Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread is to discuss the rules and prepare for 2015's Play 10 Games 10 Times Each Challenge!

For those unfamiliar with the challenge, here is the 2014 Challenge: Play 10 Games 10 Times Each.

I need your help making the rules for next year's challenge as easy to understand as possibe. When I made this year's challenge, I did it for a few friends and never imagined it'd grow to be so popular. So I made a lot of mistakes that I'd like to avoid for next year.

Please take a look over this and provide feedback. I'll be continually updating this first post with revisions as well as posting it as the discussion continues.

Quote:
Goal of the Challenge:
As a counterpoint to the Cult of the New, this challenge encourages people to play each game several times to explore and experience them in depth. There is no rush to find the optimum strategy on your first play, or read all of the cards beforehand. Instead, each play reveals something more and something different, you get to try various strategies, and everyone's strategies evolve with their understanding and learning of the game. If you are tired of constantly learning new rules when running after the latest hotness, never really learning various strategies to any game, and needing to relearn the rules of old games because it's been too long since they were played, this is the challenge for you.

The Challenge: Play 10 games 10 times each in 2015
-Anyone can join at any time in 2015.
-There are 2 versions of the Challenge, Normal & Hardcore, which will be explained below.
Note: They are separate challenges, so a single play can only be counted for one list or the other if you participate in both challenges. You can have the same games on both lists, and even have the exact same list for both challenges, but you'd have to play each game 20 times.
The key difference with the Hardcore challenge is that you are not allowed to change your list of games once you have started. However, you may downgrade your Hardcore list to Normal at any point, but you will not be able to go back to Hardcore once you make the change.

How to join the Normal Challenge:
1. Add an item to the geeklist, either a game from your list or create your own Geeklist and enter its ID.
2. In the text field for the item, indicate in big bold letters that you are doing the Normal Challenge and then write down your ten games, if you've decided. You do not have to decide your 10 games ahead of time. You could even wait until you've finished playing 10 games 10 times each before posting to the challenge.
3. You may swap out games as you like. As long as you play 10 game 10 times by the end of 2015, you've succeeded at the challenge.
4. For each game, use whatever method you like for tracking the 10 plays.
5. You may include any plays that happened in 2015, even if they were before you joined the challenge.
6. When you have completed the challenge, played your 10 games 10 times, send me a GeekMail with a link to your item on this Geeklist. (Click on the number of your entry and it will give you a permanent hyperlink.) I must get a Geekmail by January 7th, 2016 for you to be eligible for prizes. Microbadges will still be awarded after that date.
7. If you have any questions, please send me a Geekmail or post in the comment section at the very bottom of this Geeklist. I will not be able to keep up with all the comments on the individual entries.

How to join the Hardcore Challenge:
1. Add an item to the geeklist, either a game from your list or create your own Geeklist and enter its ID.
2. In the text field for the item, indicate in big bold letters that you are doing the Hardcore Challenge and then write down your ten games including one alternate.
3. To complete the challenge, you must play 10 of the 11 games you've specified at least 10 times. You may not swap in/out any other games.
4. Comment on your item and copy the list of 11 games into it. Do not edit this comment. I will compare this unedited comment to your final list of games played to see if you changed anything or not.
5. For each game, use whatever method you like for tracking the 10 plays.
6. You may not include any plays that happened before you joined the challenge.
7. When you have completed the challenge, played your 10 games 10 times, send me a GeekMail with a link to your item on this Geeklist. (Click on the number of your entry and it will give you a permanent hyperlink.) I must get a Geekmail by January 7th, 2016 for you to be eligible for prizes. Microbadges will still be awarded after that date.
8. If you have any questions, please send me a Geekmail or post in the comment section at the very bottom of this Geeklist. I will not be able to keep up with all the comments on the individual entries

Prizes:
At the end of 2015, anyone who has completed either the Normal or Hardcore challenge will get a prize. I’m going to start with Geek Gold. I’m putting in 120 GG to get started and will add to it any GG donated to this Geek List. (User victoryzine donated the 100 GG.) The distribution of the GG will be dependent on how much is collected. If there is more than the number of finishers, then the GG will be distributed evenly to all the finishers. But if there is less GG than finishers, then it will be given away in equal chunks randomly among the finishers.

