badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Expansions Used: All in except Dragon

Ending Used: The Hunt

Number of Players: 4

Characters Played: Bounty Hunter, Assassin, Dragon Hunter, Monk, Ghoul

Winning Character: Dragon Hunter

Estimated Playtime: 5.5 hours

I played Bounty Hunter who was thrown in Jail and lost his life trying to escape 1 hour into the game and was replaced with Ghoul who never got anything going the whole game but I didn’t care as this was …well… I am just going to get right to it – our current group has been playing together for over 4 years now and this was hands down the best game we have ever had. Unanimously. We had the most fun egging each other on to draw Nether Realm cards and seeing what horrors awaited us.

We got to experience 27 of the Nether Realm cards in this game so really got a good taste for the expansion. As with our last game of this ending, it took a while before players started drawing NR cards but once they did, it snowballed rapidly since nobody wanted anyone else to get to 4 cards first. Don’t ask me why, but every time we drew a NR card, it, for some reason turned into a running joke: “Oooh, a Nether Realm card!”..... we sounded like the Tea Ladies from Monty Python.

The Ghoul and Assassin were both killed off by NR cards (Nether Blight and Nether Torment) but nobody left to go home – everyone wanted to see this play out.

There were multiple toadifications in the game – I think 5 in all which is a lot for us. Two of them were from the NR deck when only two players remained thanks to Dragon Toad and Dark Fey so it was toad on toad right at the end!

The Dragon Hunter and the Monk were left battling it out and racing to get to the CoC as they both had 6 NR cards. Dragon Hunter was much stronger but had no Talisman. Monk had a Talisman but wasn’t quite strong enough to get into the CoC he felt. Eventually Dragon Hunter picked up the Assassin’s loot, which included a Talisman, and off he went into the CoC. There was no real challenge once he made it into the Inner region and victory was his.

As I said, this was the best game ever and I will tell you why.

Personally, I don’t play to win as I am sure is the same for most of you. I just love this game. Having said that there are 1 or 2 in our group that DEFINITELY like to win and can get a little sore if a) they lose or b) they get killed too many times or c) just have a game of too much bad luck. That ALL changed in this game. Nobody cared about anything but having a great time and experiencing as many NR cards as we could. It was refreshing. This combo of the NR deck and The Hunt ending simply has a unique excitement. We touched on it in our first game with the Hunt, but this 2nd game just exploded for us.

We quite honestly think this is an amazing expansion and The Hunt, the best ending. (We enjoyed Pandora’s Box too a lot. The Gauntlet would be our least favorite of the three). Perhaps its very size - being smaller than a small box expansion - is where the secret lies.

The Titan Wraith with a Craft 13 was met with the (I assume) desired- “Holy %@#%!!!!” when it was drawn especially when the player drawing it (Monk) already was in possession of the Nether Bane – Fantastic!

In regard to Nether Bane. We all loved this card. It was well thought out that while it was really really bad, you knew it was only going to cause you one loss of life and then move on. The Evil that feels good ☺

Perhaps everything was aligned right this night to have the perfect game. There were a lot of things were different for us that may have played a part:

•   This was our first ever night time game. (We usually start late morning on a weekend. This was a 6pm start during the week!)
•   We drew ONE random character each. (We have always played draw 3 and pick one from those).
•   First ever game where all miniatures used were painted. (Ok I know this has nothing to do with anything but anyone here that has a hard time getting round to painting more than a few each year will be able to relate!).
•   We rarely use revealed endings. Don't really know why other than none of them have ever excited us enough to choose so. The Nether Realm has forced us out of this comfort-zone (for lack of a better term) and i am grateful for that.

This expansion is fantastic. As long as you have thick skin you are going to have a blast playing with it!

cool

End Stats:

Ghoul – S3 / C6 / L2 / G0 / F0
Dragon Hunter – S14 / C6 / L2 / G1 / F1
Assassin – S8 / C3 / L4 / G7 / F0
Monk – S6 / C8 / L2 / G0 / F2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried the Hunt yet, but I do absolutely love the Nether Realm, and my whole group appears to love it as well. We have only played Pandora's box so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, the Nether Realm! I so look forward to experiencing it, but I want to do so through Pandora's Box first. Perhaps after that we'll try the Hunt, though like you we've never played with revealed endings before.

Actually I do try to win, but I still accept death and disaster with good grace and good humor, not the least because the sheer experience of Talisman is so enjoyablecool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls