22 Posts

Istanbul» Forums » Variants

Subject: Istanbul for 1 Player (Singleplayer variant) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
b c
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I don't get to play this awesome game enough I've adjusted the rules to play by myself. Of course it's more fun with more players but hey, you don't always have friends around for a quick game, so you might want to give this a try. I only changed few things from the 2 player version, bascially the same rules apply.

I tested this using the "In order" layout (big numbers on the places) but of course any other layout will also work.

Setup changes:

* Only 3 Rubies are placed on the Gemstone Dealer and the Sultan's Palace each. The Rubies are placed with one free space between each other, starting on the priciest space (upper right corner). So the first Ruby for example costs 19 Lira, the second 21 Lira etc. Just take a look at the pic (red circle are Rubies):

* All the mosque tiles are used in the game. The four stacks are placed on their respective place tile (like in the game with 5 players).

* To keep track of turns the merchant that isn't used in the game is placed facedown next to the first place tile.

Gameplay changes:

* Before each turn move the tracker "merchant" to the next tile. (It doesn't interact with anything.) When it reaches tile 16 simply move to 1 on the next turn.

* When you gain a mosque tile from a stack (for example the blue one), take a mosque tile off the top of each of the other 3 stacks and remove them from the game (in this example the red, green and yellow ones). Edit: Just to clarify, that means for each mosque tile you will need to have more goods, up to 5 for the fourth.

* When you sell goods at one of the markets the demand tile of the other market also is exchanged (it is placed underneath its own stack).

How many turns do you need to collect 6 Rubies? My personal best was 24 turns with 3 Lira to spare and 5 goods in my cart.

Edit: Corrected spelling errors and added a few clarifications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hicks
United States
Evansville
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always like a good single player variant. And a well done one with a good AEG game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Liakhovich
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds very interesting. Did you use any special rules for the family member? I'd like to be able to get him out of jail, but then he needs to be able to go back to jail somehow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Bruhn
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad8r wrote:
Sounds very interesting. Did you use any special rules for the family member? I'd like to be able to get him out of jail, but then he needs to be able to go back to jail somehow.
You could use the mini-expansion "Kebap-Shop" for this.
If you don't have it, it doesn't matter, because it is just an addition to the function of the fountain.

If you don't know the function:
In the Kebap Shop you can either use the fountain function as usual.
But you have an alternative function at the same place: You can pay 2 Liras to use your family member, which means you can put him on any place you like. BUT: You can do this only, if your family member is NOT at the police station.

So in the end the fountain/Kebap Shop works similar as the police station - but you have to pay additional 2 Liras.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Liakhovich
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh cool, I do have the Kebab-Shop tile from the Spielbox, but haven't played with it yet! This should work nicely for the solo! Thanks Ralph!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b c
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad8r wrote:

No, I didn't. Wanted to keep it true to the original game as possible. In a 2 player game it also happens that the other player just never sends your family member back to prison. But there are bonus cards which let do that.

Of course you can also use the "Kebap Shop" if you want to. Although I'm not sure if you could exploit it, given that there's no other player to stop you if need be.

Maybe just try and see if it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just tried this, pretty good (30 turns).

RE the family member. If you have it set up as a 2p game then you should have 3 NPC merchants on the board, which may (if you're lucky) send him back for you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b c
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lukerazor wrote:
I just tried this, pretty good (30 turns).

RE the family member. If you have it set up as a 2p game then you should have 3 NPC merchants on the board, which may (if you're lucky) send him back for you

I think the official rules state the NPC merchants don't send family members back though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
avguy2 wrote:
lukerazor wrote:

I think the official rules state the NPC merchants don't send family members back though.

The in-the-box rules don't say either way (as far as I can see)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Faustus
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Sarajevo
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great variant.
It took me 31 round with 7 rubies left, and one resource... Got 3/4 Mosque goods, and had fun.
Considering this is my first play ever, I might misunderstood some rules, but don't think so.
For instance, when I have no more workers, and I go back to get one, I pick him up, so the action, and continue? So if you are picking worker, no need to leave one, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nuuq wrote:
For instance, when I have no more workers, and I go back to get one, I pick him up, so the action, and continue? So if you are picking worker, no need to leave one, right?