While I will be tracking my progress here, I will not be eligible for the prizes. And depending upon how the year goes, I may include more prizes, but no promises right now. I am also open to anyone who would like to donate prizes. Just send me a Geekmail.

Microbadges
A big thanks goes out to a very talented Microbadge designer:
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb

She's designed all five of the Microbadges below.

Participant Microbadge: This one is purchasable and is not specific to the year. mb

Hardcore Participant Microbadge: This one is purchasable and is not specific to the year. mb

Completed Normal Award: This one will be awarded by the admins to all those who succeed at the Normal challenge. Note: not approved yet

Completed Hardcore Award: This one will be awarded by the admins to all those who succeed at the Hardcore challenge. Note: not approved yet

If you're a fan of the 10x10 Challenge, then you can buy this Microbadge: mb

Details of what does and does not count:
--If you play a game multiple times in a row, each completed game counts as a play. Partial games do not count, but can be added together to count as whole games.

--Feel free to include expansions in your games. It is suggested that when playing expansions that cannot be played on their own, list the entry under the main game. No need to specify the expansions used at any point. Unless your goal is to play an expansion 10 times then list the expansion as the entry.

--For expansions that can be played on their own as well as games in a series that can be mixed, you have two options:
1. List them as separate games, count their plays separately.
2. List them together as one game, count their plays together.

--Any games in a series that cannot be combined count as their own game. For example, the Tempest line of games are distinctly different, even though they are in a series.

--Feel free to play your games in any order that you like. You don't have to start with #1 and play all 10 games before going to #2. Unless that is how you want to do it.

--Role-playing games count. Each session counts as a play. So if you meet 10 times, that's 10 plays.

--For games that have scenarios, playing through a scenario counts as a play.

--Since a war game scenario can last hours, much longer than most board games, a play is counted for at least a two-hour block of time. It is up to each person to decide what a play means to them because this is a personal challenge, so you can make a play of a war game a longer period of time, up to a completed scenario.

--Online/digital games count regardless if you are playing against a person or the computer AI. The digital and physical games have to have the same rules (thus the same components) It also must have the same name as the original. It can't be a differently named game with similar game-play. "Normal" video games do not count for this challenge.

--Solo play counts.

--CCGs/LCGs count as they're tabletop games. Anything classified as a tabletop game counts for this challenge.

--If you participated in the challenge last year, feel free to include any games you played then in this year's challenge. It's a new year, a new start.

How do I do...
If you are unsure of how to do something to join this challenge, please check out these handy how-to links.
FAQ for the Play 10 Games 10 Times Each Challenges
Overview of Geeklists
How to add an entry to a Geeklist

Discussion Thread
For any and all conversation about the 2015 challenge, please check out 2015 Challenge: Play 10 Games 10 Times Each discussion.

NemeStats: Additional Tool to Help Keep Track of Plays
NemeStats (as in "Nemesis Statistics") is a free web application for logging games played among a relatively stable group of players. It takes only a moment and will give you statistics on your win percentage, average rank in games, who is your Nemesis and who is your Minion, etc. http://nemestats.com

The h-index of 2015 15+ Challenge (15x15 in 2015 Challenge)
You can keep going and try to play at least 15 games 15 times in 2015 (225 plays), and show your participation with the mb badge. This challenge requires that you link to to your logged plays in your list (either individually, or for all plays in 2015 for a specific game). You don't need to list the 15 games beforehand, and you can include any/all plays done for the 10x10 challenge(s). When completed, you can buy mb. This challenge is separate from the 10x10 challenges and does not qualify for any of the prizes listed above. It's a self-moderated challenge, so when you complete it, you do not need to contact Sarah.

