Recommend
199 
 Thumb up
 Hide
277 Posts
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [12] | 

RoboRally» Forums » General

Subject: Would you be interested in Robo Rally Rebooted rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Schmitt
United States
South Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Phelddagrif wrote:
Recently I thought seriously about how I would redesign it given 20 additional years of experience. I came up with a new design I really like. To summarize the effects of the changes - the game plays faster, has less downtime, is a bit crazier, and has more option card influx.

It sounds like you have a pretty clear sense of where you want to take the revised gameplay. I'm wondering whether, in developing your revisions, you consulted the forums here for variants that fans (including myself) have posted.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I already own a copy and likely wouldn't upgrade, but I do think this is a great idea.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uatu-o-Lantern
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
rattkin wrote:
For those trying to come up with new designs for reboot or doubting the greatness of new edition...

Guys! Guys, guys, guys.

This is Richard Garfield we're talking about.

When you blindly trust someone trying to improve on his own legacy to not lose sight if what made the original so beloved...

...that's how The Phantom Menace happened.

That's how Ths Godfather Part III happened.
And Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

And Carcassonne: The Catapult.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Brankov
Serbia
Novi Sad
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
thatmarkguy wrote:
rattkin wrote:
For those trying to come up with new designs for reboot or doubting the greatness of new edition...

Guys! Guys, guys, guys.

This is Richard Garfield we're talking about.

When you blindly trust someone trying to improve on his own legacy to not lose sight if what made the original so beloved...

...that's how The Phantom Menace happened.

That's how Ths Godfather Part III happened.
And Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

And Carcassonne: The Catapult.

Richard Garfield is not George Lucas!!
...

Is he?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
commuter zombie
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roborally still makes it to the table in our group and we all enjoy it immensely.

If you were looking into a new edition, the only concerns that I would have would be:

1 - In a longer race, what mechanisms could be introduced to keep those at the back of the pack interested?

2 - Could alternative game modes (like Capture the Flag) be made official and supported in the rules and some of the options/game components?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dukelander wrote:
Richard Garfield is not George Lucas!!
...

Is he?
You never see Richard Garfield with a beard, and you never see George Lucas without one. So the beard could be like Clark Kent's glasses.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Brankov
Serbia
Novi Sad
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
commuterzombie wrote:
Roborally still makes it to the table in our group and we all enjoy it immensely.

If you were looking into a new edition, the only concerns that I would have would be:

1 - In a longer race, what mechanisms could be introduced to keep those at the back of the pack interested?

2 - Could alternative game modes (like Capture the Flag) be made official
and supported in the rules and some of the options/game components?

1) more easily accessible upgrades

2) it is already capture the flag, but I can imagine 2 teams from the different side of the boards with flag in the middle!! oooh that could be FUN!!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzanne
United States
Issaquah
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RoboRally is THE game that got me into board gaming...way back in the day at Games and Gizmos in Bellevue, WA. I still love the game (and weep that I've lost a couple of the minis from the original box) and would be in for a reboot.

Theme makes so much sense right now. But if WOTC is being a butt - I trust you to apply a different theme and have it make sense.

I'm in. Just tell me where to push my money.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Elmore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would probably buy a reboot. My gaming closet only has so much space, so I've been more cautious about buying new games, but Robo Rally would be one of those that I could keep the original alongside anything new. I haven't dusted off the original in a while, and that's a shame. One reason is that one player gets her lefts and rights confused, which is often hilarious but frustrating for her. The cards have arrows on them, so I don't know how that design could be improved upon.

Another game I enjoy that unfortunately has not seen much play lately is the Great Space Race. Since it's derivative of your game, I'm sure you've already looked at it. It has some elements that I actually prefer over Robo Rally, though I don't necessarily see those elements being appropriate for Robo Rally. One is the hexagonal map. It just makes the movements more fluid. Unfortunately, I just can't see the factory drawn on a hexagonal map. Also, that pretty much ruins any compatibility with previous editions. Another element I like is that many cards in Great Space Race feature more complex moves. This allows the piece to cover longer distances. It's also nice because the card gives you a choice. You can execute the cool little move but if there's a hazard to the right, you go left instead.

I like the simplicity of the program cards in RR, but I could see a rare card that executes a bigger move. Say, a turn and a move combined in one or even a crab move. Maybe even have a move that duplicates jump jets (not as far, mind you). Maybe one that sends you 4 or 5 squares forward but spins you around 180 as you screech to a halt. This suggestion kind of takes away from the options deck, but maybe that's a good thing. Options can be more mechanical such as the double laser or extra memory, while fancy moves can be restricted to the program cards. There could even be two stacks of program cards. You draw eight normal cards and one fancy card (or 7-2). If you use your fancy card, you draw another one. And the fancy cards could possibly work left or right, decided upon when you reveal it.

