Machina Arcana» Forums » General

Subject: Bonus scenario rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
michael paal
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
After failing the bonus scenario (endgame) for the second time I would like to know if you think that it is possible to win the game.

I am also not sure if I have played it properly. I failed to seal monster spawns all time as monsters reduced my essence and I was not sure how I could restore with killing only monsters.

- there is no card that allows you to add treasure levels, so I had extreme difficulties to kill monsters once lvl 2 and 3 are reached for them.
- also I am not sure how to play the endgame:
1) do explorers need to shut down monster spawns for part 1 of the endgame in order to light those chapters?
2) can an explorer use the pylon to restore essence and teleport to a explorer entry field even if the nearby chapter space has been restored? or is it only possible to restore essence with those 2 explorer event fields and by killing monsters.
3) also endgame part 2 was not really clear for me.

Well as mentioned, playing with lvl 1 items on the endgame tile sucks (especially vs immobile monsters that hit every explorer all the time)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaroslav Platash
Ukraine
Kyiv
flag msg tools
Just beaten this scenario yesterday in 2-player game.

We chose long way to endgame, and searched almost all treasure deck for weapons, which fit perfectly for selected survivors, while exploring tiles.
The most pleased thing was that we reached Endgame still on Monster level 2 (but after few turns it was increased to 3).

Part 1 was quite easy, especially with ability to teleport to adjacent space (provided by one of the helmets) - this gave us opportunity to quickly return to the pillar after using.
Second player had 'sliding boots', so he also could quickly back to the central part of the tile.
Also both players had almost full essence, so we could quickly start with sealing of Monster Spawns.
We found two ways to light chapters:
1) some quest events, which we had uncompleted, and finished in Endgame
2) sealing Monster Spawns (MS). It was also very helpful in our try to stay as long as we could, on lowest possible monster level

Tactics was easy: one player gathered essence by using Pillar and returning to it for next use (killing monsters on the way in good occasion), while other player stayed near MS to seal. After successful sealing they switched roles, so almost all the time one of survivors had essence enough to seal MS.

Second part was much harder.
We needed to seal MS again, in order to have possibility to hit Pillar.
So the tactics was similar as in part 1, with one difference - we started to seal MS without hitting Pillar right after sealing, so we didn't took explored tokens from spawns when used Pillar, until all spawns were sealed.
We hadn't problems with lvl 2 monsters, but those from lvl 3 were harder to beat, so we made a trick: one of players had ability to become ethereal (by artifact), and he stayed near MS, when lvl 3 monster appeared on it, while other player tried to gather quickly essence for sealing, and periodically healed first player using his own artifact.
Also one of players had powerful arcane attacks ('Ritual cloak'+weapon ), while other player had weapon with normal attacks, so sometimes this was enough to deal with lvl 3 directly by killing.

Anyway, that slowed our preparations dramatically, so when we had 1 MS left unsealed, lvl 4 monsters appeared in deck. Some of them even entered our Feast of Life.
So, last stage of the session was - RUNNING . We ran around the tile, trying to have enough essence to seal last spawn, and then quickly back to the Pillar last two times: time has come to kill this stone!
So each player used the Pillar two times more as usual, but with refreshing of MS during the process. Firstly we refreshed far MS (but teleported to enter spaces closer to pillar), so monsters had to move several turns in order to reach us.
Then Monster Level 5 appeared .
But no one could stop us: we avoided two lvl 4 creatures, and hit the Pillar twice again.

And regarding your questions:
1) answered above
2) yes, can. But we tried not to teleport to lit chapter spaces: we decided that lit chapter space could be refreshed to 'unlit' space in that case.
3) hope, that answer on this question is clearly described above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael paal
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
well done : )))

when playing the endgame tile I always lost essence when defending monsters.
But I think aquiring full essence before the endgame commences is the key, and also as you suggest aquiring proper items.

thx for those hints. I will try it again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael paal
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
probably it is also easier to play the map with several explorers, right? (more essence more possibilities to seal MS).

tried it solo, and had no chance as monster levels simply increased : )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaroslav Platash
Ukraine
Kyiv
flag msg tools
Indeed. Solo play is a little bit harder. You may need to have good flexible strategy for selected explorer, and some luck to obtain proper items for quick killing.
Also in coop play players may differentiate their roles - for example, one has powerful gear for normal attacks, other - for arcane.
In solo play player usually has to switch weapons in such cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.