Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The Kickstarter is now live!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1402889231/age-of-conan...

Early birds will last for 24 hours (until October, 10th, 1 PM UTC/GMT).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
And now it's FUNDED! By Crom!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Elliker
Switzerland
flag msg tools
Congratulations.

I really like the very sleek lickstarter, i.e. just two (or rather four) pledge levels and a very clear structure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert tunstall
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
congratulations Ares.

Looking forward to the spy minis...whistle

Spring can't come too soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I replied in another post about this ks, but i had a question. I don't have the original game, but why would I back the Barbarian King level, pay $60 more for the 1st edition game, when I can buy it online now for only $40? The stretch goals only apply to the Barbarian level, so it looks like I'm better off just buying the game now, and if I like it, pledge for the expansion. Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
tlee33 wrote:
I replied in another post about this ks, but i had a question. I don't have the original game, but why would I back the Barbarian King level, pay $60 more for the 1st edition game, when I can buy it online now for only $40? The stretch goals only apply to the Barbarian level, so it looks like I'm better off just buying the game now, and if I like it, pledge for the expansion. Right?

They have a limited supply. 60 is retail for the base game. Can't blame them for selling it at that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:

They have a limited supply. 60 is retail for the base game. Can't blame them for selling it at that!

I still see the 1st edition game being sold at amazon and miniature market for only $40 so it doesn't make sense to me....

Anyway, I backed the expansion, and will prob order the game from MM. I'd consider the Barbarian King level, if it was a new edition, but seems like they're using it to get rid of their old stock before they reprint it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
tlee33 wrote:
corkysru wrote:

I still see the 1st edition game being sold at amazon and miniature market for only $40 so it doesn't make sense to me....

Anyway, I backed the expansion, and will prob order the game from MM. I'd consider the Barbarian King level, if it was a new edition, but seems like they're using it to get rid of their old stock before they reprint it.

Wouldn't you sell off the old stock? I know I would. Or are you that rich that you could just let it rot in your warehouse?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:

Wouldn't you sell off the old stock? I know I would. Or are you that rich that you could just let it rot in your warehouse?

Yes...but not ripping off customers. Sell it at the going rate. Seriously, I remember seeing this for $25 at the Fantasy Flight holiday sale for the past 2 years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tlee33 wrote:
corkysru wrote:

Yes...but not ripping off customers. Sell it at the going rate. Seriously, I remember seeing this for $25 at the Fantasy Flight holiday sale for the past 2 years.

We don't know what they paid FFG for them. They have to think about future value which should now be increasing again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Letourneau
Canada
St-Lambert
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tlee33 wrote:
corkysru wrote:

That price from FFG was to get rid of the stock for a game that was "dead" for all intents and purposes. Now it is beeing revived with an expansion and more to come if the KS does well. Completely different context. As for the lower prices on internet stores, well, this is an issue that is as old as the internet right? If it makes sense to you to buy it from the internet store because you can bundle it with other games to get free shipping, then I would do the same as you are planning to do. But to say that Ares is ripping off backers because they sell the base game at MSRP is stretching it quite a bit.

As to the fact that they are selling old stock, why not? Did you see the componants in that 1st edition? They are absolutely outstanding. Wait 'till you see the thickness of those counters! If they have enough stock to accomodate this KS, there is absolutely no need for a reprint...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Elliker
Switzerland
flag msg tools
Firstly, you would back the Kickstarter at the Barbarian King Level if all of the online options that sell it cheaper charge so much for shipping that it does not matter anymore.

Secondly, it is not ripping of the customer. It is actually a common business practice for publishers, that have an online store, to not sell the games cheaper than the MSRP because that would make it less desirable for other stores to sell it as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tlee33 wrote:
corkysru wrote:

You really don't understand how a company and MSRP works do you?

Online companies sell games well below MSRP because they don't have the overhead(and in the process customers that only shop online are killing B&M stores.. thanks for that.. without them we would not have many places to play) that a B&M store does. That is the point of MSRP it gives profit margin to stores.
The publisher sells it to distributors at a certain % of MSRP. The distributors sell it to Stores at a higher %. Then stores sell it to you.

Online prices ARE NOT MSRP. This game in particular retail at (or above) the price they are charging. Honestly if this came today it would probably retail at 70 or maybe even 80.
Retail of 60 is usually what the square box games from FFG or DoW or similar sized games sell for. The larger box ones sell for me(go look up battle of the five armies).

So no.. .they aren't ripping you off. In fact if you actually looked around the forums they themselves said if you can find it cheaper somewhere else GET IT!

They are selling it at an acceptable rate and quite frankly with no shipping it might be cheaper depending on WHERE you get it from.

Now on to more important things:
We need more stretch goals!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok ok...got it...just saying that it is cheaper elsewhere for those interested, and FYI, amazon has it for $40 w/ free shipping so don't argue that the $60 is a good value. Anyway, that's it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was always an $80 MSRP.

I bet if and when they reprint they will have trouble matching the quality for the price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tlee33 wrote:
Ok ok...got it...just saying that it is cheaper elsewhere for those interested, and FYI, amazon has it for $40 w/ free shipping so don't argue that the $60 is a good value. Anyway, that's it.

