would do with it now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Grandy
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go for the re-theme...Hasbro/Wizards would not do your project justice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On second thought, I actually think a re-theme might actually work out better for me. I already own two separate editions of RoboRally, and have no intention of getting rid of them. Therefore if the new game looks thematically different, I'll have a much easier time convincing my partner that we should but it, and at the same time keep all our existing RoboRally stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Davis
United States
Tri-Cities
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank God! It's great to see this brought up! I've been wanting it back ( fully ) for years! Funny, I was just coming up with ideas with a friend ( fellow Robo fan ) the other day! Thanks for such a fun, fun game!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [12] |