Other Gaming Challenges to Check out:
2015 RPGG Challenge: Play Five RPGs You Have Never Played Before (Each At Least Once)
2015 RPGG GM Challenge - Run 5 Games You Have Never Run!
2015 Gaming Challenge: 2 x 2 x 12 Get 'Em On The Table! Challenge
4P 2015 - A challenge to playtest your game 4 times in one month
Alternative 2015 Challenge Lists
2015 Challenge: REVIEW 10 games played 10 times each
The 2015 open-to-all "100 games x 1" challenge -- Exploring Diversity

To Get a Head Start
For anyone who would like to get a head-start on planing their list of games for 2015 (or in case you might be traveling at the beginning of January 2015 and won't be able to log on before you start playing your games) you may create a Geeklist in 2014 with your list of 10 games plus one alternate. In the first comment on your Geeklist, post the list of games and do not edit the comment. I will use this to compare at the end for Hardcore validation. For item 6 above, instead please post a note to check your Geeklist for verification.

Thank you for your help as I want to make this a big success next year!

Here is the 2015 geeklist!

2015 Challenge: Play 10 Games 10 Times Each
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
Welcome to fall in the Midwest and a property with a lot of mature trees!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarah - under the hardcore challenge section, I'm not sure I understand item #6. What is the purpose of adding the comment?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Marie
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
The most beautiful things in nature stay that way because most humans are too lazy to ruin them ...
mbmbmbmbmb
ngwilliam wrote:
Sarah - under the hardcore challenge section, I'm not sure I understand item #6. What is the purpose of adding the comment?

To keep a copy of the original list unedited, so it's clear if you stuck with the first 10 games chose (hard core) or chose to later swap any ..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobie
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Keep Lookin' Up
badge
Cloud break over Centennial Hall, Fairmount Park, Philadelphia, after a severe thunderstorm
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for doing this....I'm almost done with the 2014 challenge...and looking toward the 2015 challenge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still haven't played one game 10 times this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Grenon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to try this next year! Awesome RPGs count. That's the one thing I feel pretty confident I can finish 10 times in one year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tankgrlnz wrote:
ngwilliam wrote:

To keep a copy of the original list unedited, so it's clear if you stuck with the first 10 games chose (hard core) or chose to later swap any ..

Yep, exactly why. I'll add a sentence in there to make it clearer.

Glad to see people looking forward to this! I've very much enjoyed running it this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also added a section for the Goal of the Challenge. It's not very robust right now, so if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the "Prizes" section, you state that the prizes (geekgold) will be split among those who succeed in the challenge. What will you do in the unlikely event that the number of completed challengers exceeds the amount of geekgold you have?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ngwilliam wrote:
In the "Prizes" section, you state that the prizes (geekgold) will be split among those who succeed in the challenge. What will you do in the unlikely event that the number of completed challengers exceeds the amount of geekgold you have?

ooh, good point. That's a tough one. I will do my best to supplement it with my own GG so that everyone gets at least .01 GG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SilvaShado wrote:
ngwilliam wrote:

ooh, good point. That's a tough one. I will do my best to supplement it with my own GG so that everyone gets at least .01 GG.

You shouldn't be on the hook for that. Do you want to consider breaking up the final total into even chunks and give those away randomly to the finishers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you could just state that the prizes will be dependent on how much geekgold is collected. If you get more than the number of finishers, then you'll distributed evenly to all the finishers. But if you get less, then you can give it away in chunks. Then you're covered either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
SilvaShado wrote:
I also added a section for the Goal of the Challenge. It's not very robust right now, so if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Maybe say something about the need to learn new rules and relearn the rules of old games because you play it only once a year or two. I'm rephrasing the whole thing, it is upto you which parts or how you want (or not) to incorporate things.

Goal of the Challenge:
As a counterpoint to the Cult of the New, this challenge encourages people to play each game several times to explore and experience them in depth. There is no rush to find the optimum strategy on your first play, or read all of the cards beforehand. Instead, each play reveals something more and something different, you get to try various strategies, and everyones strategies evolve with their understanding and learning of the game. If you are tired of constantly learning new rules when running after the latest hotness, never really learning various strategies to any game, and needing to relearn the rules of old games because it is too long since they were played, this is the challenge for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
Enjoy Life !
badge
Just do it!
mb
Sarah you´re awesome!
Hats off to everyone who is taking part in this again!
Although I managed to complete my hardcore list, I realised that I don´t want to do it again.
10 x 10 is too much for me.

