Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Lee
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since we started playing Smash Up, my group has enjoyed playing a 2v2 variant the most, inspired by this thread (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/960319/team-variant). The team dynamic and ability to support each other really opens up a lot of tactical possibilities. Here are the rules that we use:

1. Partners sit opposite each other. Rock-paper-scissors is played between the two captains. The winner may either choose to take the first draft (designated P1) or the first turn (designated P2).
2. The drafting is like normal in Smash Up: P1, P2, P3, P4 draft in the first round, and then P4, P3, P2, and P1 draft in the second round.
3. If playing with bans, ban rounds occur before each draft round. In the first ban round, P1 and P2 pick a faction to ban. In the second ban round, P4 and P3 pick a faction to ban.
4. All discussion is open. You may talk with your team as much as you like, but of course your opponents will also hear what you have to say. No looking at each other's hands.
5. The card wording is followed exactly as in a free-for-all. That means anything that affects "other players" will affect your partner too. (Be very careful with those Spies...) Remember that many cards simply say "Play on a minion," which means that it is permissible to play them on your partner's minion. Otherwise, if your actions state that they only affect yourself, they don't affect your partner.
6. Scoring is won by individuals in the typical 1st/2nd/3rd manner. Ties are resolved just like they would be in free-for-all. This has a couple implications. At times it's worth it to tie with your partner to get more points and force out opponents to lower point values, or even to tie for second and have a higher team gain.
7. The game ends once at least one person gains 15+ VP. However, the winning team is the team with the most total points.

We also play with a Mulligan option at the beginning of the game, regardless of whether we play FFA or 2v2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McGregor Crowley
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The thing I like most here are rules 6 and 7. I seems like the simplest way to add the team nature. I like the idea of team A forcing a player on team B to hit 15 while the other team B member is stuck on 8.

The only issue I can see is the extra turns rule, do you go for extra turns if the teams are tied or if 2 players are tied?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gameson
United Kingdom
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for this! Lovely simple rule set, and some interesting opportunities too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lee
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arcv2 wrote:

The only issue I can see is the extra turns rule, do you go for extra turns if the teams are tied or if 2 players are tied?

The game only continues if the team totals are tied, which has only happened once for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anonymous Person
United States
California
flag msg tools
I wanted to try something like this but my idea was to have the players on teams pool their VP and the first team to 30+ wins.

Problem with tying rules is that's now always advantageous to try to tie with your partner for first.

Perhaps a rule could be that if you're pooling VP, if you and your partner tie for whatever place you act like there isn't a tie and if for instance you tie for first you pretend one of you got first and the other got 2nd. Then again this would screw up the ninja bases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lee
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The tying rule adds a snowball element to the game, but by doubling up on bases you create space for your opponents to double up on another base as well. There's not really a problem that needs to be fixed from what I've seen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson
United States
The Plains
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like this variant because it adds an interesting tactical layer to the game without muddying the rules. I also like it because this variant seems like a way to mitigate some of the chaos of 4 player free-for-all (which is a number of players I do not particularly enjoy playing Smash Up with). Thanks for sharing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lee
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2v2 is my group's favorite format to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls