Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
1096 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [44] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG News

Subject: BGG SECRET SANTA Registration is Closed. Targets to be assigned within 24 hours. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: secretsanta [+] [View All]
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
When October rolls around, BGGers know it is time to think about Santa. Secret Santa!

What is Secret Santa?

For those who don't know, every year we run a MASSIVE gift exchange here for the BGG Community. In 2013 we had over 2500 people participate, our biggest exchange yet! I hope to see this year's grow to be even bigger!

All you need to do is click the link at the top of this post and then click Join. Replying to this thread does not sign you up for Secret Santa. You must join through the link provided above.

By joining the exchange, you are agreeing to buy a gift for another user and have it shipped in time for Christmas. Your total cost for the game(s) and shipping should be a minimum of $50 USD.

After Registration closes (November 11th) we secretly assign everyone a gift-giving target. This means that you will be the Secret Santa for another BGG user, and you will also get a gift from a mystery Santa yourself!

Check out all the fun that was had last year in the BGG 2013 Secret Santa geeklist.

GeekExchange

Want to run your own special Secret Santa? The program we use to run the official BGG Secret Santa is available for anyone else to use to make your own Gift Exchanges. See http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/GeekExchange for details! (That wiki page is a bit rough - please feel free to help spruce it up - your efforts will be rewarded!)

Official BGG 2014 Secret Santa Rules:

To particpate in the Secret Santa you must agree to the following rules:

1.) First and foremost, Secret Santa is all about the giving. Getting is fun too, but be prepared for the possibility that the person who is sending you a gift may disappoint you. Most people do a good job, but there are always going to be a handful of unfortunate situations that come up.

If you sign up for Secret Santa treat it as a responsibility and make it a priority. Those who sign-up but don't send gifts will face the possibility of account privileges being suspended as a result.

2.) You have until Midnight (CST, GMT-6), Tuesday November 11th to sign up. If you have second thoughts after signing up, you also have until that deadline to delete your registration.

3.) Keep your wishlist (NOT want list) of games updated. The expectation is that your Santa will send a new game from your wishlist. Please have at least twenty currently available games on your list, and try to have most of them fall within a reasonable price range. If you have a small, expensive, or difficult-to-fulfill wishlist then don't be surprised if you get something that isn't on your list. The more you have on your list the easier it is for your Secret Santa to find something for you.

4.) When it comes to sending, the expectation is that you will buy a new game from your target's wishlist. The total cost of the games you send (including shipping) should be at least $50 USD.

There is no problem, of course, with going above and beyond - sending two, three, or even more games. The generous Santas are the best remembered! And you will make it truly special if you personalize the gift somehow.

ALL participants must provide proof of purchase and/or shipment. A special email address will be provided when targets are assigned. This should only add a minute or two to what you need to do, but will help speed up the process of resolving complaints considerably.

5.) This is an international Secret Santa. Anyone from any country is welcome to join. As such, recognize that you very well may be given a target from a foreign country, so be prepared to factor international shipping into your gift. We will provide a list of online stores from around the world to help people who get international targets.

Alternatively, you have the option to pick which countries you are willing to ship to. However I strongly encourage you not to limit yourself as shipping a gift to someone in another country can be a very rewarding experience. While it may add extra costs, the other person will greatly appreciate it - particularly if you can send something that is hard to get where they are from!

Also, if you are from a country that has only a few participants then I also strongly suggest you not limit your country options or you very well may end up with the only other person who entered from your country. The distinctly international flavor of the BGG Secret Santa is one of the best aspects of it, in my opinion.

6.) This is supposed to be an enriching experience - not a stressful one. So the most important rules is HAVE FUN!

Click the link below and join ONLY if you agree with the above rules:.

When signing up, please note that the Give Only box should ONLY be checked if you DO NOT WANT to receive a gift. People who click the Give Only box are extremely generous members of the site who fill in to save the day when something goes wrong for other participants. We had a number of such people last year who did an AMAZING job stepping in to salvage what would have otherwise been frustrating situations.

If you were one of those saintly geeks last year, A MILLION THANK YOUS to you! If you were someone who had a replacement Santa step in and save Christmas for you, share your experience here to inspire others to do the same this year!

