Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that Spoils do not add to your engine, that is any icons on them are ignored throughout the game. However, it isn't clear what to do with them during scoring. This question is regarding Spoils cards during scoring only.

When scoring, does Influence, Capitols, and Planet-type count from a Spoils card? Is it still considered a Planet for +1(I) per planet? We can't decide which way it should be so we need your guidance. Fortunately my wife beat me either way the ruling went so our relationship remains intact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kvenosdel wrote:
I understand that Spoils do not add to your engine, that is any icons on them are ignored throughout the game. However, it isn't clear what to do with them during scoring. This question is regarding Spoils cards during scoring only.

When scoring, does Influence, Capitols, and Planet-type count from a Spoils card?

Yes, all of that stuff counts during scoring - you simply cannot reveal icons from Spoils. Maybe I should change the line in the rulebook to say that instead (you cannot reveal Spoils).

Quote:
Is it still considered a Planet for +1(I) per planet?

No, it is not a "Planet" - it is "Spoils" instead.

Quote:
We can't decide which way it should be so we need your guidance. Fortunately my wife beat me either way the ruling went so our relationship remains intact.

Whew! Close one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
kvenosdel wrote:

When scoring, does Influence, Capitols, and Planet-type count from a Spoils card?

Yes, all of that stuff counts during scoring - you simply cannot reveal icons from Spoils. Maybe I should change the line in the rulebook to say that instead (you cannot reveal Spoils).

Thanks! We played correctly then. That would be a much better wording.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
Quote:
Is it still considered a Planet for +1(I) per planet?

No, it is not a "Planet" - it is "Spoils" instead.

I can understand from a game-design standpoint something is either X or Y but not both, but I have a hard time thematically not seeing a spoil as also a planet. It certainly looks like a planet. It's big and round and orbits a sun. Unless the result of warfare is complete annihilation and stripping of all resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's more along the lines of not having the time within the game to restart industry and ensure the peaceful cooperation of the inhabitants. They may still be a functional society, but they ain't working for you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would it make sense to have the scoring condition read "+1 per colonised planet"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSheep wrote:
Would it make sense to have the scoring condition read "+1 per colonised planet"?

Right, this is what it means. I like the shorthand because there's not a lot of space for words.

I will look into adding "Colonized" there, I do think that would avoid confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
BlackSheep wrote:

Right, this is what it means. I like the shorthand because there's not a lot of space for words.

If you're really tight for space, it could be "+1 per colony", since you can only colonize each planet once...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:
BlackSheep wrote:

If you're really tight for space, it could be "+1 per colony", since you can only colonize each planet once...

Good idea, Richard!

Also, as for the "no planetary benefits" line, I think it would be clearer if it instead said "you cannot reveal Spoils when resolving actions" or something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
rahdo wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:
BlackSheep wrote:

Good idea, Richard!

+1 per colony can work as long as the rulebook talks about colonies instead of just colonizing. There will be people who could get confused by the difference.

Quote:

Also, as for the "no planetary benefits" line, I think it would be clearer if it instead said "you cannot reveal Spoils when resolving actions" or something like that.

Make sure it is clear in the rulebook that spoils are not colonies though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
kvenosdel wrote:
+1 per colony can work as long as the rulebook talks about colonies instead of just colonizing. There will be people who could get confused by the difference.

Yup, it would be a nomenclature change, but I think it could make things simplier (though the game is pretty simple/streamlined already).

Basically,

*There are 3 stacks of Planets at the start.

*A Planet can be claimed and turned into a Colony via successful Colonize action, and the player can then use their Colonies to enhance future actions.

*A Planet OR a Colony belonging to any player can be turned into Spoils via a successful Warfare action, and then belongs to the attacking player.

*Once a card becomes Spoils, it can't attacked further, nor can it be used for anything in the game other than final scoring.

Pretty simple (great game, btw!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I like Ham's suggestions. Also, this game is incredible for just 34 cards. What a design achievement!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.