Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Sampson
United States
Everett
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There had better be a Twonky or it's not RoboRally!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
If WotC isn't looking to make the license available, then any proper noun references are completely out. Of course, such restrictions don't apply to the general concept of a TV-shaped robot with a confused appearance. Who knows, maybe Phil Foglio might be interested in doing a fresh take on his original design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a custom map and a 12 person scenario that we run at our convention every year. Folks love it. You can find it on our schedule: www.fallcon.com

We play 12 people on a map about the size of 4 boards, right now there are 14 folks registered!! People literally line up to play this variant. The time slot is 2 hours, but that is because the convention has set time blocks, it plays way faster than 2 hours.

If you look around our website you can probably see some pics.

Peace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Packard
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robo Rally has been my favorite game since it first came out a couple of decades ago. I have all the expansions plus the Hasbro redo (which had some nice features but also made some minor changes which I thought weren't as good as the original).

I'm excited by the idea of any fresh Robo Rally product even if it turns out to be a complete re-theme.

More, please!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a new theme should feature little imps being herded around a hellish expanse of traps, with the players as their demonic overlords.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Clensy
United States
Glenbrook
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have invested a good bit of time and money into my painted bots, making 50 different boards, magnetic counters for my metal player boards and a storage system so I could play a game that I think is just about perfect as is. So my initial thought is that I would not be interested in a reboot unless it is compatible with what came before.

Upon more thought, I guess it is possible that a re-theme or re-design could create an even better game or a new game I like as much. I don't really think it possible so I would be very skeptical. It is too bad that Wizards isn't more receptive. I would like to see what a tweaked version of RoboRally might look like, though I would still be very skeptical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite board game is Robo Rally. I have have the 2nd edition with all expansions. And lots of custom content; missles from model kits, home made game pieces, and so on. I was introduced by a co-worker, and fell in love with it right away. I bought the game and all its expansions when they were widely available at the time.

I also have home made boards and options.

Option cards are awesome in the game, a lack of options would take away the enjoyment, but that doesn't mean a new system or game with less options would be poor. I don't know what this other game would be like, but I would be willing to give it a try.

Other versions that came after the 2nd edition seem to be inferior, except the cool 3D flags. If the new game would go that route I would be against it.

But a new game with new mechanics, once again, I would be willing to try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bestia immonda
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in!
No cheap Hasbro materials tho, and thanks for all that you did for the gaming hobby mr Garfield!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Do the right thing. It's usually obvious.
badge
I has a stick! A tiny green stick!
mbmbmbmbmb
My 1st edition Robo Rally with second edition expansions still gets play at our table, as it has for twenty years.

We would definitely give a reboot a try... but please, no starting bays; virtual, baby, virt-u-al!

And I don't see how anyone could block you from using "Twonky", as it was lifted from a Kuttner/Moore (writing as Padgett) story. (Oh my, and I see now that it was also a film, with Hans Conried! I do so love these internets...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:

This!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Coolen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very exciting !!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hsu

New York City
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir, if you kickstart the reboot I will back it.

Regarding the theme, I would like the new game to keep being a game about programming[1]. For me, Robo Rally was all about programming robots and watching your programs go awry. As long as its about badly written programs I'm fine

[1] You might like knowing this: one of my friends is teaching an AP Computer Science class here, and is using Robo Rally to teach kids how to program.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Worcester
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are able to get the license and pair with a publisher that is up to hobby standards such as Asmodee, Stronghold, etc., this game would absolutely have new life and an entirely new set of customers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Posey
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
Therefore if the new game looks thematically different, I'll have a much easier time convincing my partner that we should but it...
Roborally is one of my favorite games and I personally love the theme. However, I also know that the theme is one of the big reasons my wife doesn't play it. I'm not sure it's possible to retheme the game, but it should certainly be looked into.

I am open to the idea of a new version, but I would have to see it before I buy it. The game is so good already, it's hard for me to imagine what could be improved upon. The only thing I can think of is having a little bit more control in what option cards you get. Sometimes your looking for a good weapon but you draw an option card to help you drive, and vice versa. Just having multiple stacks to choose from would be helpful.

Regardless, I look forward to hearing more about it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Spring loaded toys that you have to wind-up and reprogram for the next few steps when their springs get down?

I'd see a plethora of cute animals, cars, robot toys, dolls, etc.

Being so different from one another, you could have special powers dedicated to each character, instead of drawn option cards that can apply to any character. That would give the character more personality. A small deck of option cards for each character?

I'd get that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Altoona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The main reason I don't play this more is because of the length. Shorter would be better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LetsGetTrivial wrote:
The main reason I don't play this more is because of the length. Shorter (

This seems hard to understand because you can make a game of RoboRally as long or as short as you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
LetsGetTrivial wrote:

This seems hard to understand because you can make a game of RoboRally as long or as short as you want.

When we play with 6 players on a one board map with 3 flags it will take about 2 hours. This is not really short and there are not many possibilities to shorten this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Everett
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZdadrDeM wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
LetsGetTrivial wrote:

When we play with 6 players on a one board map with 3 flags it will take about 2 hours. This is not really short and there are not many possibilities to shorten this game.
Make it 2 flags and put them closer together on an easier board? With 6 people there will be plenty of chaos to make up for the lack of traps. Also use the timer if you are not as this shortens the game a good deal (and makes it more fun).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZdadrDeM wrote:

As a research project, you could search for an integer less than 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted W
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
Sight beyond sight!
badge
*Shrug* Wampas, am I right?
mbmbmbmbmb
I love love love my 1995 edition of RoboRally, and it still makes it to the table once in a while.

If the new stuff is compatible with the old stuff, I'm all for it.

Maybe a "Big box" version with the expansions?

Include a "classic mode"?

I'd be all over more RoboRally!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciat your suggestions, but:
- also on easier boards it takes the time
- only two flags often leads to a runaway leader. You need the third flag so someone how touched the second flag has to go the way back through other robots
- we use the timer but in the rules it'S stated that you start it when only one player has not finished and there are often two or more player taking their time
- shuffling and dealing the cards also takes some time after each turn

I think it's possible to save some time but it's still a long game. I have absolutely no idea how someone can play this game on 2 or 3 boards with all 8 flags included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
ZdadrDeM wrote:
I think it's possible to save some time but it's still a long game. I have absolutely no idea how someone can play this game on 2 or 3 boards with all 8 flags included.
8 flags on 2-3 boards is a lot. I'd assume they were very close together, which is an option. You could make each flag 5-6 squares apart, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZdadrDeM wrote:
- we use the timer but in the rules it'S stated that you start it when only one player has not finished and there are often two or more player taking their time

Obviously, if you are really concerned about playing the game faster then you should impose an overall time limit on the players. Otherwise one round could take forever.

Personally, I prefer games that take more than 2 hours anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Everett
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZdadrDeM wrote:
Start timer when one person finishes or just start it from the beginning. Both are great ways to play.

As for flags I am pretty sure there is a 6 player map with 2 flags (on the chess board I think) in the book. If not its not hard. A flag near the back and second near the start will make lots of crossings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [12] |