When did I said good value? I said FAIR. As in "the company selling the game has every right to sell it BELOW MSRP".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The difference between Hero and King (or the cost of the base game, if you prefer) is $ 55, to be precise.

That said, if you can find it cheaper on the 'net, go for it! In fact, the shipping costs eat up so much margin on Barbarian King pledges, that you're in fact doing us a favor :-)

But a lot of places sell it for even more, and as the publisher, we don't have much interest to sell at a price which is wildly different from what we think is the value of the product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to argue with you, but if they want to offer incentives to get people to back it, I don't see much incentive for ordering the main game through them. I'm just offering an option for other gamers. Pay what you guys want, it's your money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tlee33 wrote:
I don't want to argue with you, but if they want to offer incentives to get people to back it, I don't see much incentive for ordering the main game through them. I'm just offering an option for other gamers. Pay what you guys want, it's your money.

And I do want to debate it. If you offer an opinion in a public forum everyone has the right to debate it.
And if you didn't want to argue and just wanted to post an opinion why did you make so many replies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, lets debate it.

First of all, my original post was not an opinion. It was a fact. I was asking why the kickstarter is offering the core game at a higher price that can be purchased now. When I said Ares was ripping us off, I'm sorry, that was just in reply to your post and was purely an emotional response. (But I do feel it's a ripoff to offer old stock at that kind of price if they want people to back the kickstarter, which is my opinion)

Why do people post in Hot Deals? To offer fellow gamers better prices on games. So what's different from me posting publicly that you can get this game cheaper elsewhere?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Mistiaen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Backed!

cybernex wrote:

That is a-ma-zing! Barely over an hour.

corkysru wrote:
[q="tlee33"]And if you didn't want to argue and just wanted to post an opinion why did you make so many replies?

Even more: he found useful to have the exact same debate in two separate threads snore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tlee33 wrote:
Okay, lets debate it.

First of all, my original post was not an opinion. It was a fact. I was asking why the kickstarter is offering the core game at a higher price that can be purchased now. When I said Ares was ripping us off, I'm sorry, that was just in reply to your post and was purely an emotional response. (But I do feel it's a ripoff to offer old stock at that kind of price if they want people to back the kickstarter, which is my opinion)

Why do people post in Hot Deals? To offer fellow gamers better prices on games. So what's different from me posting publicly that you can get this game cheaper elsewhere?

#1: It's not THEIR old stock. They had to buy it from FFG.
#2: They had posted earlier(last week I think) that if anyone could find it , they encouraged you to buy it cheaper while you could
#3: They are not doing a second edition, just a reprint later in the year(2015) so while this batch is old stock it's not like it's not relevant.
#4: It's their product now. If they wanted to sell it at what they will have to sell the new stuff for, that would be their right as publisher.
#5: My first response was simply explaining that you can't blame a company for selling something and trying to make a couple bucks. The fact that I had the wrong MSRP only makes my case stronger.
#6: There is nothing wrong with you posting that you can find it somewhere else cheaper, there is something wrong with the implications that they are ripping you off when they themselves said to go buy it somewhere else.
#6.1: You might say "well I didn't know". That doesn't change anything. They still said it long before you mentioned it. Not many companies would do that. They deserve props for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Corwin1980 wrote:
Backed!

cybernex wrote:

That is a-ma-zing! Barely over an hour.

corkysru wrote:
[q="tlee33"]And if you didn't want to argue and just wanted to post an opinion why did you make so many replies?

Even more: he found useful to have the exact same debate in two separate threads snore

Oh I missed the other one somehow... lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros Boucharelis
Greece
Drama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ubi bene ibi patria // vidi perfutui veni
mbmbmbmbmb
expansion rulebook?

the spies tokens they gonna have the same picture? only color change per kingdom?

the spies minis will be the same for all the factions?

I ask because at least the spy token should be different per faction as any other figure in the base game.

Congrats for the successful kickstater! and thank you for creating a great boardgame, i m a huge fan of AoC by Crom's Axe!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
tlee33 wrote:
Okay, lets debate it.

#1: It's not THEIR old stock. They had to buy it from FFG.
#2: They had posted earlier(last week I think) that if anyone could find it , they encouraged you to buy it cheaper while you could
#3: They are not doing a second edition, just a reprint later in the year(2015) so while this batch is old stock it's not like it's not relevant.
#4: It's their product now. If they wanted to sell it at what they will have to sell the new stuff for, that would be their right as publisher.
#5: My first response was simply explaining that you can't blame a company for selling something and trying to make a couple bucks. The fact that I had the wrong MSRP only makes my case stronger.
#6: There is nothing wrong with you posting that you can find it somewhere else cheaper, there is something wrong with the implications that they are ripping you off when they themselves said to go buy it somewhere else.
#6.1: You might say "well I didn't know". That doesn't change anything. They still said it long before you mentioned it. Not many companies would do that. They deserve props for that.

I did not blame the company for selling it at the price that was listed. I was just questioning it. I was wondering if I was missing something in the pricing. I never even attacked them, until you started arguing with me over an honest question that I had about their pricing and I apoligized for that. But as it is my opinion, I still don't think its a fair price especially if they are trying to get new players into this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.