If you reboot RR, I would definitely be interested, even if it's a different theme. Twonky's nice and all, but I played the game for the rules, not the prescient television (as fun as he is).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick K
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also love for Robo Rally to return. I got what I think is the second edition and sadly was only able to get the Armed and Dangerous expansion. I also got the Avalon Hill version also but I preferred the older version.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McHale
msg tools
I actually made an account here just to tell you I'd buy whatever revision of RoboRally you make.

I voted for "keep the flavor similar" because I think the setting and story for the original RoboRally was absolutely spot on -- evocative and captured the flavor of the game well. In reality, I'd almost certainly buy the game however it was released, but I can't imagine another setting capturing the flavor nearly so well.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karafruit Villager-Thrower
United States
REDWOOD CITY
CA
flag msg tools
badge
please don't fluff my kiwifruits
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kuildeous wrote:
I like the simplicity of the program cards in RR, but I could see a rare card that executes a bigger move. Say, a turn and a move combined in one or even a crab move. Maybe even have a move that duplicates jump jets (not as far, mind you). Maybe one that sends you 4 or 5 squares forward but spins you around 180 as you screech to a halt. This suggestion kind of takes away from the options deck, but maybe that's a good thing. Options can be more mechanical such as the double laser or extra memory, while fancy moves can be restricted to the program cards. There could even be two stacks of program cards. You draw eight normal cards and one fancy card (or 7-2). If you use your fancy card, you draw another one. And the fancy cards could possibly work left or right, decided upon when you reveal it.
I think this would be a bad idea--it would be increasing the luck differences because pretty much getting one of these cards would always be a huge advantage and so could make it even easier for someone to quickly get in the lead and become nearly uncatchable.
The crab move might not be as bad as your 4/5 jump move, but I think if they are included they should not be so uncommon as to make them commonly give one player an advantage, but rather common enough that everyone will get them at least some of the time. (maybe the same frequency as U-turn/Back Up/Move 3, though adding more cards is going to dilute one's chances of getting a given card that is needed)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Herron
United States
Bethel
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
♜ ♞ ♝ ♛ ♚ ♝ ♞ ♜ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟
badge
♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♖ ♘ ♗ ♕ ♔ ♗ ♘ ♖
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Since developing / releasing RoboDerby: Express (a labor of love dice-based "express" tribute to RoboRally), I've run into two groups of people.

One is a group that is a die-hard "you can pry-it-from-my-cold-dead-fingers" sort of group that loves the original game with all of its idiosyncrasies and rough points -- nothing can ever change the fact that RoboRally in its original form is the paragon of gaming goodness, and the only bad thing is that expansions eventually stopped coming and that the originals are so hard to find.


The second group is one that was "meh" on the original game, but genuinely appreciated the changes to lighten it up and streamline it. Being able to re-roll dice instead of getting stuck with a hand full of left turns was a very welcome change, and lightened the atmosphere into something more akin to King of Tokyo, but still with much of the strategic planning of the original RoboRally.


As a developer of a spinoff / tribute game, I certainly think that RoboRally is wonderful, and I think that a few changes can open the doors of the game to much wider audiences than it currently reaches. But I know that those doors aren't opened without bumping into a few toes along the way, and there will always be the group that would prefer a sequel to Grand Prix and Radioactive, and shuns anything to the contrary.

But there are enough people out there that would greatly appreciate a streamlined game, and I believe you would do extremely well with it, Richard.

Thanks for your games, and everything that you bring to the table -- we, the fans, truly appreciate it.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Manteca
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a huge fan of Roborally and even though I do not get to play it as much as I like, it will never leave my collection. One of my favorite parts of the game are the robots. I love their quirky backstories and just the humor behind it all (I always play Hulk). However, with the changes you mentioned from a gameplay standpoint, I would be fine with a theme change if it was a must. I would still much rather have the same game but better (theme/mechanics) or at the very least the humor and robots, but placed in a different setting.

That said, when answering the survey I choose do whatever needs to be done to get this out. I would much rather have a better version of the game I love in a new theme then to not have it at all. Curious, will this possibly take a Kickstarter route or more traditional?