Correct
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Grabiner
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a good game, and I would guess 24 will be the best. I took 25 turns on my first try, with good luck but ending up with too much money (having exhausted the Gemstone Dealer), and I think I could have made it in 24 if I hadn't wasted some goods at the Small Market so that I could have given them to the Small Mosque instead to get the green and red tiles.

The good luck involved starting with the 2x Post Office card (and using it three times early as I bounced between the Post Office and Caravansary), and getting lots of cards because the Governor made several early visits to the Post Office and Caravansary, then went to the Fountain when I needed to go there anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcio Ferreira
Portugal
Viana do Castelo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got throught this post today, and I will give it a try.

I think that what also affects the final result is the starting layout.
[thumbs up]thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b c
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The layout will definitely affect your results. In the 24-turns game I think I had the big red numbers setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the work on putting this together. I just purchased the Mocha & Baksheesh expansion, have you thought about what changes might be necessary to play solo using that expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Grabiner
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could this variant be done with the expansion as well? I haven't tried it, but I would suggest these additions for the new locations.

At the Coffee House, place only two rubies, for 7 and 9 coffee.

The barrier is moved every time you roll a 7 on the dice (even if you just moved it; this represents the chance that another player would move the barrier before your next turn). Choose a random location from 2-12, and a random open side of that location; also, you lose the barrier tile.

The first Tavern tile can be taken for 1 coffee, and the second for 2 coffee.

The Tavern ruby tile may not be used to take the last ruby from any location. (As a result, you might be unable to use it for your sixth ruby if you have taken two from the Gemstone Dealer and Sultan's Palace and one from the Coffee House.)

The Roasting Plant and Guild House are unchanged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, that seems like a great place to start!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
esterjey wrote:
Thanks for the work on putting this together. I just purchased the Mocha & Baksheesh expansion, have you thought about what changes might be necessary to play solo using that expansion?

I've come up with an expansion variant based on the OP's. It seems to work pretty well.

I usually use the random setup. Set up the base game tiles as this variant requires, using the same rules.

The Coffee House: Only 2 gems are placed here, on the 8 and 10 spots. (So the player can buy them for 7, then 9 coffee.)

The Tavern tile: During setup, put a single gem on the gem image for the "Baksheesh" action. The Baksheesh tile stays on its "hard" (dark) side, and you can only use that action once in the game, gaining that one gem.

There is only 1 Encounter and 1 Movement tile on offer for the player for the entire game: one 2-coffee-cost Encounter tile and one 3-coffee-cost Movement tile. These can be obtained in any order.

The Barrier action is not available to the player. However, the game places the barrier against the player, but only if the player buys the Movement tile. When the player buys the Movement tile, he rolls a D6 and a D4 (or D8). The D6 designates one of the center tiles, and the D4 determines whether the barrier is placed North, East, South or West of that tile. Each time the player uses the Movement tile -- that is, uses it to move more than 2 spaces -- then the barrier is re-placed in this way after that movement.

... criticism or suggestions are welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlon Kruis
Netherlands
Pijnacker
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great info, tried it tonight and had great fun. Scored 29.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans "Solo" Hiemenz
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could the family member be sent back to the POlice station when the turn merchant gets to your family member? When it gets to the same tile you can either pay 3 Lyra or discard a bonus card to send the family member back to the police station.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lowder
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I appreciate this clever variant. Thank you. Game On!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge P
Spain
flag msg tools
hello!

I added something to your variant that works amazingly and makes the game more challenging.

Each time you finish your turn, roll the two dice and place the smuggler in the pertinent tile. If the smuggler finds your cousin, you have to pay 10 lyre or he will steal all of your goods ( this doesn't count in the police station) remember that you have a bonus card that moves your cousin to the police station) and of course, you can choose to not use your cousin

enjoy! I had a lot of fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.