Good luck to all of you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ngwilliam wrote:
Or you could just state that the prizes will be dependent on how much geekgold is collected. If you get more than the number of finishers, then you'll distributed evenly to all the finishers. But if you get less, then you can give it away in chunks. Then you're covered either way.

This is a great idea! Thanks Noreen. I certainly don't want to be on the hook for something I may or may not have. This will work well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
SilvaShado wrote:

Maybe say something about the need to learn new rules and relearn the rules of old games because you play it only once a year or two. I'm rephrasing the whole thing, it is upto you which parts or how you want (or not) to incorporate things.

Goal of the Challenge:
As a counterpoint to the Cult of the New, this challenge encourages people to play each game several times to explore and experience them in depth. There is no rush to find the optimum strategy on your first play, or read all of the cards beforehand. Instead, each play reveals something more and something different, you get to try various strategies, and everyones strategies evolve with their understanding and learning of the game. If you are tired of constantly learning new rules when running after the latest hotness, never really learning various strategies to any game, and needing to relearn the rules of old games because it is too long since they were played, this is the challenge for you.

Awesome Pasi! That's exactly what I was looking for, but not sure how to state it. I only tinkered with a few words, otherwise kept it as you wrote it. Thank you so much!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maho wrote:
Sarah you´re awesome!
Hats off to everyone who is taking part in this again!
Although I managed to complete my hardcore list, I realised that I don´t want to do it again.
10 x 10 is too much for me.

Good luck to all of you!

Aw, thanks Marion! I'm glad you completed this year's challenge and hats off to you with whatever gaming you do next year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I like things arnmod
mbmbmbmbmb
Could someone play 5 games 20 times each or 1 game 100 times?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
RingelTree wrote:

That's an alternate challenge some people have been thinking about.

My hardcore 10x10 challenge ended up becoming 9x10 + 1x100 (ONUWW). (I'm now trying to get another list finished with 6 pre-2004 games, currently at 71%.)

For hundred plays, see The 100 Play Challenge: In Support of Deeper Exploration of Games. I'm at 46% with BSG in this item. I did not want to enter with ONUWW, because it is so short that 100 plays is no challenge. Also, part of the challenge is to write short (or in my case long) session reports and write down the evolving thoughts, feelings, strategies, and understanding of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg S.
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RingelTree wrote:

I would say, absolutely yes!

And if you join a 5x20 or 1x100 contest, you would win it. But a 5x20 or 1x100 record wouldn't qualify for the 10x10 challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RingelTree wrote:

As others have said, for this challenge, it has to be 10 games that you play 10 times each. However, i fully support anyone to start up a different challenge.

Like Pasi, I am also trying the 1X100, though with Dominion. Not very far into it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I make stuff. Visit jpeetdesigns.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a fantastic challenge, I'm in when the time comes! Thank you for setting this up.

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarah - this may be more than you want to get into, but I was thinking that it might be helpful to add some links at the bottom for various How-to's. For example, there could be a link on how to add an item to a geeklist, how to create a geeklist, or how to subscribe to a geeklist. It may be helpful for new BGG users that would like to participate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeremy - so glad you're looking forward to it!

ngwilliam wrote:
Sarah - this may be more than you want to get into, but I was thinking that it might be helpful to add some links at the bottom for various How-to's. For example, there could be a link on how to add an item to a geeklist, how to create a geeklist, or how to subscribe to a geeklist. It may be helpful for new BGG users that would like to participate.

That's actually a great idea. Thank you Noreen! I did have a lot of questions this year on how to do things, so having them in the header will make things easier, hopefully, one everyone.

Here's what I could find, and oddly, I couldn't find anything that goes over all the elements of how to make a Geeklist. So please, if anyone has any good how-tos for Geeklists, please post links.

How do I do...
If you are unsure of how to do something to join this challenge, please check out these handy how-to links.
Overview of Geeklists
How to add an entry to a Geeklist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SilvaShado wrote:
However, i fully support anyone to start up a different challenge.

Obvious challenge is obvious. 15 in 15. 15 of your unplayed games in '15.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [46] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.