Things I would love to fix with RoboRally:

1. Better components
2. Faster Play
3. Some sort of mechanic(s) to combat a runaway leader
4. Upgrade easier or more was to get them (perhaps some card drafting)
5. Some variant game modes perhaps
6. SMALLER BOX!!!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me say that both I and my brother would be very much interested in seeint a reboot of this game, especially if you find a way to push out reboots of the expansion maps and bring more of the Option cards to the players (seriously, I love seeing what I pull with those!). While there are a few things I'd like to see fixed, I just want to see the game on the shelves again - with expansions - and would definitely buy into that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No matter the theme, no matter the mechanics, there must always be Twonky.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolai Tsekov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can redo it with viruses or some bacteria. Some nice back story and you'll have a better game than any thematic game we have now (*cough* - Pandemic)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of discussion on theme. And I have touched on it already. But I want to say if it was rethemed with physical viruses or with animals, I probably would not like it.

I would like it themed maybe with Tanks, or something like that. Keep it mechanical and I probably would love it.

But kept as robots would even be better.

For those who want more options, there are homebrew option cards out there, which you can order through Artscow.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
Contrarily to seemingly most BGG, I'm trying to find motives to prune my collection.
badge
Meow.
Avatar
mb
The fact my group is willing to design maps that "fix" RoboRally is telling two things:
- We like the core programming/damage system.
- The game shall be improved.

I'm 100% behind a reboot, especially if it focuses on making the game faster and less prone to a runaway leader problem. If I was a in charge, I would suggest:
- Ditching racing as the primary objective of the game in favour of some capture-the-flag variant; but that's probably a terrible idea since people love RoboRally being RoboRally.
- Not a pirate theme. This one is cursed.
- Agreeing with a publisher on good quality components. The last Avalon Hill/Hasbro version is the unchallenged cheapest-looking game in my collection.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kuildeous wrote:
One reason is that one player gets her lefts and rights confused, which is often hilarious but frustrating for her. The cards have arrows on them, so I don't know how that design could be improved upon.

Rotate Clockwise
Rotate Counterclockwise

If you do nothing else please make this change.

I had a hard time answering the poll. I'm willing to see a reboot, but can't answer if I would buy it till I saw it. I love RR, it's my number one game. Even my license plate is "ROBO RLY". I have enough faith in Richard Garfield to be enthusiastic about this until I see something "wrong".

HanClinto wrote:

One is a group that is a die-hard "you can pry-it-from-my-cold-dead-fingers" sort of group that loves the original game with all of its idiosyncrasies and rough points -- nothing can ever change the fact that RoboRally in its original form is the paragon of gaming goodness, and the only bad thing is that expansions eventually stopped coming and that the originals are so hard to find.


The second group is one that was "meh" on the original game, but genuinely appreciated the changes to lighten it up and streamline it. Being able to re-roll dice instead of getting stuck with a hand full of left turns was a very welcome change, and lightened the atmosphere into something more akin to King of Tokyo, but still with much of the strategic planning of the original RoboRally.

I'm definitely somewhere in between. I own both a WotC edition and the AH version, and most of the time I'm pulling out the AH version. I like the starting board and am OK with the choices that were made. I go to a convention where there's an individual that's mostly in the first camp and I tend not to play.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
The game's been out long enough where I feel like a fresh approach would go a long way to re-invigorating the series. I'd be happy with any setting, but agree that "Twonky" must make it in somehow if only in spirit!

Have at it and create more fun times for folks!!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Elmore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Everybody loves Twonky. Let's vote him as Grand Robo-Emperor so that he goes mad with power and kidnaps all these other robots to race for his amusement.

All hail Grand Robo-Emperor Twonky!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kuildeous wrote:
Everybody loves Twonky. Let's vote him as Grand Robo-Emperor so that he goes mad with power and kidnaps all these other robots to race for his amusement.

All hail Grand Robo-Emperor Twonky!



I vote Mike the TV for Emperor!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in watching this develop. I enjoy RR greatly, and am satisfied with the game. I also need more boardgames like I need another hole in my head...but hey...ROBORALLY.

Whatever the case, I wish you the best, Mr. Garfield, and thanks for RR, it's brought me, friends, and family a lot of fun over the years.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Do the right thing. It's usually obvious.
badge
I has a stick! A tiny green stick!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
karrde wrote:


Rotate Clockwise
Rotate Counterclockwise

If you do nothing else please make this change.


This is an excellent suggestion. As a dyslexic, I had to put an extra level of effort into my "robo-dance", and still had a fairly high mistake rate (arrows notwithstanding).

Then, a few years ago, I happened to notice that changes in orientation could be treated a rotations. (Yes, I realize that sounds obvious to those with standard wiring... it is not obvious to those without an automatic on-board left-right detector... that is, those of us who have to pretend to be writing something to remember which of our hands is the "right" one.)

Knowing now that "right" is "clockwise", I save a great deal of mental effort and enjoy the game more than ever. (I've tried applying this elsewhere, picturing myself embedded in a horizontal clock face and rotating it to determine direction... but that's not faster than pretending to write.)
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [12] |