And if you choose to sign up as a Give Only participant this year, A MILLION THANK YOUS to you too! If you would like to BOTH sign up for Secret Santa normally AND also fill in as a replacement Santa, sign up normally and I will put out a call for additional replacement Santas when they are needed.

Finally, we want this event to focus on the fun so please refrain from bringing up any complaints in this thread. Geekmail me with any such issues instead. I'm happy to address each and every concern you have.

If you own an online store and are interested in getting involved, please do not post here. Instead contact Chad Krizan at Chad@boardgamegeek.com and he'll make sure you are set up for the initial rush once November 11th hits.

This year's official participation microbadge features a stocking, created by Thorin2001: mb Thanks Thorin2001! Please put the microbadge on display to help get the word out that Secret Santa time is here!

Check under the Special section on your profile microbadge list. If you don't have the badge, you haven't signed up! Click the link above now to sign up and get your 2014 Secret Santa Microbadge!

Also, special thanks to Luds, who goes through this thread to double-check to make sure everyone who wants to be in the exchange is actually signed up! A note from him:

Luds wrote:
Folks, I'm going through the 7 pages now to verify that all users who indicated in this thread that they want to participate have the microbadge. Every year, TENs of people initially post in here assuming posting in the thread is sufficient to register. To help me out...

PLEASE WEAR THE MICROBADGE! mb

Thanks!

Here is to closing out the BGG year with three months of holiday cheer!

Helpful Links:

BGG 2014 Secret Santa Preferred Stores
BGG Secret Santa 2014 "Rate My Wishlist/Letter" Thread
Secret Santa Shipping and Duties/ Buying INFO
The Most Popular Secret Santa Games (2013)
2014 Secret Santa: Taunts, Teasers, and Communicado!
BGG 2014 Secret Santa - TARGETS ASSIGNED!
Second Chance Exchange

• [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: BGG 2014 Secret Santa is here! Register today!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Olin
Finland
Vasa
flag msg tools
badge
Justice for the 96!
mbmbmbmbmb

I AM READY cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Gozzi
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
Make Board Game Geek GREAT AGAIN!
badge
Ïa! Ïa! Cthulhu fthagn! Ph'nglui mglw'nfah Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fthagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
The registration link doesn't work... soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Varming
Denmark
Vejle Ø
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just tried the Register link and get the message "Invalid exchange/invite code" .. ??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meat Popsicle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I think I will make this my first year as a participant.

I've always thought about it in past years and just didn't do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendall Merriman
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what happens when you're an early adopter/debugger.

I'm sure it'll get fixed soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danilo
Brazil
Águas Claras
Brasilia / DF
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's time to work! arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Always with the technical difficulties! I've got some elves looking at it.

---------edit--------
ALL FIXED!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Send in the elves!

...................... SANTA LOADING ......................

...................... SANTA LOADED ......................

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paige Watson
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="My Turn Yet?
badge
30 Days, 0 plays
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
Send in the elves!

Thank you Elves. I was able to sign up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
In for the 6th time - my favourite part of BGG! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendall Merriman
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wooooohooooooo! All signed up to be a secret santa again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Olin
Finland
Vasa
flag msg tools
badge
Justice for the 96!
mbmbmbmbmb
*secretly hoping I'll be able to get to ship to Cayman Islands this year*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley
United States
Ball
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking forward to signing up for a while now! This will be my first year, can't wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
ALL FIXED!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year was my first, and this is an INSTANT join. It was so much fun last year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Iordache
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Long-awaited announcement.
I'll be in for third time.
Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Perry
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Ex-Term-In-Ate
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed last year, but participated every other year... proud to say that not only am I back, but also one of the first 30 to sign up!

Now, who do I get to send a worn out copy of Monopoly to this year?! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hall
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
This space for rent
mb
Woohoo! I've had to limit myself to in-country targets this year, but it'll be a blast as always.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Dahl
United States
West Fargo
ND
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woohoo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
mbmbmbmbmb
(getting giddy)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
WHERE IS JA?!
badge
Help me Ja Rule
mbmbmbmbmb
WOO HOO!! This is my second year participating (last year being the first). I've been waiting for this to roll around again!!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [44] |