Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Reviews

Subject: A review from the Multiverse rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Juliane
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Help! Help! Is there a group of mighty heroes who might save our earth from this evil?!"

If you now feeling like you're in a typical hero comic... you're right!
Sentinels of the Multiverse is exactly that. A comic.

You are playing as a hero of many kinds there are. From time traveling cowboys to the standard kind of superhero with verious powers; there is something for everyone.
Each hero has his own card deck, with different powers, equipment, relics and so on.

The mighty group comes to the rescue against one of many villains in one of many environments.
The environment remains neutral. Everything it spawns might be good or bad not only for you, but for the villain and his minions as well.

Each round the villain plays one of his cards and activate his or her powers and when the condition is met, he or she flips and reveals his or her true evil self.
The heroes must then play a card, use a power and draw a card to fight against the villain and the minions. Then the environment plays a card as well, affecting both parties.
If you're not careful, the environment destroys you before you are able to defeat the villain.

Each hero is not only different by his or her personality, but also by the strategy by which he or she is played. One focuses on powers, one is more of a fighter, one uses more equipment, or spells and then there are ones who support the rest of their group.

As different as the heroes are, as colorful are the villains and environments as well.

You can combine your fight as you like, fighting the same villain in different environments and its still always a different game, even though it's the same villain.

This game is never the same as the session before. Like a comic, you never know what might happen.
The artwork is comical as well, with small quotations on each card and sometimes even the typical "POW" on a card when your hero knocks someone out with the card.

There are many expansions to the game, all of which do not make the sessions bigger or longer, but just expand the pool of heroes, villains and environments to choose from. There are even some promos from existing villains or heroes, giving them different powers than their normal editions.

The sessions play in roughly an hour and even with two people it makes a lot of fun, since the villain and environment are auto-played. It's a cooperative game and that makes it a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmb
Nice review, thanks for it.

You are much faster at playing it than I am, though, I find we can rarely finish a game in less than an hour, it's usually more like 1.5 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.